Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Aleks Emelianenko on Kimbo and the UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

snakerattle79

BANNED

Career:-
Chips:
On Kimbo:
Aleks Emelianenko: In reality, as a fighter, as a fighter he’s weak. For me anyway. My promoter [Vadim Finkelshtein] suggested this fight to his promoters, that I go there and fight Kimbo. And they’re not taking the fight. They realize that for me he’s too weak.

I won’t be fighting with him, playing with him. I’ll go there and tear him apart, bite him in two. Exactly like it was with me and [James] Thompson, whom it took almost three rounds for Kimbo to put away. No. He’s to be congratulated on one hand, though. …

What does he need? For people to know about him. For people to have seen him. Everyone earns money anyway they can these days. He’s not a fighter, he’s not a sportsman. I’d say he’s more like a showman. I can say this about him.

As a sportsman he’s very one-dimensional. Hands? Is that all? These days everyone can use their hands. When fighters at a decent level compete, you won’t understand who he was before. A boxer or a wrestler. … I train with boxers. I used to beat -- I now beat world champions. I box with them. I’m not a fighter that fought with fatties, with who knows who on some field or something. That’s not a display of his prowess as a fighter. It’s just a show. They are elements of a show.

On the UFC:
Aleks Emelianenko: I also wanted to fight in the UFC . But as a Russian fighter, I’m not interesting to them. They are interested in their own, in Americans. That’s why they didn’t let me compete in their organization. They were saying that “We don’t want Aleksander to fight for us.” Because I’d arrive there, beat everyone and then take the belt back to Russia. They don’t need that.

Those organizers, promoters, they need their own person. That’s how they make their money. And that’s how they carry themselves, the UFC. I know that as of right now, they’ve ruined relationships with many and that many fighters have left them. They are now facing some very serious competition, and I think they’ll fall. I think they’ll fall to the second tier. To the place where they were, when Pride still existed.

Pride was better; Pride was number one in the world. So I think that it’s criticism of the organizers -- it’s not a criticism of the fighters. They’re worthy sportsmen. Good fighters. It’s a criticism of the organizers, of the promoters. They take everything and just wreck it. Instead they should be strengthening everything, making everything stronger, stronger and stronger. But people are leaving them.

Instead they now have very serious, very worthy competition in the world. And not that much time will go by before things change.

****Aleks is thinking the same things that Hardcore Fans is thinking, Im not surprised that he's thinking that way*****

FULL INTERVIEW

Post #1   7/17/08 1:19:06PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
"I also wanted to fight in the UFC . But as a Russian fighter, I’m not interesting to them. They are interested in their own, in Americans."

As a blanket statement, that's clearly not true, as the UFC has a ton of Brazilians and a half-ton of Japanese. I guess I wouldn't know it if Dana has some personal beef with Russians. I think UFC fans would go absolutely ape**** for Aleks E. He's exactly the kind of fighter that casual fans respond to, and people who are "in the know" remember him from his PRIDE days.

Post #2   7/17/08 1:41:53PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I did this a while back. It shows that the UFC has more US fighters than any other nationality (by far). But they are a US company operating in the US.

Post #3   7/17/08 1:53:58PM   

jimmypockets

ThE ThIcKFrEAkNeSS

jimmypockets Avatar

Career:1,090-730
Camp: RuStY CaGe FiGhT TeAm
Chips:
Yeah the UFC has a lot of Brazillians and Japanese but it seems like most get paid less no matter the credentials. I am sure the UFC would love to have Fedor and Aleks. They just don't want to pay them moe than 10 thousand a fight.

XB Live Gamertags- J1mMy PoCkEtS, Th3 Barncat

Post #4   7/17/08 8:55:38PM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:
With the UFC HW's current state he is better off in Affliction. He could fight Sylvia, Arlovski, Rothwell, potential rematch with Barnett. The Affliction HW division is stacked and is the place to be. They should try getting Kharitonov and Antonio Silva.

Post #5   7/17/08 10:50:19PM   

poll77

MMA Regular

poll77 Avatar

Career:29-23
Camp: Team Havoc
Chips:
i'm not so sure that they are worried about aleks taking the belt to russia...how many belts are actually held by US citizens currently?? just two - BJ and Forrest...I think what he should have said is that they were not willing to pay him as much as he would like to get in the UFC

Post #6   7/17/08 11:16:13PM   

jkdskinhead

MMA Regular

jkdskinhead Avatar

Career:619-470
Camp: The Firm
Chips:

Posted by puppetmaster837

With the UFC HW's current state he is better off in Affliction. He could fight Sylvia, Arlovski, Rothwell, potential rematch with Barnett. The Affliction HW division is stacked and is the place to be. They should try getting Kharitonov and Antonio Silva.

Not to mention Randy will probly never come out of retirement in the UFC, but he could show up in Affliction.

The blanket statement about UFC fans not wanting a Russian is pretty true. I mean.. they like Andre, but they have known him for a long time. A guy like Aleks.. they would laugh and say, whos this guy with the mullet? My brother inlaw holds fight night every PPV for the UFC at his house and has about 15 people come over to watch the fights.. I garauntee you if you asked every single one of them, including my brother inlaw, what they thought of Aleksander.. they would just look at you with a blank stare. Your average ppv buying UFC fight fan doesnt know who he is, and he would do nothing for UFC sales, unless he beat like 2 big names in a row, but you know the UFC would have to throw him in against 2 low class guys first, and im sure they dont wanna waste thousands of dollars bringing him over, to waste 2 PPVs on him where he isnt bringing them any money.. and what if he lost one of those first two fights like Crop Cop? thats money in the toilet, and you know greedy mister white aint lettin that happen.

Post #7   7/18/08 12:14:41AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
Aleks is right about everything he says. He might come off as boastful, but he is right. The only person who could really give him a hard time in the UFC is Nogueira, and we all know that Nogueira doesn't have the best takedowns, and Aleks is a big lad with a solid Sambo background, so he could be hard to take down. Furthermore, Aleks hits a lot, lot harder than Tim, Nogueira couldnt just stand there and eat shots from Aleks like he did from Tim.

Post #8   7/18/08 7:00:36AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Aleks is right about everything he says. He might come off as boastful, but he is right. The only person who could really give him a hard time in the UFC is Nogueira, and we all know that Nogueira doesn't have the best takedowns, and Aleks is a big lad with a solid Sambo background, so he could be hard to take down. Furthermore, Aleks hits a lot, lot harder than Tim, Nogueira couldnt just stand there and eat shots from Aleks like he did from Tim.

I think Aleks comes across very confident, but not necessarily cocky. Id love to see him in the ufc.

"I’m not a fighter that fought with fatties, with who knows who on some field or something."

Awesome. That line really cracked me up.

Post #9   7/18/08 8:16:52AM