Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Griffin didn't do enough to take Jackson's title

Print  
How should the judges have scored it?
Draw 42 27%
Rampage 44 29%
Griffin 50 33%
At least closer 17 11%
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
Franklin McNeil is a total noob to this sport, he doesn't know enough to write articles like this.

google up his name and read some of his last articles, then read this one. Its friggin hilarious.

Post #16   7/7/08 6:55:25PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:

Posted by Porch28

How about Rampage didn't do enough to keep his title

I agree! In my eyes Forrest came in as the contender and took the champ to a decision. And people are saying he didn't do enough. He had the champ mounted for 4 minutes in the second.

Rampage came in as the champ and allowed Forrest to control what happened in the fight. Sitting back, waiting to counter when Forrest moved in. If he had Forrest rocked so many times as people say, Why didn't he finish him?

Rampage had two title defenses. Both of which going to decision. What do you think about that? Chuck never went to a decision. Randy never went to a decision. Tito never went to a decision.

If Rampage becomes champ again, maybe he better step it up a notch, so it does not go to a decision. Same goes to Forrest. For his first title defense, he needs to pick up the pace.

Post #17   7/7/08 6:56:21PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by EON

Draw... thats not enough to take the title, even winning by 1 point isnt enough, split decisions just dont happen in title fights and they shouldnt, you should have to decisivly beat the champ to take the title.

I think that you will find that winning by one point is enough. The key word being "WINNING"

If you win by one point you don't win because the other person is champ?? That makes no sense at all. Things should not be adjusted to make it easier to keep your belt. If anything they should be made harder. That is what a true champion is.

Forrest won fair and square.

Post #18   7/7/08 6:56:48PM   

xxdeadpoolxx

MMA Regular

xxdeadpoolxx Avatar

Career:890-595
Camp: Rocky Mountain Wrecking Crew
Chips:
god dam travesty

Post #19   7/7/08 7:31:08PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:

Posted by Biggee

Going into this fight i was going for neither person. I wouldnt mind forrest winning due to him being a big underdog, and i bet $12.75 cents on the fight (I won 25.50 woo hoo).

This is how i scored the fight, and i think it is a legit win, and actually gave 4 rounds to forrest. Rewatch the fight, i have watched it 4 different times since, and i agree with the judges.

Rd 1: Forrest landed 10 kicks to the left knee of rampage, he won most of the punching exchanges. Rampage rocked him in the closing minute to drop him to the ground, but rampage didnt do anything to put him out or finish the fight. You cant win a round, solely, on 1 punch. 10-9 Forrest

Rd 2: 3 kicks to the left knee, which the 1st one, is the one that hurt him. Forrest then took him to the ground, did lots of GNP, and did multiple americanas and tried for kimora. Rampage didnt do a single thing in that second round, i think he threw 2 punches, that missed. 10-8 Forrest (to be nice, ill say 10-9, but should be a 10-8)

Rd 3: Forrest landed 10 kicks to the same left knee. He also landed 4 kicks to the head area, some blocked. Forrest won most of the standup exchanges, rampage had that 1 body shot, with a couple good punching exchanges. 10-9 Forrest.

Rd 4: Forrest landed 2 more kicks to the knee, rampage won most of the standup exchanges, he took forest down (forrest was pulling guard). Rampage cut forrest pretty badly. Forrest get's rampage in triangle, but rampage slams forrest. 10-9 Rampage

Rd 5: 8 knee kicks by forrest. 2 to the head. Out of 12 exchanges of punches in this round, Forrest won 7 of them, and Rampage won 5. Forrest won the stand up and even got rampage kind of wobbly twice. At the very last seconds of the fight, forrest pulls clinch, and throws 4 knees to the body, to finish out the round. 10-9 Forrest.

At the very end of the fight, right when it was over. Rampage shook his head at forrest, as if telling him, dang man good fight but you got me.
Then whenever rampage was sitting down in his corner, his cornerman said, You won that fight. Rampage wiped his mouth and said, He won. Then Dana white comes over and tells rampage it was a close fight, and rampage starts telling him that forrest won, and rampages cornerman said "HEY HEY HEY, BEQUIET".

Honestly, if you rewatch the fight, and dont look at how hard rampages hits are, and just think about how you would judge it, if it wasnt these 2. Get the rampagecitus out of your head lol, you can clearly see that forrest won the fight.

GOOD JOB FORREST!

