Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

TUF for Better or for Worse

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
There have been a lot of conversations about differenct aspects of the TUF series but never really anything about the show itself. I'm curious to know how people really feel about it. Both new and old fans have there opinions about it. Some people hate it and for some people they never would have seen MMA without it. Anyone who thinks it's a negative for the sport is wrong. And that's not just IMO. The show has brought more fans to MMA then the first decade of the UFC. I was happy whenever they dropped all those stupid Survivor style challenges from the first couple seasons and focused entirely on training and fighting. It's really been a launching pad for great fighters who deserve there shot in th octagon like Diego Sanchez, Rashad Evans, Michael Bisping etc. My only fear is that as the ratings get higher, the show execs may start trading talent for personality. I saw this start to happen a little bit on TUF 3 IMO. Whenever I bring this up for debate I always use Pointon and Hamill as my examples.

Ross "Gladiator" Pointon was a really likeable guy. A true banger ready to fight anyone anywhere win or lose. He quickly became one of my favorite guys on the show to watch. But that doesn't change the fact that he came into that show with a 4-6 MMA record and has been run over by Rory Singer and Rich Clementi after being eliminated TWICE on the show.

Matt Hamill is a dominating wrestler with monster strength. He's also deaf. He's got huge potential in MMA and has two wins since TUF. But prior to TUF Matt had no MMA record. His first professional MMA fight was on the big stage at the TUF finale where he devestated Jess Forbes.

IMO opinion these guys never should have made the show. I might get a lot of argument on behalf of Matt Hamill. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve to be where he is and I'm sure he will have a great UFC and MMA career. But I always thought TUF was a new way too showcase up and coming MMA Talent and give deserving fighters (i.e. fighters who have proven themselves) a launching pad to the biggest MMA stage there is right now. I'm curious to see how many people agree with what I said but more curious to see how people disagree with what I said. I'm much better at responding to posts then originating them.

One more thing, let's forget there ever was a TUF 4. That was a joke and won't ever happen again. Lutter not making weight = Lame.

Post #1   3/1/07 12:08:38PM   

Hogzilla

Learning to Sprawl

Hogzilla Avatar

Career:175-126
Camp: duXup
Chips:
I gotta say that anything to do w/ MMA on TV is good cause its what I love. I will continue to watch TUF even if it bombs! If im flippin through the channels and see it on, I automatically stop and watch.

Post #2   3/1/07 12:42:22PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
I love TUF and have always followed it religiously despite some seasons being worse than others.

The more MMA the merrier a wise man once said

Post #3   3/1/07 1:02:34PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Chips:
I guess what I was trying to get across wasn't as much of how TUF is beneficial because it gives exposure to MMA. But how it will effect the caliber of fighters in the future. Yeah, the show is designed to find the best guys and give them the shot they deserve as well as a 6 figure contract. This it does well. But everyone knows that if you get on TUF you've got some UFC fights coming your way. Maybe not a 6 figure contract, but some fights. Even guys like Ross Pointon and Danny Abaddi who did abysmal on the show got a couple of fights in the octagon. People complain about TUF stacked cards, and I think this is what they are complaining about. Even if they are undercard fights, much better fighters deserve a shot to prove themselves in the UFC and aren't getting an easy shot because the TUF guys are automatically on the UFC radar. It's just becoming like the road to the UFC starts with TUF.

Post #4   3/1/07 2:58:51PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
No TUF means this site would not be here. TUF was responsible for turning to many people onto the UFC and then MMA in general. People who started out has TUF noobs have readily turned into Pride Nutthuggers.

Since TUF has come around everyone has started to train MMA. Everyone wants to be a fighter. I say in 10 years there will be some sick MMA fighters who will have trained int he sport since they were 8.

Post #5   3/1/07 3:07:21PM   

MyDementedMind

Learning to Sprawl

MyDementedMind Avatar

Career:244-168
Chips:
I wouldn't go as far as saying this site wouldn't be here if TUF wasn't. It helped alot by promoting it but TUF did not make the sport. I was a fan before TUF came around. I'm sure a majority of the people on this site were.

