Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

thiago silva should be ranked higher than machida! machida=overrated

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Machida is SO dominant he makes his opponents look like children that can't even touch him. Comparing Thiago, at this point in their careers, isn't even laughable. Machida is the best LHW in the world right now. Line your guys up, he's about to beat them all.

Post #16   7/9/08 4:23:15PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

Machida is SO dominant he makes his opponents look like children that can't even touch him. Comparing Thiago, at this point in their careers, isn't even laughable. Machida is the best LHW in the world right now. Line your guys up, he's about to beat them all.

Never thought I would use this smiley on one of your posts Jimi, but I can't argue with that.

edit - I'd prop you but I gotta spread the love

Last edited 7/9/08 4:30PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   7/9/08 4:24:37PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
I defend Machida on every one of these threads because i hate stupid remarks like "Machida runs away" or "Machida=overrated". This is a guy that fights anybody they put in front of him and he makes the people he fights look like amateurs. Soko knocked out Arona and Nogueira. So his punching power is just as good as Silva's and we seen what happened to Soko. I think Machida right now would walk right through Silva. And i also really like Silva but i dont think he is quite on the same level as Machida. Once again Machida WILL be LHW champ.

Post #18   7/9/08 4:36:58PM   

EON

Banned

Career:112-65
Chips:

Posted by mikek32293

ok.. hear me out

they both have 13-0 records except thiago finishes his fights...10 tkos 2 submisions and 1 decisions!! machidas got 8 ******* desicions!!

and i know ur probably gonna say well thiago hasnt faced any competion.. but he does have wins over houston alexnder and James irvin both in which he finshed the fights. machida has wins over franklin who is a middlewieght penn who is a light wieght and was a very close fight..

his only signifacant light heavy wieght fights are against tito(over the hill, not top ten), soko (maybe top ten but still very unproven), and nakumara.

im not saying thiago has faced better competition but he finishes fights! and machida still hasnt proven to me that he could beat top calliaber light heavies. in my opinion he would lose to chuck, rampage, hendo, thiago, wandy, anderson, shogun, and verra.

Post #19   7/9/08 5:19:48PM   

Purge

Standup Guy

Purge Avatar

Career:562-312
Chips:
Machida would beat Thiago's ass.

Post #20   7/9/08 5:20:46PM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,581-1,411
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Purge

Machida would beat Thiago's ass.

Post #21   7/9/08 5:32:39PM   

eyeforeigneye

MMA Regular

eyeforeigneye Avatar

Career:491-288
Chips:
realistically they should fight each other next, both of them have looked stellar (well except Silva against Mendes) but i wanna see more from both of them first. instead we'll probably get some shit like Thiago vs Jardine

Post #22   7/9/08 5:38:24PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by mikek32293

DOES BEATING TITO ORTIZ AND SOKO MAKE U A TOP FIVE LIGHT HEAVY WIEGHT IN THE WORLD!?!?

How about

Tito Ortiz
Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
Kazuhiro Nakamura
Vernon White
B.J. Penn
Rich Franklin

??????

The bottom line is that he has beaten a variety of fighters at different skill levels and has done so in a domiant fashion.

I have to question this:

Tito - In Tito's last 5 fights he had a draw with Rashad. He beat a over-the-hill Shamrock twice. He beat Forrest and Vitor who many beleive Tito lost

Soko - Not a Top 10 at all. Had 5 fights at the time

Vernon White - He's 26-32. enough said

BJ Penn - He's the 155 lb champ. The fight went to a decision. That's a hell of alot more about BJ then Machida.

Rich Franklin - A 185 lb. fighter

Nakumaro - He's game. He's 11-8 with 7 decisions.

If I told you that was Chuck's record and fans were saying he deserves a title shot, would you agree? Or would you say he needs to fight better comp?