My thoughts exactly i scored it the exact same way except i'm not being nice about that 2nd round haha. i posted this in another forum:

Round 1: Forrest 10-9
~Forrest won the stand-up this round. The only thing Rampage did this round was rock Forrest with about 1:30 left in the round. Forrest immidiately pulled guard and recovered. He prevented a lot of damage from the bottom and eventually got back up and ended the round on his feet.
Round 2: Forrest 10-8
Round 3: Forrest 10-9
~ I just rewatched the fight and i think forrest clearly won this round because he was pushing the pace the whole round, controlled the octagon, and landed more shots.
Round 4: Rampage 10-9
Round 5: Forrest 10-9

49-45 Forrest

Post #20   7/7/08 7:33:44PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
By the way, why can't people just accept that Forrest won, and accept that it was one of the best fights so far this year. at least we can have that in common

Post #21   7/7/08 7:35:04PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
BOOO HOOO.....If Rampage wanted to keep his title then maybe he should have controlled the pace of the fight insteed of letting Forrest control the entire fight......It was a good decision in my opinion although i thought the scoring was closer then that i do believe Forrest won the fight....The only thing
Rampage did the entire fight was counter punch granted he did rock Forrest a couple times, but that is not enough to win a fight......Evan Rampage agreed he "got his ass whooped"....I was affraid he was going to try and use the knee injury as an excuse for loosing the fight, but he lost with honor which is alot more then i can say about alot of fighters.....Anyone who thinks Rampage won that fight needs to watch it again, and a draw in a five round fight is not going to happen and shouldnt happen so tuck your lip in and suck it up....

Post #22   7/7/08 7:35:23PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
This is a great thread. I honestly felt like forest won the fight, but I, probably like all of you had to wait until the anouncment cambe before I knew anything for certain. It was a close fight. I see the point that maybe forest should have had to do more to win the belt, but hell the guy won the fight. Two judgest had round two as a 10-8 round for forest. That was a huge round. But if you look at the cards there was even some disagreement between the judges between rounds 1 and 5. Even so all three gave it to forest. Forest is no chump man take away the loss to ortiz, a fight that a lot of people thought he won, and you get a loss in his first professional fight to Dan Severn who is a freakin legend and who was 30 pounds heavier than forest who was fighting at heavyweight, an ass beating by jardine where he got caught, it happens, and a loss to jeremy horn where he got dropped by a pretty nice kick. Jeremy horn isn't exactly a slump either. Forest is the real deal. Now I do think Rampage is bigger, faster, and stronger, but I don't think he fought as good of a fight Saturday. I'm happy for forest, but don't envy him in the rematch that will undoubtedly happen. Rampage will either fight the winner of the liddell rashad fight, or the winner of that fight will fight forest, and rampage will fight shogun. If he can get passed shogun, they'll give him another shot at whoever the champ is at the time. The guy is only 30 and probably has a good 6 or 7 years left. He'll be on top of the mountain again in no time. Let forest enjoy his reign.

Post #23   7/7/08 7:54:54PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
The bottom line is Rampage didn't do enough to convince the judges that he won, why should he receive some "leeway" just because he is a champion? Griffin won in the judges' eyes, and he justifiably received the spoils of war.

The key here is whether or not he can defend.

Post #24   7/7/08 8:04:37PM   

lordicast

MMA Regular

lordicast Avatar

Career:300-205
Camp: Boxing Is Dead
Chips:
I think it was a Draw, but they didnt want ppl talking crap so there like there has to a winner or somone will call shananigans!. it was way closer to a draw then Rashad vs Tito and they called that crap a draw.

Or even more conspiracy theory like i think the chinese mafia was holding rampages kids and said he better lose

Or maybe aliens came and abducted rampage and forrest fought 2 short aliens in a black man suit. which would explain the leg kicks to the bottom aliens head!

Or maybe he just lost???

Post #25   7/7/08 8:19:25PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

You could also say Rampage didn't do enough to keep his title.

Post #26   7/7/08 8:19:53PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

Franklin McNeil is a total noob to this sport, he doesn't know enough to write articles like this.

google up his name and read some of his last articles, then read this one. Its friggin hilarious.

Your right. This guy didn't even know what he was talking about. He said Rampage was in full mount in the fourth round, when he was in full guard the whole time if I remember. He said Rampage advoided damage from the guard in the second when it was actually Forrest mounted him. Plus after stating one judge had it 49-46, he said all 3 judges gave it a 10-8 in the second.