Post #6   3/1/07 5:15:49PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I think it would have been hilarious if they put Rampage, Cro Cop, and Werdum in the TUF series to "introduce" them to the TUF fans.

Seriously though, the show is good for the sport and young talented fighters

Post #7   3/1/07 6:04:01PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Chips:
I like seeing what type of personalities these brutes have when they're not fighting. Like Luke Cummo for instance. Who would've known he was SUCH a "geek" without the show? Would everybody hate Chris Leben as much as they do without the show?
I don't even think Tito would have as many hardcore fans as he now has if he wasn't such an awesome coach at TUF 3.

Even though I started following MMA 2001, I'm a ******* TUFer all the way!

Post #8   3/1/07 7:03:45PM   

ElGuapo31

Learning to Sprawl

ElGuapo31 Avatar

Career:97-60
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
its an entertaining reality show and the attention is great for the sport...even if it brings ignorant fans...they will get more involved in mma and eventually become more educated

Post #9   3/1/07 8:04:06PM   

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by MyDementedMind

I wouldn't go as far as saying this site wouldn't be here if TUF wasn't. It helped alot by promoting it but TUF did not make the sport. I was a fan before TUF came around. I'm sure a majority of the people on this site were.

actually, if it wasnt for TUF i wouldnt be on thi site and im guessing a lot of others too. i dont fight or train or even exercise for that matter and i watched maybe 2 or 3 dvds of mma events in my life but tuf being on free tv is what got me started. if i didnt see that show i wopuld never have thought to rent other dvds, watch pride or bookmark an mma site. tuf and anything mma no matter how large or small is why this site is here.

heck, some people on this site may have gotten beat up at some point and just wanted to learn how to defend themselves and searched on the web and WOW, mma.

Post #10   3/1/07 9:06:41PM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Chips:
I really should have phrased this differently because people are mssing my point entirely. I'm not referring to the new fan base being spawned by the reality show as being positive or negative. I'm actually not trying to refer to MMA fans at all. I'm talking about the fighters themselves. I'm saying that it seems like in the future the only way for up and comers to get into the octagon is to get on the TUF show.

Post #11   3/1/07 9:40:07PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

I really should have phrased this differently because people are mssing my point entirely. I'm not referring to the new fan base being spawned by the reality show as being positive or negative. I'm actually not trying to refer to MMA fans at all. I'm talking about the fighters themselves. I'm saying that it seems like in the future the only way for up and comers to get into the octagon is to get on the TUF show.

I think this argument was more valid till about a year ago. Now that the UFC is in the black, they seem to be acquiring plenty of talent. Matt Hammil was similiar to Koshcheck to me, so I have no problem with him being on the show.One thing I think they should do is if they find someone good who is not in the UFC, and is still young and could be a future champ some day, they should put them on the show . I think Bisping was probably a case like this. It builds him up a lot to many people before he actually enters the octagon. If Uriah Faber really is on TUF5, I think that is what they are doing again.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #12   3/1/07 10:02:41PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

I don't think the future will be like that. The UFC got lots of up and comers not from the TUF show.
Roger Huerta
Frankie Edgar
Martin Kampmann
Gabriel Gonzaga
Brandon Vera depending on if you still want to call him a UFC fighter
Jake O´Brien
Jon Fitch
Nate Marquardt

to name a few

They all got into the UFC by having good records and fighting exciting fights.

Post #13   3/1/07 10:03:12PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It's a great platform to put young guys or guys without big names but with big records on display to create heat for them as they join the promotion. The majority of the guys who go on to have great showings on the show are instant celebs in MMA and the average viewer relates better to someone they've seen before so I love TUF for bringing more exposure to the sport and creating personalities for the fighters(Chris Leben, Forrest).

Post #14   3/2/07 1:45:30PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I like any fights that are free

Post #15   3/3/07 3:27:42AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2