Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White Acknowledges Fedor Emelianenko's Win at Affliction

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,857-1,079
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
UFC president Dana White has been relentless in his criticism of ex-PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko over the past several years.

White has criticized and mocked the popular Russian for failing to face top competition and taking on inexperienced and even smaller fighters over the past three years.

But upon learning that Emelianenko had submitted ex-UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia on Saturday in Anaheim, Calif., in less than a minute, White unflinchingly admitted he was impressed.

“It does (change my opinion),” he conceded. “Tim Sylvia was a real opponent.”

LINK

Post #1   7/21/08 2:53:42AM   

BlazeHoliday

Learning to Sprawl

Career:366-230
Camp: Warcry Wear
Chips:
That's a big step for Dana to admit that. But no one can deny Sylvia as a top 10 heavyweight in the world. Especially only having lost to former champions in the form of Frank Mir, Double A, Couture, and Nog.

Good solid win for Fedor.

Post #2   7/21/08 11:26:22AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Dana's talk is all bluster. He NEVER thought Fedor was garbage and in my opinion it is WRONG for a PROMOTER to trash a fighter just because he couldn't sign him. We are talking about a guy TRYING to sabotage and weaken a fighter's career simply because he couldn't be his promoter. I think that's weak. While I say cool if you want to play hardball business, I think there are moral lines that shouldn't be crossed and trying to devalue fighter's whose ONLY asset is their name and ability, is wrong.

Post #3   7/21/08 11:27:58AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,486-872
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

Dana's talk is all bluster. He NEVER thought Fedor was garbage and in my opinion it is WRONG for a PROMOTER to trash a fighter just because he couldn't sign him. We are talking about a guy TRYING to sabotage and weaken a fighter's career simply because he couldn't be his promoter. I think that's weak. While I say cool if you want to play hardball business, I think there are moral lines that shouldn't be crossed and trying to devalue fighter's whose ONLY asset is their name and ability, is wrong.

I agree.I just wonder what all the Dana nuthuggers are thinking now.
I remember when Dana came out and said he thought Fedor was in the top 5. they said very little after that.

Post #4   7/21/08 2:27:58PM   

nastshabast

Banned

Career:337-191
Chips:
There is no way Dana did not think Fedor was #1. Not possible. Getting him to admit that, also not possible.

Post #5   7/21/08 2:34:44PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I think people can do good business without trying to bury everyone that isn't 'them'. I like the UFC. I don't want them to treat everyone else like crap and cause me to dislike them. I just want to see good fights. If "Don King" has all the great fighters I'll watch him but if there are other fighters promoted by different promoters I'll watch them. That's all I'm saying. THey keep trying to bury everyone at the beginning and it might end up backfiring on them. A cross promotion, UFC and Afflicition with Fedor v. Couture would make HUGE money. It would bring out ALL of the stars if it was done in LA or Vegas at a big venue, and it would be as big for MMA as say a Mayweather v. Dela Hoya was for boxing. But Dana's fear is that it would also make Affliction.

Post #6   7/21/08 7:01:31PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Not much Dana can really say after Fedor just molestered one of his former champs.

Post #7   7/21/08 7:09:50PM