THat Being Said, I honestly think Rampage won this fight. Alot of the online MMA sites that streamed the live results scored it either a 47-47 or had Rampage winning a 48-47. I think only MMAmania.com had Forrest winning. Now, take these results with a grain of salt, Because they are basically what we all have, opinions of MMA fans.

My opinion is that Rampage won the first round, no Contest. Forrest Probably had the edge with him leg kicks until rampage cracked him with that uppercut. Both Juanito and Randy Couture said they could understand giving Rampage a 10-8, but I disagree. Forrest got back to his feet, landed a knee or two to the body, 10-9 Rampage

Second round, no contest, was Forrest. THose two leg kicks in the beginning were obviously damaging Rampage, and Forrest COntrolled The position, and had him mounted. However, I give him just a 10-9 round, even though I know many say 10-8. THe reason is, Forrest Didn't do much damage from the Mount. He landed some punches and Elbows, but Not a terribly big amount, and the ones he did weren't powerful due to Rampage doing a decent job of controlling Rampage's posture.That being said, I can understand why people would give him a 10-8, but again, Rampage prevented too much damage, 10-9 Forrest.

The Third Round was the slowest paced, Hardest to call, and probably the round that effected your decision. At this point, Rampage blocked most of Forrest's Punches, he started Checking the leg kicks and moving away to advoid them, and I think all of Forrest's Body kicks were blocked. Rampage Threw less Strikes, but Landed and a few punches, and Staggered Forrest a couple times. Forrest landed a couple shots at the end of the round, and was the agressor for most of the round, but the most Damage was done by Rampage, 10-9, Rampage, very close round.

Fouth ROund was an Easy ROund to Give to Rampage. Aside from a few kicks, Forrest didn't land anything else significant. Forrest Went for a takedown, but Rampage reversed it and Came Down on top. Landed a few shots, not as many as Forrest did in round two, but the ones that did had more impact. FOrrest Locked in a tight triangle and looked like he was gonna finish it, but Rampage Picked forrest up and was gonna powerbomb him, but forrest was smart and released the choke to advoid landing on him head and being kocked unconscious ala Ricardo arona. Rampage on top with Control, FOrest gets up, rapage Rocks him, and Rampage lands a few more SHots that rock Forrest, 10-9 rampage.

Last ROund was pretty close, but not as close as the third was. I give this one to Forrest. Again, Landing kicks and punches and moving away nicely. Rampage blocked some of these again, and Landed some hard shots again, but Forrest was the agressor and landed more in this round than in the two previous. I could see possibly Giving Rampage this round based on THe Damage he did to FOrrest's Head, but this time the number of Forrest's Strikes outnumber Rampages Quality. 10-9 Forrest.

Add it up, 48-47 Rampage. However, different Varables Come into play. I can understand giving Forrest a 10-8 in the second, I can see giving Forrest the Third,a nd I can see possibly Rampage the fifth, even tho I don't agree with any of that. Again tho, I can see why people can think Forrest won, and I can see why people think Rampage won. I can respect all opinions, except the ones of people saying "BOO-HOO, JUST ACCEPT FORREST WON"...Like I said, I can see why people could make a case for either guy, hopefully more people do too.

Either way, There's alot of scenarios for rampage's next fight, but his next couple should be rematches, whether it's Wandy, Chuck, FOrrest or SHogun, In any and every order.

Post #27   7/7/08 8:24:26PM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
rampage didn't do enough to win his title back.

Post #28   7/7/08 8:25:14PM   

xchickox

In Full Mount

xchickox Avatar

Career:594-360
Chips:
i just wanna see machida vs griffin now then we will see someone picking his opponent apart

Post #29   7/7/08 8:26:43PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
I dont think the belt should have anything to do with it. I've heard people say it was very close, but Rampage shouldn't lose his belt because Forrest didn't win in convincing fashion.

So does that mean if it was not a title fight, the decision declaring Forrest the winner would be acceptable?

I think that is the exact opposite of how it should be. If you want to be called the champ, you better leave absolutely no doubt that you won that fight, otherwise you are just lucky, and are just posing as champ, and are not the true champ.

Well....I for one would feel like a disgrace if I were the champ, and someone came up to me after the fight, and said "That was a close fight. Good thing you are the champ, otherwise the decision may have gone the other way."

Post #30   7/7/08 8:38:32PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3