Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fabricio Werdum on UFC Debut, Fighting Cro Cop

Print  
Posted By Message

ffforgottenx

Standup Guy

ffforgottenx Avatar

Career:2,386-1,570
Chips:
here's a link , but it is in portuguese, so this is the best translation i could come up with.. to the best of my abilities

----------------------------------------------------

Changing from Pride to the UFC

Fabrício Werdum is another athlete who is changing the ring of Pride for the octagon of the UFC. The Brazilian will fight in UFC 70, that happens on April 21 in England, against the former-heavyweight-champion of the UFC Andrei Arlovski. World-wide champion of Jiu-Jitsu, Werdum granted an exclusive interview where he spoke on the organization change, on the fight against Arlovski, its training and of a possible confrontation with his former training partner Mirko Cro Cop and with Gabriel Napão, to who Werdum already defeated in Jungle Fight 2. He confers below in the interview.

How was this change of the Pride for the UFC?

My manager, Ken May, he said that I would fight in Pride 33, but it seems that they had not accepted the pay that people asked for, then they found it better to go for the UFC. They did not explain it to me very well, but I go there much better pay, practically double what I was receiving in Pride.

But did you not have a contract with Pride?

No, my contract is with Ken May, also tt finished in December and I intend to renew. As I already had said, this year I want to be champion. And now I am in the UFC, there I want to be champion. I signed a contract of four fights with the UFC and intend to dispute the championship in the third or the fourth fight of my contract.

You were the trainer of Cro Cop for a while and had always said that you did not want to face eachother. He also left Pride for the UFC and also wants the championship…

If we will have to fight, we go to fight. He wants the championship as much as I do. We go to be the best, therefore we were of the same team, we have the same to manager and we are friends. Also he wants that I come back now to train with them. [something i cant decipher about talking sufficiently]

You faced and defeated Gabriel Napão in Jungle Fight. Now he also is in the UFC and says he can come back on the road to the championship. How would it be in a fight today?

Napão is tough, its good that it he only has one defeat, that was from me in Jungle Fight. I find that today the fight would be very different. We are more professional, and in that fight we did not have the physical preparation of today. We were warlike in that fight and today I find that the fight would be much more technical. He would like to fight again and he will have to do that to catch the championship, we fight.

How they walk its training?

I had surgery on the throat and the nose in the start of the year. It was with acute amidalite in the throat and a septic shunting line in the nose. I was in rehab for three weeks of recovering me to health, but already I came back to training after one week. I have trained the ground part with the Mário Strong Reis and the Márcio, that also is a black-belt, I am making the preparation with a Cuban who is here with me and the boxing I am training always with the Cafuringa.

What do you think of this fight against Andrei Arlovski?

When we do not know when we are going to fight we are a little unmotivated, but now that I already have this fight with Arlovski set I am livened up. I like to fight with difficult people, Arlovski already has that title, that is former-champion of the weight class. Arlovski is very dangerous on foot, likes to play in the counterattack, but I am training sufficient boxing. If he will have to change, ill change with it and it will probably be better, since my forte is jiu-jitsu. I train sufficiently to make a good fight and power soon to dispute the championship.

What did you think of the fights of Wanderlei Silva and Rogério Minotouro in Pride 33?

*sorry this one is hard to translate, doing my best*

Minotouro was very well prepared. The training can be good, but I find that what happened was the luck of the draw. He can repair that it lowered and freed that half Cruzado without wanting (???). Minotouro does not have glass chin, but the Cruzado entered quickly and caught the tip of the chin. It was luck of the draw, if they were to fight again Minotouro is successful. Already in the fight of Wanderlei I found that Dan Henderson was better. I find that the American was with more will. Wanderlei did not make a mistake, he took one spinning punch before he entered, as much that it gave a stop and when they had been to change caught that Cruzado of Henderson who knocked out Wanderlei.

Who do you think can beat Henderson in 83kg and in 93kg?

In 83kg Paulo Filho wins it with certainty and in 93kg Maurício Shogun.

-------------------------------------------------------------

hopefully i didnt butcher it too much.. enjoy

Post #1   3/1/07 8:53:16AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
thanks for the interview... Good as always...

Werdum is a beast... I can't believe how low-key the UFC picked him up...

Excited to see the fight at 70

Post #2   3/1/07 11:01:20AM   

BloodandTears

Standup Guy

BloodandTears Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: duXup
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

thanks for the interview... Good as always...

Werdum is a beast... I can't believe how low-key the UFC picked him up...

Excited to see the fight at 70

What? Man UFC is taking over. Werdum is bad as they get and a definate benifit to UFC. Thats great news and I hope to see this transaction take place. Good posts

Post #3   3/1/07 11:09:40AM   

ElGuapo31

Learning to Sprawl

ElGuapo31 Avatar

Career:97-60
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
ill be picking him to beat arlovski for sure

Post #4   3/1/07 12:00:50PM   

JoeMimic

MMA Regular

JoeMimic Avatar

Career:1,754-1,074
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
I can't wait to see the odds on this one; I've got a feeling Werdum will be a good underdog bet. Here's to hoping the real "Pitbull" comes back long hair beard fangs and all. You do know that's the only reason he lost to Sylvia don't you? He cut his damn hair. I think this will be a great fight; Arlovski admitted after his last fight with Pe De Pano that he hadn't been training as hard as he should've been before losing to Tim the last two times. He's refocused starting with his training against Pe De Pano and I'd expect nothing but a very game and very dangerous Andrei Arlovski come UFC 70.

Post #5   3/1/07 12:13:15PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by JoeMimic

I can't wait to see the odds on this one; I've got a feeling Werdum will be a good underdog bet. Here's to hoping the real "Pitbull" comes back long hair beard fangs and all. You do know that's the only reason he lost to Sylvia don't you? He cut his damn hair. I think this will be a great fight; Arlovski admitted after his last fight with Pe De Pano that he hadn't been training as hard as he should've been before losing to Tim the last two times. He's refocused starting with his training against Pe De Pano and I'd expect nothing but a very game and very dangerous Andrei Arlovski come UFC 70.

Word to that... Andrei is like Sampson... His power comes from his hair...

If he comes in as the hairy beast, he wins... comes in clean cut with a fresh chest and back wax, Werdum by sub.

Post #6   3/1/07 12:36:25PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
it was not luck..it was "hot foot to the face"..lol

great translation...right click/translate page to english didnt translate it as good as you ;)

Props!...if it lets me..

Post #7   3/1/07 1:00:33PM   

ffforgottenx

Standup Guy

ffforgottenx Avatar

Career:2,386-1,570
Chips:

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

it was not luck..it was "hot foot to the face"..lol

great translation...right click/translate page to english didnt translate it as good as you ;)

Props!...if it lets me..

haha yea i know it was 'hot foot to the face'.. i was just trying to think of what that could actually mean in english haha.. luck of the draw is all i could come up with that would make some sort of sense.. spent a good 20 minutes working through the translation haha and still some of it i was like

Post #8   3/1/07 1:17:55PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i take werdum you take arlovski

any takers? 1.5-1 odds

Post #9   3/1/07 8:42:19PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,941-1,101
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Good find . Thanks for trying to translate, we get the gist at least. Werdum vs Gonzaga 2 would be great on the ground, I'm still not sure which way to go on Werdum vs Arlovski. I'm glad he and Cro-cop are willing to fight eachother though

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #10   3/1/07 9:39:03PM