Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

State officials weigh in on new weight classes

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,989-1,152
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
A wise man once said "to change and change for the better are two different things."

The Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC) last week found itself toeing that fine line when the group released its newly revamped recommendations for the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts. While there were several issues addressed in the new form, only one has caused an uproar: the changing of MMA's traditional weight classes to a new 14-tier system.

Several of the country's most influential athletic-board directors also disagree with the new weight class standards, and a few shared their thoughts with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

LINK

Post #1   7/9/08 1:32:48PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
i completely disagree with the new weight classes. like they said in the article there is nothing wrong with that we have now. it would also break up some of the sports key weight divisions.

Post #2   7/9/08 2:16:34PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
well look, the fact that there are new weight classes doesn't mean that they are necessarily going to be used. The UFC and any other organization have the right to pick and choose what weight classes they include in their business. I'm sure a few organizations will take them up, but I kind of doubt the UFC is going to do that any time soon.

I could be wrong, but I would be surprised.

Post #3   7/9/08 2:21:36PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

well look, the fact that there are new weight classes doesn't mean that they are necessarily going to be used. The UFC and any other organization have the right to pick and choose what weight classes they include in their business. I'm sure a few organizations will take them up, but I kind of doubt the UFC is going to do that any time soon.

No, you're right...Dana has already laughed and said they won't adopt them.

Post #4   7/9/08 2:29:21PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Aether

No, you're right...Dana has already laughed and said they won't adopt them.

yeah i know Dana said they won't adopt them and it looks like most of the commissions won't either. i just find it stupid they wasted their time creating these new divisions when they didn't need them in the first place. just seems like a huge waste of time to me.

Post #5   7/9/08 2:40:21PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,442-795
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Nice to see that a lot of the commissions don't agree with these new weight classes or rules. I don't see how you can call them unified rules when most states had no say in them at all. Also 2 of the biggest states in MMA CA and NV weren't even there shows just how much they are not unified at all. Also why is this all being done by a boxing commission. Shouldn't MMA have its own commission when it comes to unifying rules, that way they don't try to turn MMA in to boxing and its main focus is always MMA and its rules and not Boxing and its rules.

Post #6   7/9/08 2:58:44PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think the no smothering rule is really stupid though. It's similar to the "downward pointing elbow" rule that they got rid of... it's the same weapon being used in a different way. Only in this case a much less effective way.

I really don't understand what the prupose is of this rule, I predict that there's going to be a lot of annoying controversy about whether a grinding elbow was also being used to smother a guy or if someone is cross-facing to create space and he does it over their mouth. It's just a stupid rule that can only create problems.

Post #7   7/9/08 3:17:32PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Change for the sake of change is never a good thing, and that's what this is. Fourteen weight divisions? The proposal is mind boggling.

The UFC has probably the largest stable of fighters right now at roughly 200 fighters. That would equal to about 13 fighters per division. "Hey cool guys, we're all in the top ten!" It's like they came up with the idea to just transcribe boxing divisions to MMA.

Maybe next time they should come up with a thorough comprehensive study of why change X is needed etc. Right now it looks like they're just brainstorming without any research or logic.

Also make no mistake Big John is a well respected guy in MMA, but perhaps he's not the ideal correspondance needed regarding MMA regulations.

Here's an idea: include the larger organizations like the UFC in these kinds of discussions, because if you can get them to follow, it's more likely others will follow suit.

Last edited 7/9/08 4:29PM server time by luke420187
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   7/9/08 4:27:39PM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,478-836
Chips:
Big John is a really great referee, but from what I've seen that's where his talents end. I think he wants to make waves in the MMA community and exercise whatever new power he has at the expense of the sport. I love boxing, but one of the reasons I don't really follow it anymore is the proliferation of unnecessary belts that I can't keep track of, and which cheapen and water down other divisions.

Post #9   7/9/08 5:02:27PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:558-406
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
The weight classes were instituted by a boxing commission. I read the article and understood that MMA was encouraged to addopt them for the sake of the sport as a whole....but I could be wrong....it also sounds like everybody but big john....thinks the classes are bogus. I think it could kill the sport. Hell boxers don't even like the fact that they have so many weight classes. That's the whole reason for the revamping of their sport. Leave the MMA world alone. As for Dana white being concerned with his business and not the sport as a whole so be it....I mean I'm concerned about my stock portfolio, but the only interest I have in yours is whether or not the contents there in will help mine to grow ya know? Dana white is a hell of a promoter. At the end of the day the majority of these guys make weight pretty consistently....why the hell do we need a change? Rarely ever does a 206 pounder have to fight some big ass 265 pounder. He can cut the pound. I agree with all of you. Leave the weightclasses alone.

Post #10   7/9/08 8:18:17PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:558-406
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
Why the hell is the ABC getting involved in MMA....those guys have claimed that the sports have nothing in common since the UFC hit the mainstream...I don't get it....if somebody can help make this article more clear to me I'd appreciate. Sorry for not posting this in my last post.

Post #11   7/9/08 8:20:16PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
Crap. I didn't think it would be possible to lose some respect for John McCarthy, but I have. I don't care for his subtle dig about when DW came into the UFC picture either. It doesn't matter that DW wasn't present at UFC 12. The fact remains, and I think everyone will agree with this, is that DW and the Fertittas put MMA where it is at right now. When they came on with the UFC, it was dead as shit. If not for DW, Big John would be refereeing high school wrestling and probably working as a consultant for crappy "B" karate movies.
MMA doesn't need more weight classes. Work on something important John, that you may actually have useful information about: scoring and judging. One of the reasons I don't follow boxing as much is due to the number of superfluous weight divisions.
My feeling is that ath ABC and WAMMA are trying to fool people with smoke and mirrors to get around the fact that they want to be where Dana White and the UFC are. Beware the new era of McCarthyism.

-OUT-

Post #12   7/9/08 9:18:33PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,989-1,152
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Crap. I didn't think it would be possible to lose some respect for John McCarthy, but I have. I don't care for his subtle dig about when DW came into the UFC picture either. It doesn't matter that DW wasn't present at UFC 12. The fact remains, and I think everyone will agree with this, is that DW and the Fertittas put MMA where it is at right now. When they came on with the UFC, it was dead as shit. If not for DW, Big John would be refereeing high school wrestling and probably working as a consultant for crappy "B" karate movies.
MMA doesn't need more weight classes. Work on something important John, that you may actually have useful information about: scoring and judging. One of the reasons I don't follow boxing as much is due to the number of superfluous weight divisions.
My feeling is that ath ABC and WAMMA are trying to fool people with smoke and mirrors to get around the fact that they want to be where Dana White and the UFC are. Beware the new era of McCarthyism.

-OUT-

Well said. Props

Post #13   7/10/08 1:21:46AM