Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Brandon Vera: Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou turned down UFC Fight Night 14 offers

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
“They offered me Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Lyoto Machida and then Reese Andy. I turned down Machida. He’s not someone you take on short notice. You gotta get ready for Machida. The other fighters turned down the other fights so that’s how we came to Reese.”

Heavyweight-turned light heavyweight, Brandon Vera, reveals a personal behind the scenes take on what went down in the scramble to put together UFC Fight Night 14: “Silva vs. Irvin” on short notice to counter the Affliction “Banned” show that same evening (July 19). It appears that there were a lot of names and potential match ups swirling; however, not everyone was comfortable competing with little time to prepare. James Irvin — who takes on Anderson Silva in the main event — recently told MMAmania.com that four fighters turned down offers to take on “Spider” before he was approached.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   7/14/08 10:23:09AM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
man those guys need to step it up, wandy didn't take any damage against jardine. but with that said i guess brandon vera isn't a guy you want to take on short notice just like machida.

Post #2   7/14/08 10:27:22AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

man those guys need to step it up, wandy didn't take any damage against jardine. but with that said i guess brandon vera isn't a guy you want to take on short notice just like machida.

I agrea they should step it up, lol its easy for me to say lol

Post #3   7/14/08 11:49:15AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,356-1,302
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
That's what's bad about "throwing together" a fight like this. You put fighters in a position where they need go against other top fighters on short notice. It's a different world now, they don't all feel compelled to fight every time they are made an offer. If they do take the offer, they may go in less than well prepared and lose.

Post #4   7/14/08 11:53:26AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
well those guys should have turned down the fight like they did. Because they all need wins right now and why risk not getting a win when you only have a shorter time to train. Doesnt seem right.

I mean it's not these fighters fault, it's dana white trying to counter program. Let me add this too, is vera faces one of those guys he could have a better chance of losing to them than to reese andy. So vera would have 3 straight losses.

But revealing these names isnt going to help vera get liked at 205.

Post #5   7/14/08 12:04:44PM   

SpiderSilva

07/07

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,887-1,178
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I just want to say I also turned down a fight with Brandon Vera

J/K

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #6   7/14/08 12:13:33PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

well those guys should have turned down the fight like they did. Because they all need wins right now and why risk not getting a win when you only have a shorter time to train. Doesnt seem right.

I mean it's not these fighters fault, it's dana white trying to counter program. Let me add this too, is vera faces one of those guys he could have a better chance of losing to them than to reese andy. So vera would have 3 straight losses.

But revealing these names isnt going to help vera get liked at 205.

Yes, but all of these guys are professionals, and from what I've heard, most fighters prefer to fight more regularly than every 3 months, so what's the big deal? Everyone knows that when fighters step up in a relative emergency, you will inevitably be in Dana's good graces. Is their a quicker way to get into title contention? James Irvin is the man for stepping up against Spider, and even if he loses, he will definitely be one of Dana's guys. 3-4 weeks of training doesn't sound too bad when it could spell a major advancement for your career.

Post #7   7/14/08 12:13:45PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
i disagree i think hendo, wand and soku pose just as many problems as machida. hope to see vera fight one of these four in his next lhw fight. if not then chuck liddell. vera has always said he wanted to fight liddell.

Post #8   7/14/08 12:55:35PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,356-1,302
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Gipper

i disagree i think hendo, wand and soku pose just as many problems as machida. hope to see vera fight one of these four in his next lhw fight. if not then chuck liddell. vera has always said he wanted to fight liddell.

I agree with this...I wasn't sure how to interpret the article...would Vera have taken one of those fights??? Or did he just say that they all turned down the fight, and therefore he didn't have to.

Post #9   7/14/08 1:06:15PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:
ye it doesnt even say they were going to fight him just that they didnt want to fight on short notice was it agasint vera or some1 else

Post #10   7/14/08 1:40:12PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:

i dont think any of us have enough info on these guys personal lives or their training to judge them for not taking these fights on short notice

no one should flame any of these guys

Last edited 7/14/08 2:33PM server time by CantAndleDaRiddum
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   7/14/08 2:33:11PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
taking a fight on short notice against a guy like brandon vera is dangerous. i don't blame any of them for turning it down.

Post #12   7/14/08 3:05:04PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
I really don't buy it personally I think if any of the three fighters accepted the fight Vera would have turned them down just as he did for Machida. If he turned down Machida why in the heck would he agree to fight any of the other three (perhaps with the exception of Soko).

Personally I think he wanted an easier test when he jumps into the deep LHW division so he got Reese. No offense to Reese but he's not in the same conversation with the other guys.

They may have turned down the fight but don't let Vera fool you into thinking he would have taken the fight anyway even if those guys said yes. I don't buy it.

Post #13   7/14/08 3:32:26PM   

joshryanshepherd

BANNED

joshryanshepherd Avatar

Career:217-147
Chips:
well all i have to say is if all these top level fighters are turning down fights with Machida and Tito didn't, someone has GOT to give Ortiz Credit!

Fox Hound- The Patriots of the Playground!

#1 in points-1st season
#1 in points- 2nd season
#1 in points- 3rd season
#1 in points- 4th season
#1 in points- 5th season

aswell as #1 in Wagers and the entire Secondary league...

Post #14   7/14/08 3:38:20PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:

Posted by joshryanshepherd

well all i have to say is if all these top level fighters are turning down fights with Machida and Tito didn't, someone has GOT to give Ortiz Credit!

damn i never thought anyone whould say anything to make me respect tito

Post #15   7/14/08 4:03:53PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2