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #23   7/9/08 5:46:02PM   

Shoppe

Learning to Sprawl

Career:682-352
Chips:

Posted by zephead

I have to question this:

Tito - In Tito's last 5 fights he had a draw with Rashad. He beat a over-the-hill Shamrock twice. He beat Forrest and Vitor who many beleive Tito lost

BJ Penn - He's the 155 lb champ. The fight went to a decision. That's a hell of alot more about BJ then Machida.

If I told you that was Chuck's record and fans were saying he deserves a title shot, would you agree? Or would you say he needs to fight better comp?

It's not as simple as, this is his record, does he deserve a title shot?

Rampage got a title shot after a split decision win over Lindland and a win over Eastman. Two fighters who are now fighting at 185.

You have to look at the fighters record, his fights and how other fighters are doing compared to him. And right now, no fighter is doing better than Lyoto.

Last edited 7/9/08 6:16PM server time by shoppe

Post #24   7/9/08 6:13:11PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by Shoppe

Posted by zephead

I have to question this:

It's not as simple as, this is his record, does he deserve a title shot?

Rampage got a title shot after a split decision win over Lindland and a win over Eastman. Two fighters who are now fighting at 185.

You have to look at the fighters record, his fights and how other fighters are doing compared to him. And right now, no fighter is doing better than Lyoto.

Rampage got a shot so quick because there was some serious money in Rampage vs Liddell 2 not because everyone else didnt deserve it yet

Last edited 7/9/08 6:26PM server time by mkiv9secsupra

Post #25   7/9/08 6:24:47PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by zephead

I have to question this:

I didn't think this thread was about Machida deserving a title shot or not, but rather if he should be ranked above Thiago Silva.

As to some of your comments about weight classes, I was under the impression that both BJ and Franklin were the same weight as Machida when they fought him. Vernon white was more like 24-27 when fought Machida, but his record needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I tend not to take Pancrase records too seriously. Nakamura is not the best fighter out there, but his losses are to top fighters so it is hard to criticize his record too much. And Tito, well despite the fact I agree that he is not top 10 material any more, he is still a challange for lower tier fighters. i.e. IMO he was a decent gatekeeper for top 10 fighters.

I see we differ in our definitions of being dominant, but I don't think I have advocated Machida for a title shot. I wouldn't complain if he got one, because I can't think of too many LHWs (if any) that deserve one more than him right now.

Post #26   7/9/08 6:27:04PM   

Shoppe

Learning to Sprawl

Career:682-352
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Rampage got a shot so quick because there was some serious money in Rampage vs Liddell 2 not because everyone else didnt deserve it yet

Which other fighters deserved a title shoot during that time?

Post #27   7/9/08 6:29:19PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

When the entire 205 division is ducking Thiago, give me a call

Damn, must spread the love.

Post #28   7/9/08 6:38:33PM   

jimmypockets

ThE ThIcKFrEAkNeSS

jimmypockets Avatar

Career:1,090-730
Camp: RuStY CaGe FiGhT TeAm
Chips:
This is ridiculous. Thiago Silva is a good up and coming fighter but to even suggest that Machida wouldn't complete control and beat him is laughable. I like both fighters but to even suggest this makes me question your judgement. Machida is technically sound in amost every way. Thiago Silva is not. He is very talented but he still lacks any wins over opponents that are established. Houston Alexander doens't count *sorry*

XB Live Gamertags- J1mMy PoCkEtS, Th3 Barncat

Post #29   7/9/08 6:42:58PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Although I do agree Machida is overrated to a certain extent, more from his huge diehard fans. Their is NO WAY Thiago should be ranked higher then Machida. Machida is undefeated and hasn't lost a round his whole entire MMA career. Thiago's biggest win was over Houston. You do the math, Machida alreayd beat Soko which cancels that big win off plus Machida beat Tito who's still very marketable.

Machida should be creeping up on the top 5 and should get in with a win over one of the other top 5. Thiago IMHO is still creeping into people's top 10. And this coming from a hardcore Thiago fan.

Post #30   7/9/08 6:48:01PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3