Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Why the Muhammad Ali Act Should Apply to Mixed Martial Arts.

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,815-1,059
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This article argues that the Muhammad Ali Act should apply to mixed martial arts, which contains the majority of the substantive legal protections for boxers.

LINK

Post #1   7/9/08 1:27:35PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,473-1,157
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
Isn't this what effectivley killed boxing. Why would we want it than. I would prefer to see MMA arround for a long time than see it fizzle and die because one or two people don't like the UFC

Post #2   7/9/08 3:32:09PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
I actually read the whole thing and here are my thoughts as they relate to the UFC....

Section A "Objective Rankings Criteria" - This sounds fair, but to date it seems unnecessary in the UFC. The UFC has thus far been very objective in its ranking of fighters as they head towards title shots.

Section B "...Contracts..." - Yes the UFC should heed this one. If Fedor actually speaks the truth about the contract he was offered then that is a purely insane offer by the UFC.

Section C "Conflicts of Interest" - The UFC as of yet has not exhibited any favoritism in its matchmaking efforts when lining up fights. It is insane for Lindland to demand the ability to choose for himself who and when he will fight.

Section D "...Disclosures..." - Fair enough. But only necessary if the promoter is very crooked and untrustworthy. Again UFC has always exhibited ethical behavior.

Section E "...Standards..." - This is already supplied by the MMA Unified Rules. Of course at present, these rules are merely optional for an organization to adopt. However we have seen that any organization that wants to be viewed as legitimate, has made sure to adopt the unified rules.

Final thought.... Really as far as the UFC is concerned I think the only thing that they need to improve upon is the outrageous terms of their contracts. Other than that, I think the UFC has set a good example for other promotions in how to behave and function. The only need for the Muhammad Ali Act is if promotions start becoming excessively unethical.

Post #3   7/9/08 10:14:29PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,361-755
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't see a reason for it. The Muhammad Ali act really didn't help the fighters in anyway at all. Boxing still has a lot of the base problems it has always had. Like the fact if your not the champ you don't make hardly anything at all. Some guys complain about the UFC not paying enough but they pay a lot more to their under card fighters than any boxing event ever has. Your Boxing events now are 2nd rate you may get one good match but still then that's unlikely as most of the time its a mismatch as the main event. But what truly almost killed boxing is dirty promoters, Blood sucking agents, and corrupt commissions.

Post #4   7/9/08 11:04:59PM