Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMA in the Midwest

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
I know that mma is fairly popular in california and that the west coast is littered with various mma camps, but i cant seem to find a place in wichita, KS that specializes in mma. theres lots of different martial arts academies but not anything that brings them together or specializes in the sport of mma. I heard that there was a place in Topeka but ive never seen it. Myabe mma just hasnt spread across the country that far yet...

Last edited 1/19/07 8:10PM server time by gladiator
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/19/07 8:10:21PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
I'm from the UK and I have no idea, but I will ask friends on other sites and see if I can find out any information for you, that being if nobody else has anything to offer..

Post #2   1/19/07 8:19:37PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
I really don't think there are many MMA Gyms in the Midwest. Your best bet would be to find a good Kickboxing gym and a good Jiu-Jitsu gym and just cross train. Or move to St. Louis and train at Finney's.

I'm going to plug my gym every chance I get.

Post #3   1/27/07 4:00:24AM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Chips:
ya i would love to learn some kickboxing, but it seems like u never know what ur going to get with all these tae-go and aerobic kickboxing classes and gyms around. Theres a muy-thai place in my city im thinking about joining... and thats about as close as it gets

Post #4   1/28/07 9:45:15PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
Try and do a little investigating and find out if any gyms around your area actually sponsor figters. If they do then they are most definitely a "fight gym." Shamrock Promotions puts on about 5 Midwest Fight Fests per year which is a mixed Kickboxing/Boxing/MMA event and we have fighters come from all over the place, Kansas included. Just look up Martial Arts in the phone book and start calling schools and asking questions.

Post #5   1/29/07 1:33:33PM   

ufc_fan

Learning to Sprawl

Career:746-625
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
Go to www.fightresource.com. you should be able to find something there.

Post #6   1/29/07 9:06:27PM   

ufc_fan

Learning to Sprawl

Career:746-625
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu of Wichita

Post #7   1/29/07 9:16:18PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Chips:
is there really a bjj place in wichita?! i saw some judo places and muy-thai in the phone book but no bjj place, must be fairly new

Post #8   1/30/07 12:24:23PM   

Brick

MMA Regular

Brick Avatar

Career:1,294-641
Camp: Dead Skin Mask
Chips:
A bit far from the area you are describing, perhaps, but MMA gyms are thriving in Ohio. There are quite a few in Columbus alone. We also have several events per year, both amateur and pro. I just participated in my first Octagon fight on 1/27 in Columbus and it was a blast.

Post #9   2/3/07 10:50:38AM   

chicken

Learning to Sprawl

Career:16-11
Chips:
Janjira Muay Thai is in the phonebook, located on south Oliver. There is a boxing, muay thai, and bjj instructor under the same roof. They put on the Midwest Cage Combat at the Cotillion.

Last edited 2/4/07 2:59AM server time by chicken
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   2/4/07 2:58:45AM   

JoeRoganPwnsMMA

Learning to Sprawl

JoeRoganPwnsMMA Avatar

Career:184-119
Chips:
I live in KC and there isn't really shit here either. I was taking kickboxing with an independant guy and training BJJ with the police academy. I know theres a division of ATT in columbia missouri. I wish there was a more complete MMA training center located in the midwest. Would be totally kickass.

Post #11   2/4/07 4:54:01PM   

JasperRealtor

Learning to Sprawl

JasperRealtor Avatar

Career:558-507
Camp: MMA Forum
Chips:
I feel everyone's pain. I live in southern Indiana and it seems like all we have here is karate.

Post #12   2/5/07 2:21:48AM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
i live in northeast missouri, and you are lucky if you can find something other than tai kwon do around here

Post #13   4/5/07 1:38:32PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by Gladiator

ya i would love to learn some kickboxing, but it seems like u never know what ur going to get with all these tae-go and aerobic kickboxing classes and gyms around. Theres a muy-thai place in my city im thinking about joining... and thats about as close as it gets

I tell everyone to start out with boxing, or traditional kickboxing before stepping up to Muay Thai. Muay Thai(atleast for me, and a lot of other people I've talked to) is much much more of a commitment. Start off with something that focuses more on technique like boxing/kickboxing, and then when you think you're ready step on over to the thai bags. The main difference I've experienced/heard is that Muay Thai is basically a much higher level of intensity because they incorporate a lot of cardio into the workouts as well.

Check out the local kickboxing gym, find out what they offer. But don't join any of that tae-bo or cardio kickboxing stuff. Thats for what exactly it says, cardio. They don't stress technique, and you most likely won't do ANY live sparring, which gets you nowhere. Hope it helps.

Post #14   4/5/07 5:39:37PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Chips:
actually ive got good news for anybody else in wichita, KS theres actually a place here called The Dog Pound that is a gym specifically built for boxing, jiu-jitsu, and MMA purposes. i was just there last week and its a really nice facility, they have lots of trainers and classes for each disipline except muy-thai right now. im going to join later this month but i dont know if i should start off with MMA first or just learn some basic boxing, im not exactly sure what the MMA class teaches but i imagine it covers ground and standup. anyone in the area should definitely check it out, if its your first time there u get a pass for 2 free sessions, they have sparring three times a week and a competetive MMA league, they sponser the Chaos in the Colloseum events.

Post #15   4/6/07 12:23:23AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2