Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Affliction Banned Drawing Heavy Media Interest

Print  
Posted By Message

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
More than 250 media credential requests were received heading into today’s deadline, 10 days prior to the event, from numerous foreign countries including Russia, Japan, Korea, Germany, Great Britain, Canada, Brazil, Australia and New Zealand.

Link

Post #1   7/11/08 11:04:43PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I don't know enuf to know if that's even a lot of requests. Secondly that's not American media. Fact is American media is paying no attention to this event. Only the hardcore fans care about it. Only the fans on the very first outside level of fringe care about it. Most normal ppl don't know or care. It is what it is. I'll watch it but not pay, and I think most hardcore fans say the same.

This event is gonna be awesome, but it's gonna FAIL miserably.

Post #2   7/11/08 11:12:34PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

I don't know enuf to know if that's even a lot of requests. Secondly that's not American media. Fact is American media is paying no attention to this event. Only the hardcore fans care about it. Only the fans on the very first outside level of fringe care about it. Most normal ppl don't know or care. It is what it is. I'll watch it but not pay, and I think most hardcore fans say the same.

wow i can't have the exact opposite train of thought than you. i think they're going to sell out (or come very close) the honda center and sell at least 40k ppv's.

Post #3   7/12/08 12:17:41AM   

Jason-plata

MMA Regular

Jason-plata Avatar

Career:39-34
Chips:
As well they should be. They did what Elite XC, UFC, Bodog, and WEC could'nt do. They have a fight with fedor. Not only that but this has got to be the biggest card in our generation.

This line up can stand next to UFC 3 and 4.

Post #4   7/12/08 2:56:09AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Uhhhh I'm absolutely paying to see this and I really hope that they get off to a decent start. I don't expect them to make money immediately but a good enough showing to keep their backers from pulling out would be great. I was also surprised to see that several bars around my city are showing it.

I don't see how you can say as a fan that this is an excellent card but you're going to watch it without paying for it. You should help support the athletes that are entertaining you.

Post #5   7/12/08 3:32:52AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by Jason-plata

As well they should be. They did what Elite XC, UFC, Bodog, and WEC could'nt do. They have a fight with fedor. Not only that but this has got to be the biggest card in our generation.

This line up can stand next to UFC 3 and 4.

bodog actually featured a card with fedor

Post #6   7/12/08 2:41:14PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,826-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

Actually, I think any hardcore fan is going to pay for the card. It might fail, but I don't understand why some MMA fans want it to.

Post #7   7/12/08 10:29:14PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

I agree with this.

I really hope that they sell thousands of PPVs and sell out the stadium and all is great.

However the simple truth is this:

Nobody outside of the main MMA message boards even knows this event is happening!

Post #8   7/13/08 12:27:43AM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

I don't see how you can say as a fan that this is an excellent card but you're going to watch it without paying for it.

So any true fan that can't afford it is supposed to not watch something that is easily available for free?

I'd like to see them do well, not cuz I care what org it is, just cuz it's a bad ass fight card. They'll prob'ly "sell out" the place eventually, but they'll comp tons of tix to get that. and I think 40,000 might be a good buy estimate, but that's gonna be a much bigger hit to the wallets of these guys than it would've been w/ good marketing.

Post #9   7/13/08 1:10:21AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As far as the US goes they have done very little to promote the event. You cant keep a company running just on hope from other countries. It didn't work for Pride and I don't see it working for them either. There is a reason Pride was trying to break in to the US market and that's because its were the big money is. Even with the ratings that Pride was pulling in Japan they still went under. Some will say its because of the loss of the TV deal in Japan but Pride had problems long before they lost their TV deal it just added to their issues. I really would like to see the company make it but I just don't see it happening. Now as far as this being the best event ever not even close. Pride put on some much better events and the UFC has as well. Most of the fights are their card are mismatches. Plus the card is almost all HWs and if that's what you like then great but I have found for me the LHWs, WWs, and LWs put on much better fights.

Last edited 7/13/08 4:53AM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   7/13/08 4:53:24AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
I live in Maryland and there are commercials all over our radio stations

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #11   7/13/08 9:18:05AM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Chips:

Posted by zephead

I live in Maryland and there are commercials all over our radio stations

That's cool. In MA I haven't heard it once, except when Dana mentioned it on a national radio show.

Post #12   7/13/08 1:41:23PM   

JimmieDD

MMA Regular

Career:-
Chips:
it would be good if this event did awesome..

good for MMA.. lets pray she does..

Post #13   7/13/08 9:38:02PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
ITs gonna be an awsome event but i don't see how its gonna sell on ppv, in canada i haven t heard a single thing on it man when they is an UFC event you heard about it everywhere. even in the time of pride i would see publicity about it . am not sure how it is in other countries.

Post #14   7/14/08 10:00:31AM