Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Places to train - information and requests

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Ok, so I have been going over a lot of old threads and notice there are a lot of threads about people asking if there is a place to train in a particular place. I thought I would just create a single pinned thread for people to do this in so the information is all in one place.

If you need to know where you can train, this is the thread to ask. I'll keep updating the first page with a total list of all the places (City and dojo/gym) that are given as answers, so it's kind of like a directory. I'll organize it by State/Province.

If I find that this isn't working, I'll un-pin it or delete it.

Post #1   7/9/08 11:31:25PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Regina SK, Flying Eagle Hapkido has BJJ, and Muay Thai ect.

Link

Post #2   7/10/08 12:35:43AM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,554-951
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
Came across this on another site and I know some people here were asking about training in Nashville: http://www.nashvillemma.com/

I can't personally vouch for it, but I'll give it a shot when I'm down there next (probably in a couple of months).

Post #3   7/10/08 9:49:58AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by fullerene

Came across this on another site and I know some people here were asking about training in Nashville: http://www.nashvillemma.com/

I can't personally vouch for it, but I'll give it a shot when I'm down there next (probably in a couple of months).

As I live in Nashville I know about this school.. its pretty decent from all I have heard.. and of all the schools in Middle TN its the only one I am considering any real competition as I work on opening mine.

Post #4   7/14/08 11:56:20AM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:
i'll throw in the school I train at. Powerkix Martial Arts of Janesville Wisconsin We have Brazillian Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing as well as traditional tae kwon do and karate. everyone here is real friendly and willing to help. The main BJJ instructor also trains at the Monkey Bar in Madison WI.

Post #5   7/14/08 1:12:37PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Here's my top 3 Arizona school rankings (Phoenix area)

#1 Arizona Combat Sports (Tempe)- Home of Jamie Varner (UFC, WEC LW champ), Ryan Bader (TUF 8 champ, UFC), CB Dollaway (TUF 7 finalist, UFC), Jesse Forbes (TUF 3), Ray Steinbeiss (Bodog, IFL), Steve Steinbeiss (K-1, WEC, UFC), Aaron Simpson (WEC ,UFC), Matt Riddle (TUF 7, UFC), Gustavo Dantas (ADCC), Trevor Lally, Todd Lally and a host of other great fighters.

Head Kickboxing coach- Trevor Lally
Head JJ coach- Gustavo Dantas (3rd degree black)
MMA coach- Jamie Varner

Tied for #2
Megaton Jiu Jitsu (Phoenix)- Wellington "Megaton" Dias head JJ coach. Royler Gracie student and phenomenal BJJ practicioner

The MMA Lab (Glendale) - John Crouch head JJ coach. Black belt under Royce Gracie, school is owned by Royce Gracie and he occasionally teaches there. Adam Gillespey head MT trainer. The MMA lab is a state of the art school with brand new equipment and home of fighters such as Alvin "Kid" Robinson, and Joe Veres. Very friendly environment and as I said before- state of the art equipment.

#3 The Lion's Den (Scottsdale) - Owned and operated by Ken Shamrock. Head trainers Edwin Dewees, Joe Riggs. Just opened recently but with such experience teaching there they've got a lot of promise. Only problem is they're new and their fighters don't have the most consistent records.

I've been to most of these places so if anybody has questions I can fill you in on some things about them. Arizona is a great place for MMA since we've got such great wrestlers coming out of ASU and the weather is always nice and warm for you to cut weight in

Last edited 12/27/08 2:04PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   7/25/08 11:18:10PM   

wiggum

In Full Mount

wiggum Avatar

Career:837-507
Chips:
Theres already been something posted similar to this, but now im expanding it. Im moving to Santa Cruz next year, and im looking for local gyms just to train to keep more in shape and stay sharp as opposed to being competitive and learn from the best. I know there are the more famous gyms up in san jose and the bay area but im looking to just stay local and have fun. Ive boxed and kickboxed for nearly 10 years and been submission grappling for about 3 or 4 and no longer have hardcore competitive aspirations. The gyms that ive been able to find wether they are top notch or a joke, that provide one or all programs are these:

1. Santa Cruz Kickboxing Academy
2. Pastel Boxing Club
3. Integrated Martial Sciences
4. Claudio Franca BJJ
5. Sandro Batata BJJ
6. Aptos Martial Arts Academy
7. Tiger Martial Arts Academy

Does anybody have any experiences, thoughts, or opionons on any of these places? I figure they are all subpar places unless i travel up to AKA or Shamrocks, but that is not what im looking to do.

