Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

ROBERT "BUZZ" BERRY HANGS UP THE GLOVES

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Following his recent loss to Neil Grove at Cage Rage 27, Robert "Buzz" Berry steps out of the limelight and into retirement. It marks a sad day for British MMA when one of the most prominent heavyweights on the scene decides that they have had enough.

Berry amassed a professional record of 13-8-0 since breaking onto the scene in 2001 with a win in the Total Combat show. Since that time he has been one of the most regular competitors on the scene with six fights apiece in 2005 and 2006, three in 2007, and twice already this year.

Berry will forever be remembered for exposing Ken Shamrock's total lack of game plan with a devastating knockout in March of this year. At the time, the fight may have appeared to be a steppingstone for Shamrock to rebuild his career, but Berry had other plans and fought arguably the most mature and complete fight of his career.

On Wednesday night, Berry announced on the Cage Warriors forum his retirement from the U.K. Scene with the following post:

"Just to let you all know I have had to retire. After my fight with Neil Grove I was taken to the hospital and had to have surgery on my face. They have had to put two plates in, one in my cheek bone and one on my eye socket. So that is it, over for me.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   7/17/08 7:19:32AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,323-880
Chips:
Probably just as well he retired - aside from him being past his best and having a poor gas tank, he wouldn't fit in another organisation 'cause he's got 'CAGE RAGE' tattooed on his biceps. Not a great career move.

Post #2   7/17/08 7:37:39AM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,568-1,873
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
I really didn't think he was anything special, I mean saying "I beat Ken Shamrock" isn't exactly impactful nowadays as it was before the Ultimate Fighter 1 finale. Ken to should retire, I think he's past his prime and a lackluster fighter. Beating a guy on a lossing streak who had one only once in his last 7 fights isn't a shock it's a guarentee.

Post #3   7/17/08 12:40:48PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
Not sure this is even news...lol! Does anyone really care about this guy?

Post #4   7/18/08 7:21:58AM