Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anthony Johnson responds to Kevin Burns eye poke at UFC Fight Night 14

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Quoteworthy:

“They didn’t say nothing [about why the fight wasn’t ruled a no contest]. Nobody has given me an excuse. The only thing I’ve heard from fans and even the staff of UFC was that it’s bullshit…. All I know I turned around and I was screaming. Honestly, his finger went in my eye. It hurt like hell. I’ve never had that happen before, not that deep at least.”

Anthony Johnson talks about the technical knockout loss to Kevin Burns at UFC Fight Night 14 last night. “Rumble” received an accidental finger in the eye in the third round, which caused him to crash to the floor in agony. The referee thought he was dropped because of an uppercut (which grazed him) and waived off the fight. It was controversial; however, the officials don’t have the benefit of instant replay. And Johnson’s reaction to the eye poke made it appear that he was hurt with a punch and not a finger. Regardless, both fighters were classy after the bout. Perhaps we will see a rematch down the road sometime soon.

LINK

Post #1   7/21/08 3:01:07AM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,452-827
Chips:
if burns needed to throw palm strikes, why didn't he curl his fingers downward? he poked him 3 or 4 times before, why not stop striking with that hand?

People were creaming their pants over burns because he works a full time job in addition to training, but I think this is an example of why you need to commit fully to fighting before entering the octagon.

Maybe this will lead to some sort of reform in policy by the athletic commission regarding decisions like this.

Post #2   7/21/08 4:20:20AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
If you fold your fingers down and connect with said fingers, you can mess your hand up really badly becaues the tendons are very tight in that position. Hold up your hand like that and push on the fingers and you'll see what I mean.

Honestly, Burns seems like a nice guy, but if you're crippled in such a way that you can't effectively use your left without endangering the other fighter, either fight without it or get into sub grappling.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #3   7/21/08 4:31:43AM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,452-827
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

If you fold your fingers down and connect with said fingers, you can mess your hand up really badly becaues the tendons are very tight in that position. Hold up your hand like that and push on the fingers and you'll see what I mean.

Honestly, Burns seems like a nice guy, but if you're crippled in such a way that you can't effectively use your left without endangering the other fighter, either fight without it or get into sub grappling.

I figured something like that might be the case about the palm strikes, which I should know since I've watched plenty of Pancrase. I guess usually guys with injured hands just don't throw with them, since it's better than gouging a guy's eye.

Last edited 7/21/08 4:47AM server time by ThePlague
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   7/21/08 4:40:29AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
yes both fighters we're classy but that was still the worst decision in a long, long time.

TKO?

Post #5   7/21/08 10:35:44AM   

BlazeHoliday

Learning to Sprawl

Career:366-230
Camp: Warcry Wear
Chips:
The decision was BS and everyone knew it.

Burns in no way was attempting a palm strike. I did notice he threw the palm alot on the ground. But for text book palm striking look at bas ruttens early career. The replay showed a straight arm with fingers up front. It wasn't a palm strike if the palm is landing or has any chance of landing.

Over turn it and 80% of the people in the money winnings and point winnings won't be near where they are in the rankings for season 4.

Look at heedicus for instance. He made 10.8k all relying on Burns. Both in single fight win and parley.

BULLLSHIT.

Post #6   7/21/08 11:12:26AM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
Why cant the comission over turn the fight results? I remember when Melvin Guillard fought Roger Huerta, he won via decision, but then they reviewed the tapes and seen that Melvin greased up his legs inbetween rounds and then ruled the fight a no contest.

So screw that, the officials defnitily have instant replay and should do the same here.

Post #7   7/21/08 11:18:38AM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
Terrible - just terrible to let this go as a win - should be at worst a NC - really give johnson the winn like a 7 inning rain out- when you do an illegal slam in wrestling, and you cant continue they dont give the rule breaker the victory.... TERRIBLE

Post #8   7/21/08 12:57:12PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,884-1,626
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
The worst part of the whole thing was that Johnson had clearly won the first two rounds, and was probably on his way to a unanimous decision victory unless Burns stopped him. It's a shitty ending regardless, but the fact that he was so close to taking home a victory makes it all the worse.

Post #9   7/21/08 1:26:14PM   

Barksdale

Learning to Sprawl

Barksdale Avatar

Career:100-54
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

The worst part of the whole thing was that Johnson had clearly won the first two rounds, and was probably on his way to a unanimous decision victory unless Burns stopped him. It's a shitty ending regardless, but the fact that he was so close to taking home a victory makes it all the worse.

Exactly. This has to be overturned. I lost a shitload in real life and on here because of another Mazzagatti blunder, and look at my av now. DAMN YOU SAM ROTHSTEIN!!!

Post #10   7/21/08 2:50:51PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think the hole excuse of the ref didn't have instant reply is BS. He didn't even try to find out what happened or what the cause was. Refs have full access to change their ruling in the ring. I don't know about anyone else but I have never seen a fighter fall to the ground screaming in pain from a punch. It was easy to tell when you looked at AJ's eye that he had been eye poked. This is just a lack of good refereeing by Steve.

Post #11   7/21/08 4:44:15PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
I tell you what, I have a ton of more respect for Anthony Johnson after the way he handled the whole fiasco. I can't recall where but I had heard that Anthony Johnson was disrespectful after one of his fights but I can clearly see that's not the case. I actually won my parlay because of this decision but to be honest I would give it back if they could take this loss off of Anthonys record. They will rematch again and there is no way I'm taking Burns when that fight happens.

Post #12   7/21/08 4:53:57PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
How on Earth was a TKO!?!

Post #13   7/22/08 9:55:14AM