Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

How British Boxing Enthusiasts View Mixed Martial Arts

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,937-1,115
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
"Boxing is like football," Maloney says. "It has history and has been around forever. I can't imagine a world without boxing. I can easily conceive of one without MMA."

From an albeit limited consensus, it seems the British boxing barometer on MMA is set somewhere between disdain and moderate interest, rudimentary knowledge to perhaps a lack of genuine understanding, acknowledgment and indifference. The latter part of that statement is best summed up by McNeilly.

"Most boxing folk acknowledge its success but fall back on boxing's longevity, even in these days of political correctness descending into farce," McNeilly says. "MMA is a foreign land to most of them -- and not one they want to visit."

LINK

UNEDUCATED FOOLS!

Post #1   7/12/08 12:38:56PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
"My friend Dave Mangon promotes cage shows in Doncaster, and they always sell out. My main problem with it is the lack of consistency. From what I know, there's very few long-running champions in MMA. Everyone seems to lose their titles quickly, and almost everybody's been beaten at some stage. It seems to me that you get a guy good enough at any one thing, like Royce Gracie (Pictures) for example, they'll just take the fight where they want it and win. In a way, it's another form of street fighting."

What a stupid statement. (as was the one made above my comment btw). Hes talking about how theirs no consistancey in the sport, then says if anybodies good enough in one area they will always take the fight to that area and win every time?? Idiot. Id rather watch a sport where the champs can be beaten than a sport where you tune in already knowing what the outcome will be.

All i know is, the majority of boxing fans in the U.K tune in to watch Joe Calzaghe, Amir Kahn, David Haye, and Ricky Hatton. MMA fans in the U.K will tune in regardless of whos fighting.

Post #2   7/12/08 1:41:04PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,937-1,115
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9
All i know is, the majority of boxing fans in the U.K tune in to watch Joe Calzaghe, Amir Kahn, David Haye, and Ricky Hatton. MMA fans in the U.K will tune in regardless of whos fighting.

Post #3   7/12/08 1:51:58PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Boxing is a tremendous sport though.

For a while there, I was definitely thinking MMA was going to be the far superior sport and I would eventually lose interest in boxing, but my love for the sweet science is equal to MMA once again.

I think both sports are going to continue to grow over the next ten years and there is plenty of room in this world for both to exist in harmony.

Post #4   7/12/08 4:42:42PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Eventually there are going to be new, and more exciting mainstream sports. Things evolve and people's tastes change.

Boxing just isn't as popular as it once was, and there's no sign of a reversal in the future. Remember when people would crowd around the radio or the TV and listen to the big fight? Yeah not so much anymore.

Not that the general public is crowding around to watch MMA yet either. But say twenty or thirty years from now, when people are growing up and training MMA. There will be more exciting athletes and it will be more mainstream, and finally overtake boxing. But it's going to have to happen with future generations. here won't be just one GSP, there will be 50 fighters like him.

Going to a boxing event now...it almost seems like you accidentally entered a senior citizen rec center.

Going to an MMA event... it's like going to a college bar.

In all seriousness the generation of boxing fans will die off and be replaced by MMA fans. It's just more popular with younger people, and it's going to continue that way...in my opinion.

Post #5   7/12/08 6:32:23PM