Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Why Wandy vs Hendo as main event?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,000-1,126
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Moving a guy from a lighter weight class( even if he is a stud)doesn't make sense to me. To top it off they have already had both of these champs lose on grand prix's. Your just adding another loss to one of them. Lil Nog has earned that shot. If they are having Hendo fight Wand because he's American I don't think they understand us that well. If they have him fighting Wand because they think he is recognizable to the casual fan here it makes little sense. He hasn't fought in the UFC since UFC number 17 in 1998. Maybe because he beat Vitor on their first US show they think it will help sell it. However, Vitor is still the most recognizable fighter to the US on prides roster , to the casual fan. Also, since he has a victory over Silva they could sell that. It would probably be an explosive 2 to 3 minute fight , with Wandy being prepared for the rush and outchinning him this time. Vitor seems to only be worth watching the first few minutes of a fight now anyway, and Wand is a finishe and would put him away. It would make for good entertainment and put Siva over in the US. The only chance we will ever have of seeing a cross promotional matchup is if Pride develops a signifigant US presence. Otherwise, the UFC would only be helping them by doing so. If they keep promoting this way the UFC will just keep buying up the contracts of every fighter who's contract comes up. While I do love the UFC, monopoly's are bad for the sport, especially the fighter's pay. They need to hire someone else to run things or we might lose them. At least in the US. Maybe I'm just worrying to much , somebody will step up in the US if they don't . Where their is money to be made somebody usually steps up to cash in. Still, their needs to be at least 1 other signifigant US presence for MMA to continue grow well here.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #1   1/19/07 2:16:51PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,600-1,486
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
the only reason that hendo is fighting wandy is because he's an american, sucks but thats what pride thinks it has to do to sell in the states, im really hoping that the fedor gardener rumors are true really would suck to not have fedor on the card and expose him more to the us casual fans, but with all the bodog rumors that fight is seeming more and more like just a rumor

Post #2   1/19/07 2:44:38PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
because henderson is american, most mma fans know who silva is, and their first fight was a slugfest (what americans love to see) sure it's not the best matchup cuz of rankings and stuff, but if rumors are true then they are on a downward slope to goin out of business, and want to appeal to the americans fans a little bit more than their die hard fans for this event.

/smart on their part imo.

Post #3   1/19/07 2:47:54PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I agree that the fact that diehards are gonna watch no matter what , but if you see my previous post you'll seee while I disagree. It also would hurt them if they stopped insulting the UFC, any casual fans will be turned off by this. No one likes to be told they are ignorant or stupid. How you say things is often as important as what you say. I had a couple of new MMA fans who wereinto the UFC watch the first US pride show and they immediately got their backs up about the UFC bashing on the show. They should either ignore he UFC on their broadcast or at least call them out in a more respectful way.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #4   1/19/07 3:07:59PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Great thread hippy.

I am only happy to see a rematch between the two, the first was very close and Hendo could actually suprise people.

Post #5   1/19/07 3:43:38PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
sure he could surprise people.. its nevada rules, no kicks or knees while on ground..
huge advantage to hendo!

Post #6   1/19/07 3:44:56PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

sure he could surprise people.. its nevada rules, no kicks or knees while on ground..
huge advantage to hendo!

OHH SHIT, no soccer kicks, no jumping head stomps!! Wandy is in trouble if he can't fight dirty!!

Post #7   1/31/07 1:02:26PM   

thelastking

MMA Regular

thelastking Avatar

Career:1,965-1,204
Chips:
Hendo has a good chance in this fight it should be a war but im pulling for Wandy. It seems like a great fight to me and im happy it on the card would have prefered LILNOG but what can you do.

Post #8   1/31/07 1:16:13PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Vitor would have made more sense for a match in the US, but Vitor got caught using roids at their last event, so thats right out. This should be a good match though.

I agree that Lil Nog would have been a better match-up for the title, but I'd honestly rather they do it in Japan under Prides normal rules, as it would be a shame if Wandy lost his belt on US soil because he couldn't fight the way he usually does.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #9   1/31/07 5:45:30PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
I also believe that Lil Nog would be a better matchup it would be a war. Shogun vs. Lil Nog is one of my favorite matches of all time and I believe that this match would be even more exciting, but we're stuck with what we have right now and Wandy is losing some of his biggest weapons since he is fighting in the U.S. I still think that he will pull it out with a dec. though.

Post #10   1/31/07 6:52:19PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Really good point but a pain to read since there no room for pause in the text. A little space wouldn't hurt.

But as I said, great point and I agree. I would much rather see someone of Wandys caliber fight someone his own size, like Vitor.
The only problem with that match-up is that Vitor hasn't done anything good lately. It's like a Fedor - Hunt match-up, only worse.

They also wouldn't be able to hype it up as a champion vs champion battle as Vitor is as far from a championship belt as Danny Abbadi atm.

Edit: Yeah Lil Nog would be the perfect match-up from a hardcore fan stand point but nobody in US except the diehard fans knows who he is.

Last edited 1/31/07 7:03PM server time by Stickan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   1/31/07 7:00:13PM   

BabbyHughes

MMA Regular

BabbyHughes Avatar

Career:623-389
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
Yeah, there are alot of matches that Pride sets up that doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever. Nice post, and go Wandy!

Post #12   1/31/07 7:25:59PM   

Kazmierz21

MMA Regular

Kazmierz21 Avatar

Career:729-446
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:
Should be a good matchup - Hendo is a tough dude and with the no knees/kicks on the ground Wandy has lost some of his finishing moves - fight would be much more wild in Japan though - can't we submit a collection of Pride tapes to the Nevada Gaming Commission (or whatever body governs these things) and show them there is no harm done in allowing such strikes - while we're at it maybe we could get them to remove the pointless elbows in UFC so that we don't see K-Flo get any more title shots

Post #13   1/31/07 8:11:04PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kazmierz21

Should be a good matchup - Hendo is a tough dude and with the no knees/kicks on the ground Wandy has lost some of his finishing moves - fight would be much more wild in Japan though - can't we submit a collection of Pride tapes to the Nevada Gaming Commission (or whatever body governs these things) and show them there is no harm done in allowing such strikes - while we're at it maybe we could get them to remove the pointless elbows in UFC so that we don't see K-Flo get any more title shots

I think elbows are one of the best ground fighting weapons. You can get cut with any strike. However, I think almost everyone would agree that knees on the ground would be a good idea, I just don't like soccer kicks and facial footstomps. IMO those are the 2 most likely ways for someone to die in an MMA match. That would not only mean some guys death , but it would give everyone who hates MMA a excuse to try and ban it.

The Iron Code

Post #14   1/31/07 8:19:52PM   

Hangton

Learning to Sprawl

Hangton Avatar

Career:18-9
Chips:
i agree a better main event would have been Silva VS. Lil Nog but what can you do its still gonna be great

Post #15   1/31/07 9:25:56PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2