Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

DREAM - Worthy of Primary League status now?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Dream definitely needs to lay off the late additions and scraped fights before they're added.

If Affliction consistantly puts on cards of that quality, I'm sure they'll be there in no time. They had one fight not go down because of something out of their control, and they found a decent replacement to boot.

What about WEC? They're consistent enough, aren't they?

Post #16   7/21/08 4:16:11PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by TequilaMan2000

Posted by emfleek

What about WEC? They're consistent enough, aren't they?

Consistent, but they are clearly minor leagues...

Not primary league material. The Dream card, and the Affliction card were primary league material (ie, many Top 10 fighters, whereas WEC has ZERO TOP 10 FIGHTERS)...

No way... that would be lame. If they don't consistently have Top 10 fighters, they shouldn't even be considered for the Primary league.

And as far as Dream being late or whatever... that's how Pride was.

Antonio Banuelos is Top 5!!!!!!!

Post #17   7/21/08 4:24:39PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
I wasn't actually serious about Banuelos.

But you're right...Faber, Torres, Pulver. The WEC has LOTS of great talent. It just so happens that they're not your typical household names.

I think the WEC would be a great addition to the Primary league.

And if I didn't despise Gary Shaw so much, I'd say the same thing about EliteXC.

Post #18   7/21/08 4:36:02PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Career:575-327
Chips:
I think the UFC should be the only thing in the primary league.

UFN had 6000 and some picks..and Dream 5 only had like 2000 and some picks

So thats roughly around 3500 to 4000 members who didnt pick the dream card.

But im sure once people log in and see a card other than the UFC in the Primary they would pick it im sure....

My vote would be WEC though.

Post #19   7/21/08 4:40:47PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Put it on the Primary league and the numbers would be the same as the UFC numbers. Those 4000 people that didn't pick probably don't participate in the Secondary league.

Post #20   7/21/08 4:47:55PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Put it on the Primary league and the numbers would be the same as the UFC numbers. Those 4000 people that didn't pick probably don't participate in the Secondary league.

True ...you just must've not read where i said

But im sure once people log in and see a card other than the UFC in the Primary they would pick it im sure

Post #21   7/21/08 4:49:40PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
You're right...I didn't see that.

Now I must cut you.

Post #22   7/21/08 4:54:28PM   

iwannabesedated

banned

iwannabesedated Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

You're right...I didn't see that.

Now I must cut you.

I bleed Jelly and Jack Daniels...

Post #23   7/21/08 4:55:44PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Why cant they put an event in the primary, but not the Org?

The mods say that they cant add the orgs because they have to be consistent, why cant they just add the shows that are primary league worthy, and if the ones after that are good enough, put them in the secondary league.

Say Elite XC has a good card coming up on july 26, and they think its worthy (have the mods vote if they think its worthy?) than the event will be added to the primary league, and if they dont continue to put on good cards than take them off.

You know wat i mean?? take it event by event, and not the Org, whatever event is worthy of being in the primary league is added, the rest are in the secondary league, regardless of what Org is putting on the event.

just throwing idea around

Post #24   7/21/08 5:06:09PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by juanez13

Why cant they put an event in the primary, but not the Org?

The mods say that they cant add the orgs because they have to be consistent, why cant they just add the shows that are primary league worthy, and if the ones after that are good enough, put them in the secondary league.

Say Elite XC has a good card coming up on july 26, and they think its worthy (have the mods vote if they think its worthy?) than the event will be added to the primary league, and if they dont continue to put on good cards than take them off.

You know wat i mean?? take it event by event, and not the Org, whatever event is worthy of being in the primary league is added, the rest are in the secondary league, regardless of what Org is putting on the event.

just throwing idea around

Its a good idea, but won't work in practice. The reason the org is in secondary is because they're inconsistant, not just with card quality, but with the card staying together. Almost every Strikeforce and EXC card looks GREAT when they first announce it. Its the weeks leading up to it where everyone gets injured, can't get visas, gets double booked etc that we have problems with, and then we end up with a crap card in Primary league. Programming wise, the primary and secondary leagues are completely seperate as well, so if we were to move the card from one to the other if it falls apart, we'd have to completely reset everything, so all the picks, wagers, odds, etc would have to be redone, and thats a huge pain in the ass.

I know everyone is antsy to have something new in the Primary league, but we'd rather do this right than have to add an org and then take it out after a few dissapointing events.

As for the WEC being added, one of the concerns is that not a lot of people are able to watch it. Most people don't have Vs. in their cable package and its not big enough to be featured at too many bars that I've seen. Talent wise, they're fine, and their cards are consistant, so we'll see. Plus theres the added bonus of them never putting a card on at the same time as a UFC. If the UFC keeps trying to counter Affliction with free cards, we might have to do a double header if we add them to the primary, as you'd only be able to bet on one event otherwise.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #25   7/22/08 3:55:52AM   

Sinatra

Learning to Sprawl

Sinatra Avatar

Career:2,172-1,402
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
Dream, WEC, and EXC should all be primary league events

Post #26   7/22/08 6:05:57PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I like it with just the UFC, but if some other of the other orgs become more consistent but also have enough veiwers. My problem is that if we have events in the primary league it could really hurt our camps if it has fighters people don't know. I know I have a few noobs in my camp that only watch UFC and they wouldn't know how to make picks for Dream or WEC

Post #27   7/22/08 6:53:30PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Don't get me wrong.. I love the WEC and Dream.. but I'm not sure if they're primary league ready yet. Dream I could see making a solid argument for, but WEC I can't really simply because they are kind of a "minor leagues" for the UFC.

The main problem I see is the non hardcore hardcores (I.E. all of us posting in this thread ) not being able to identify with fighters. WEC, Dream, and EliteXC all still put on cards in which at least 2 of the bouts have fighters with hardly anything listed about them on Sherdog. Or in the case of Dream they're full of asian fighters the average fan isn't familiar with.

If you get guys who only have time to follow events like the UFC they're going to be completely lost in the sauce when they see Fighter A vs. Fighter B each with 2 fights to their names in local shows. Some just aren't "in the know" enough because they don't follow the sport religiously, so the picks for them would be kind of unfair.

I dunno, kind of firing in the dark but I'm trying to look at it from a casual fan's standpoint and like it or not this site probably caters to a lot more casual fans than it does hardcores. Still... food for thought

Post #28   7/22/08 11:04:26PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Yeah, thats one of the reasons I think Affliction will be Primary if they continue. The fighters are easily recognizable to the average MMA fan, and if not, they all have extensive records, so you actually have something to go on. That and their show was professionally done, available to the public, and they even had the free undercard show.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #29   7/23/08 2:46:09AM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
So, basically...we're still about a year away from another org being added to the Primary league? Certainly Affliction won't be added without 3 or 4 events (at the very least) under their belts. Will they?

Post #30   7/23/08 9:11:45AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3