Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

No MMA In Massachusetts

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Yet. Lawmakers in the state emerged from the year's legislative session last week without forwarding a bill to the governor that, if signed, would regulate the sport in UFC President Dana White's old stomping grounds and open the door to UFC events. Matthew Moran, chief of staff for state Sen. James Timilty, said members of the legislature's conference committee simply did not have the time to vet the MMA legislation that Timilty had proposed and still meet its deadline to get the rest of the state budget in front of the governor. This means no MMA in MA until at least Spring '09.

Article

Post #1   7/8/08 12:03:32PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I've heard about this bill. I'm confused, we already have MMA here in MA. There's several small orgs running shows.

Do you know any more about it?

EDIT:: I guess it's allowed but unregulated? UFC will only hold it where it is regulated?

Last edited 7/8/08 12:43PM server time by jimimak
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/8/08 12:41:52PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i guess their plan to go to boston in november is out, here is an idea why don't you go back to cali for at least one damm event this year

Post #3   7/8/08 5:37:11PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

I've heard about this bill. I'm confused, we already have MMA here in MA. There's several small orgs running shows.

EDIT:: I guess it's allowed but unregulated? UFC will only hold it where it is regulated?

I'm guessing yes, or it's possible that only amateur MMA is allowed there and not pro MMA. That's the case in a few other states in the US.

Post #4   7/8/08 5:44:10PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Well thank god they had time to place a $1.00 tax on ciggarettes instead.

Man the wheels turn really slow in Mass sometimes...umm ok most of the time.

Last edited 7/8/08 6:18PM server time by luke420187

Post #5   7/8/08 6:06:03PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Posted by JimiMak

I'm guessing yes, or it's possible that only amateur MMA is allowed there and not pro MMA. That's the case in a few other states in the US.

It must be a matter of non regulation or something, cuz I know for a fact that pro events go on here on a regular basis.

and yes luke, they turn slow unless it's gay marriage or an issue no other state wants, then the wheels turn real quick. Not bashing an issue, just saying they're slow on issues other states are doing and fast when they think they can be first.

Last edited 7/8/08 10:12PM server time by jimimak

Post #6   7/8/08 6:20:28PM