Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What do you think about the current MMA scoring system?

Print  
Should MMA implement a new scoring system?
Yes, new scoring system and judges 5 38%
Yes, just a new scoring system 3 23%
No, but better judges who are focused only on MMA 4 31%
No, the current system works 1 8%
Posted By Message

L-Dahab_87

Learning to Sprawl

L-Dahab_87 Avatar

Career:34-18
Chips:
I think that a 10 Point must scoring system isn't effective in MMA, we need a scoring system that is as elaborate and sophisticated as the sport itself. We need a system that is immune to judge subjectivity and bias.

MMA currently uses a 10 point-must scoring system, a system that was adopted from boxing, which, when compared to MMA, is a one-dimensional sport. The 10 point-must scoring system was designed for a sport that focuses on punching. As you all know, punching strikes are just one aspect of MMA.

We need a system that also takes into consideration:

Submission attempts
Near submission finishes
Effective Takedown attempts
Takedowns
Knees
Effective groundwork
etc.

We also need MMA JUDGES. After a little research I found out that most MMA bouts are scored by boxing judges! I find this ridiculous. These judges are used to watching a purely stand up fight, so when kicks, knees, submissions, take downs, and groundwork come into play, they are immediately taken out of their element. Shouldn't we have judges who have been solely focused on MMA? I think with a little training and a more sophisticated and improved scoring system, retired fighters would make terrific judges. Someone who was a fighter and understands ALL aspects of MMA would be much better suited to judge a fight than a boxing judge, I don't think you can argue that.

To sum it up. MMA is using a one-dimensional scoring system for a three-dimensional sport, it simply can't work. If MMA wants to keep evolving at its current rate, then a change must be made.

What do you guys think, how could we improve the current system?

The current scoring system:

http://mmafever.blogspot.com/2007/10/10-point-must-system-for-mma.html

Post #1   7/7/08 5:04:27PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
Better judges would help A LOT. Guys that are former collegiate wrestlers, BJJ or Judo Blackbelts, and k1 level strikers etc would make good judges. Also bumping the number of judges up to 5 would help with the close fights. right now there are generally two judges who seem to know whats going on and then the one idiot who was watching some other fight. With two more judges it'd be able to even things out and give a more accurate decision.

Post #2   7/7/08 5:16:12PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Better judges would help A LOT. Guys that are former collegiate wrestlers, BJJ or Judo Blackbelts, and k1 level strikers etc would make good judges. Also bumping the number of judges up to 5 would help with the close fights. right now there are generally two judges who seem to know whats going on and then the one idiot who was watching some other fight. With two more judges it'd be able to even things out and give a more accurate decision.

i never even thought of this but its a great idea.

5 judges

Post #3   7/7/08 5:19:04PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I don't think all those things need to be take into consideration at that detail, but I do think the 10-9 system needs to be abandoned for a more, how does one say, rigorous scoring method.

What I mean is that a 3 point system needs to be in place, where a fighter has a biggere chance to score, more than one point, more than his opponenent in a round.

I think that will discourage fighters from riding the clock after 2 rounds. The 10-9 system works in boxing because there are more rounds and more chances to get ahead or come back. In MMA, you win the first two you are pretty much getting the UD unless you flub up in the third and hence we tend to see some snoozers.

So I propose a 3 point system based on ground, standup and aggression. A fighter that dominates in all three catagories will get 3 points, 2 points for two and so on. i.e. there will be three points per round available for both fighters.

One could expand it to 5 points and include takedowns and clinch work, but I think the more variables you put in, the more subjective it gets.

Post #4   7/7/08 5:21:24PM   

L-Dahab_87

Learning to Sprawl

L-Dahab_87 Avatar

Career:34-18
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Yep, i agree with you 100%. A panel of 5 judges, maybe one from each discipline, would be great for MMA. I also think judges should have more time to decide, for some reason I feel like the process is a little rushed. If the fight is close then the judges should have more time to discuss between each other.

Post #5   7/7/08 5:22:27PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
there is no unified scoring system. ufc and other american companies use the 10 point system, while orgs in japan view the fight as a whole.

needless to say, i like the way the japenese have it

Post #6   7/7/08 6:20:57PM