Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Some tips

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

flaw

Learning to Sprawl

Career:17-9
Chips:
Some good tips for some whos kinda new. I got in my first fight in 1st grade and loved fighting ever since. Just some pointers would be nice. I know alot of stuff.. Just wanna know more. IM a fairly good stand up fighter and good with striking. How can i strike harder... I know to start with the feet and the body and move up like that. Just some tips would be nice

Post #1   1/13/07 2:59:25PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,439-884
Chips:
Wish I could help ya out here... but my knowledge of training is minimal.

What I would love to know is how to improve the "core strength" that Chuck was talking about during his all access before his last fight... having good core strength apparently enables you to have a beer belly and still hit like a truck

Post #2   1/13/07 4:37:51PM   

flaw

Learning to Sprawl

Career:17-9
Chips:
AHAH true!

Post #3   1/13/07 6:29:10PM   

Omega

Go TEAM!!! or I will kill you.

Omega Avatar

Career:482-300
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
Power comes from relaxation dude, transition from heavy bags to shadow boxing back to heavy bags. Build up speed by throwing light, slow down punches to gain techniques. Then take up plyometrics to stimulate fast twitch muscles. And as most wil tell you don't look for KO's they'll just happen.

Post #4   1/14/07 2:40:36PM   

johnnycache

Learning to Sprawl

johnnycache Avatar

Career:64-46
Chips:
The thing that makes MMA a bear to train for is it the need for so many attributes - response and speed, raw strength, skill on the feet and ground, flexibility, and cardio. It's a genuine challenge to find a way to train this all at once, and it's a genuine challenge to bring training from other venues into MMA.

The "general route" most people take into MMA is to crosstrain one standing or striking art with one ground or grappling art - very few people are lucky enough to find a martial arts teacher that knows and teaches both, or lucky enough to have access to a hybrid-style "MMA" gym. The "budget route" to mma I recommend to many people is judo + boxing - two things probably available at the community level wherever you live, cheaply. Both are fun sports and useful by themselves, and with a little tailoring they can serve in an MMA context.

All advice on choosing a martial arts school is going to vary INTENSELY based on what exactly is offered where you live.

If you don't have access to a good gym, the best thing you can do for yourself in the mean time is make sure whatever you do trains your cardio - if you're fit, you'll learn much faster.

Whatever you do, DON'T go away to college, put on weight, and then take the sport up again in your late 20s. That's the Johnnycache plan, and it is NOT the quickest route from bad to good.

Last edited 1/14/07 3:38PM server time by johnnycache
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   1/14/07 3:38:19PM   

grappler-80

Learning to Sprawl

grappler-80 Avatar

Career:14-8
Chips:

Posted by johnnycache

Whatever you do, DON'T go away to college, put on weight, and then take the sport up again in your late 20s. That's the Johnnycache plan, and it is NOT the quickest route from bad to good.

lol

good post man

Post #6   1/14/07 6:10:00PM   

Red_Elvis

Learning to Sprawl

Red_Elvis Avatar

Career:29-22
Chips:

Posted by johnnycache

The "budget route" to mma I recommend to many people is judo + boxing - two things probably available at the community level wherever you live, cheaply. .

I'd like to add wrestling to that budget list. The USA Wrestling Association has alot of places to train for free at any age.

Post #7   1/14/07 10:39:27PM   

Red_Elvis

Learning to Sprawl

Red_Elvis Avatar

Career:29-22
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Wish I could help ya out here... but my knowledge of training is minimal.

What I would love to know is how to improve the "core strength" that Chuck was talking about during his all access before his last fight... having good core strength apparently enables you to have a beer belly and still hit like a truck

Take a look at cross fit. They talk about core strength amongst other things.

Post #8   1/14/07 10:40:42PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Judo + Boxing for mma? I'd seriously say no to that and consider BJJ and Muay Thai.

Post #9   1/15/07 9:33:19AM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:

Posted by nate22

Judo + Boxing for mma? I'd seriously say no to that and consider BJJ and Muay Thai.

Shhhhh, don't tell Karo that.

Honestly dude that is a very ignorant statement.

Post #10   1/15/07 1:05:25PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I know a lot of people will say that BJJ is more a staple of the MMA diet than judo, but Judo is a little more main-stream in the martial arts around the world...you will find better instructors and it will probably even be cheaper. I actually take Judo for free at SEMO University and I pay for the BJJ classes in town.

Post #11   1/15/07 1:41:35PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:

Posted by Omega

Posted by nate22

Shhhhh, don't tell Karo that.

Honestly dude that is a very ignorant statement.

Sorry, please don't think I do not have the upmost respect for the need of both of these disciplines and I certainly will not be telling that to Karo!

I was considering more so as a base for MMA, if you are restricted to learning the two, BJJ and Muay Thai would be more beneficial than Judo and Boxing.

I'm not disagreeing with you and if you think otherwise, i'd be glad to listen as to why?

Post #12   1/15/07 6:34:39PM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:
BJJ or Submission for Ground
SAMBO, Judo or Greco For Throws
Thai for knees and Elbow
Boxing for hands and body movement
Karate, Kickboxing or Tradition TKD for smart kicks

Plyometrics for strength conditioning

Post #13   1/15/07 9:06:47PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:

Posted by Omega

BJJ or Submission for Ground
SAMBO, Judo or Greco For Throws
Thai for knees and Elbow
Boxing for hands and body movement
Karate, Kickboxing or Tradition TKD for smart kicks

Plyometrics for strength conditioning

These are obviously the best choices for a well-rounded mixed martial arts regimen, but where I live, there aren't these kinds of resources. There's not even an actual MMA gym for 40 miles. I take judo and bjj, and I have a friend teaching me stand-up and MMA in general.

Post #14   1/15/07 9:13:47PM   

Omega

Omega Avatar

Chips:
I understand dude, it's just that when you printed what you said, it almost sounded like those were the only two choices.

Judo does ground work and Kickboxing has boxing and Thai work so those are the two I normaly advice unless a BJJ school emphasizes a degree of takedown curriculum.

Post #15   1/15/07 9:20:07PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3