Post #7   8/13/08 11:10:58AM   

Omega

Go TEAM!!! or I will kill you.

Omega Avatar

Career:482-300
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Ok, so I have been going over a lot of old threads and notice there are a lot of threads about people asking if there is a place to train in a particular place. I thought I would just create a single pinned thread for people to do this in so the information is all in one place.

If you need to know where you can train, this is the thread to ask. I'll keep updating the first page with a total list of all the places (City and dojo/gym) that are given as answers, so it's kind of like a directory. I'll organize it by State/Province.

If I find that this isn't working, I'll un-pin it or delete it.

Here you go Rush....

Go here

Post #8   8/25/08 1:48:31PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
does anyone know anything about Will Bernales from Bernales Institute of Martial Arts. i know he teaches BJJ and is the utah state Thai Boxing Association of America representitive. I wanna know if he is as good a they make him sound. its in Salt Lake CIty Utah. Another i was wondering about was Mushin Fighting Corps. I don't know much about them other than they have a nice gym. I know jeremy horns school is down here but he teaches more just mma and i would prefer muay thai or some type of martial art. I was taking Shaolin Kempo for a while but i want somewhere where i can spar full conact because the Kempo place kinda gave me more bad habits than good. anyone have any suggestions?

Post #9   9/14/08 4:29:33AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
I found a BJJ school here pardon the spelling.. but its a Royler Gracie ( please give me the correct spelling so I can edit it) it just opened up in fact the instructor only has like 5 regular students and like 6 fringe students.. I am checking the school out tomorrow and will train a few times with them and post a review.. but the instructor seems like a great guy I spoke with him on the phone.. he has a great attitude on training. and thats here in Nashville, TN I will post more details as I find them out..

Post #10   9/23/08 11:37:12AM   

Hammy42

Learning to Sprawl

Career:361-279
Camp: Pride Hunters
Chips:
Where to train in PA closer to the greensburg are but name any good gyms in PA

Post #11   9/27/08 4:43:02PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Hammy42

Where to train in PA closer to the greensburg are but name any good gyms in PA

Looks like Wilson Reis and Jared Weiner have a gym in Pennsylvania. www.bjjunited.com/

I don't know Pennsylvania that well so it might not be near your house, but as soon as heard both of these names I knew exactly who they were, so that tells you something.

Post #12   9/27/08 4:48:42PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
I heard Dan Severon open a school in NEPA.. in the Scranton area..

Post #13   9/27/08 8:18:29PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Chips:
ok here is the school I train at.. as I said when I had the contact info I would post it so here it is :

Royler Gracie Jiu Jitsu
Team RGDA (Royler Gracie David Adiv)
Shields Mixed Martial Arts (Jake Shields)
Instructor: Greg Smith
(615) 594-6256
RGDAFighter@gmail.com
4894 Nolensville Pike, Next to Big Lotts
Nashville TN, 37211
WWW.RGDA.ORG
WWW.JakeShields.com
WWW.Myspace.com/rgdatn

Post #14   10/5/08 10:50:18AM   

TOFugitive

Learning to Sprawl

TOFugitive Avatar

Career:14-16
Chips:
i need some advice on what to eat im 17, looking to lose 30 pounds ive been lifting weight everyday except sunday for 45 minutes for the past 6 month and just started running for 30 minutes 2 weeks ago any advice on what to eat the healthy nutruitional way, please and thank you

Post #15   12/2/08 7:13:06PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3