Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Cain Velasquez to be the first Mexican UFC heavyweight champion?

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
“Right now, he could walk in and be a good pro boxer. He could not only be a good kickboxer, but he’s K-1 level (the Japanese group which is top organization for heavyweights in the world). He won a world championship in Jiu Jitsu (World No Gi world champion in the blue belt division in late 2007, 17 months after his first class). He’s the fastest learner I’ve ever had. And nobody trains harder. He trains harder than the lightweights…. But think about this, a dominant heavyweight champion, and he’s Mexican. There’s never been anyone like that yet.”

– Javier Mendez, owner and head trainer at American Kickboxing Academy (AKA), heaps praise via Yahoo!Sports.com on up-and-coming heavyweight prospect, Cain Velasquez. The former Arizona State University wrestler is undefeated in the Octagon (1-0) and will look to make it two straight when he takes on Jake O’Brien at UFC Fight Night 14 on July 19. Mendez feels that Velasquez right now can defeat former UFC champion Randy Couture and ranks him first among the most promising prospects to walk inside his gym — in front of Josh Koscheck, Frank Shamrock, Cung Le and B.J. Penn. That’s some serious company.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   7/15/08 9:56:33AM   

saemskin

BANNED

Career:75-70
Chips:
He's had how many fights?

Give me a goddman break.

Post #2   7/15/08 10:06:07AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,941-1,082
Chips:

Posted by saemskin

He's had how many fights?

Give me a goddman break.

Yeah i mean i like the guy, and after the o'brien fight everyone's gonna see he's the real f*cking deal... but yeah, slow down a bit with the champion stuff

Post #3   7/15/08 10:27:30AM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
Velasquez is one of my favorite new fighters... he's the future of the heavyweight division. He's far away from a title shot right now but he's the best 3-0 heavyweight right now, sorry Kimbo Slice. Kimbo would get outclassed by Velaquez.

Last edited 7/15/08 4:59PM server time by coldchillin
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   7/15/08 4:58:54PM   

rabbit915

In Full Mount

rabbit915 Avatar

Career:2,011-1,129
Chips:
I just dont see the technical striking from him. Maybe hes developing quickly but i havent seen it yet.

Post #5   7/15/08 6:22:59PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
He needs to suffer his first loss and then we shall see how he rebounds from that. Place him in there with Lesnar after the Herring fight, win or lose. See how he does there at least against someone who has the wrestling ability he does.

Post #6   8/6/08 1:28:53AM