Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Exclusive Interview: Lyoto Machida

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Bemin

Touch gloves, and good fight!

Bemin Avatar

Career:140-118
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
After Lyoto Machida scored the biggest win of his undefeated career by out-pointing Tito Ortiz to a unanimous decision at UFC 84, he immediately became the subject of intense debate in the MMA community. While his fans praise his impenetrable defense and technically perfect counter-attacks, there are others who find his stick-and-move style to be boring — or worse, cowardly. Our resident Brazilian Luiz de Souza called Machida at his home base in Belém, Brazil, to get his take on the criticism, and to find out where he thinks he stands in the UFC’s light-heavyweight title picture

CagePotato: Thanks so much for taking the time to speak with us today. Do you have any idea who your next opponent will be?
There’s been a lot of speculation, but there’s no confirmation of anything yet. But I think it could be Thiago Silva, or even Quinton Jackson.

We’ve heard that multiple fighters have turned down fights with you. Why do you think people are trying to avoid you?
It’s like I said in other interviews, this is a business, and so many times people don’t want to fight, not because they are scared, but because they want to get to the top quicker. Many times, fighters have better opportunities of getting higher-ranked in other fights, which makes them choose their fights sparingly, not accepting all challenges. It’s not a matter of being scared.

Link

Post #1   7/11/08 3:46:09PM   

DustinT

MMA Regular

DustinT Avatar

Career:1,540-837
Camp: The MMA Army
Chips:
class

nuff said

Post #2   7/11/08 4:19:34PM   

thesteven5918

Learning to Sprawl

Career:164-110
Chips:
who wants to fight guy who runs away all the time... look at the Nate Quarry VS. Kalib Starnes no one wants to see some one run away (i do have to acknowledge that starnes had broken his foot in the first 10 secs.)... whats Machidas excuse.. there is none he just runs away to win a decision... i hope he gets KTFO

Post #3   7/11/08 4:57:42PM   

DaMaGeInC

MMA Regular

DaMaGeInC Avatar

Career:1,192-778
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
Lyoto is a damn good fighter and one of the most technically sound in all aspects of the game. The win over tito was great it just looked unproductive cause tito was out classed from the begining. If he doesnt get caught with some big bomb i dont think to many people will be able to beat him he picks you apart. and im not a giant lyoto fan but damn you got to give the man props dude knows how to fight and posses a threat to any one he faces

Post #4   7/11/08 5:17:05PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:

Posted by thesteven5918

who wants to fight guy who runs away all the time... look at the Nate Quarry VS. Kalib Starnes no one wants to see some one run away (i do have to acknowledge that starnes had broken his foot in the first 10 secs.)... whats Machidas excuse.. there is none he just runs away to win a decision... i hope he gets KTFO

Let me guess WWE fan and Brock Lesnar is your favorite fighter?

Post #5   7/11/08 5:20:50PM   

DonnieDarko

MMA Regular

DonnieDarko Avatar

Career:629-359
Chips:
Have to respect the man and second the class act comment above

Post #6   7/11/08 5:26:07PM   

SqWaGGy

Learning to Sprawl

Career:257-162
Chips:

Posted by thesteven5918

He's beaten some amazing fighters, it's sad there are still people like you who give him no credit whatsoever. He's an intelligent fighter that wins and takes nearly no damage in the process. He has the skills to beat any fighter in the 205 division. Comparing his fighting style to Starnes in his fight with Quarry is just laughable.

Post #7   7/11/08 5:50:16PM   

DustinT

MMA Regular

DustinT Avatar

Career:1,540-837
Camp: The MMA Army
Chips:

Posted by thesteven5918

christ
comparing the two is.....

no.

.....no.

i can't do it.
i haven't the energy.

Post #8   7/11/08 5:58:19PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Usually I like the villainsand hate the squeaky clean guys, but I have an exception for Machida. You just have to respect the guy. He just seems like a true martial artist to me. At the very least, if you've ever taken Karate growing up you have to apprecate his style.

I agree Chuck is probably the toughest matchup for him, because he's a counter puncher and his strategy would probably be to wait for Machida to dart in and try to land a big one. I think Chuck might be a little too slow though. Wanderlei would be a tough matchup too, but he's so wreckless he might just get caught coming forward over and over again.

I have the feeling his next fight is with Thiago Silva. The thing is Thiago already turned down a fight with Machida once, although that was with short notice.

Post #9   7/11/08 5:58:34PM   

KYGUY07

In Full Mount

KYGUY07 Avatar

Career:896-560
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
he really is a classa ct and a great fighter, not always the most exciting, but you have to give him his credit, nobody can find a way to beat him.

Post #10   7/11/08 7:31:56PM   

StraightLeft

Learning to Sprawl

StraightLeft Avatar

Career:259-174
Camp: Metro Machine
Chips:
Just like his teammate Anderson Silva, he embodies the spirit of martial arts. Technically sound and respectful to his opponents, there's no way anybody who truely enjoys the sport for what it is can disslike this guy.

Post #11   7/11/08 11:39:30PM   

StraightLeft

Learning to Sprawl

StraightLeft Avatar

Career:259-174
Camp: Metro Machine
Chips:

Posted by thesteven5918

Let me guess, you boo whenever the fight goes to ground for more than a minute or if it goes to the third round?

Post #12   7/11/08 11:47:05PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
I can't wait for some of Anderson's killer instinct to rub off on Machida. I feel that is really the only criticism against Machida. He is of superior technical ability and makes good fighters look bad in comparison. How can you not be a fan of that?

Post #13   7/11/08 11:55:49PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by thesteven5918

You obviously don't have any idea what the fight game is all about. Or anything about MIXED martial arts. Go watch some of his fights and learn about this sport beofore you post. You've got a ton of ppl quoting you to disagree than you have either posts or props. Good reason for it, you just don't have ANY IDEA.

Post #14   7/11/08 11:57:17PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Holy shit could you guys jump all over a guy for giving his opinion any more? You are all acting like stuck up know it alls. I will say it myself, the guy runs, it is not exciting and it is not the qualities of a champion. I would rather shoot myself than watch this guy run around a cage to win a decision AGAIN! Yes Machida is awesome, his technique is insane and he does have what it takes to wear the belt but good god quit acting like snobs and shitting on everyone who finds it boring. Machida can win with his style but it does not make for interesting bouts and whether this is good or bad, people will not pay to see this guy pull the same crap every fight. Get over it. I'm tired of people talking about his "skill" and that if you dont understand it that you "must not know anything about MMA". Get a life if half of you knew as much as you thought you did, you wouldnt be posting on online forums, you would be doing something far more productive with your extensive "knowledge" that everyone else seems to be missing out on.

Machida is BORING.....FACT......is he good, yes very. Argue with that.

Post #15   7/12/08 5:27:01AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2