Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 86 Fallout: Possible Protest, Rematch

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,705-1,497
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Although Quinton Jackson lost his UFC light heavyweight title Saturday to Forrest Griffin in a grueling 25-minute bout, his camp is ready to keep fighting.

Jackson's coach, Juanito Ibarra, plans to protest the unanimous decision with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

"We got robbed," Ibarra told Sherdog.com Sunday afternoon. "We won the majority of the fight."

Judges Adalaide Byrd and Nelson Hamilton scored the bout 48-46 for Griffin, while Roy Silbert turned in a 49-46 tally for Griffin.

It's extremely unlikely that a protest would change the outcome of the fight. Ibarra isn't hopeful in that regard, but less than 24 hours after his fighter had lost in the UFC for the first time, the coach seemed determined to learn exactly how the fight was scored.

He was baffled that Byrd and Silbert gave Griffin a 10-9 advantage in the first round, during which Jackson dropped the challenger. In Ibarra's view, the knockdown warranted a 10-8 round in Jackson's favor. He believes Jackson won the third and fourth rounds on 10-9 scores, though he said Griffin deserved a 10-8 second round and a 10-9 fifth. That comes out to a 47-46 win for Jackson.

"You have to beat the champion," Ibarra asserted more than once.

Randy Couture, a coach and training partner of Griffin, gave a slight edge to the new champion.

"I thought that it was a very, very close fight," Couture said. "I thought that it was three rounds to two [for Griffin]. I thought that Quinton did enough to win two of the rounds clearly. I thought they may have been able to give Quinton a 10-8 round in the first round with the knockdown and then the second round you could have given Forrest a 10-8 round.

"And it could have went the other way. If one or two rounds went the other way, it could have been three rounds to two for Quinton. It was that close."

Link

Post #1   7/7/08 6:52:59AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
No way was round 1 a 10-8 to jackson. Thats ridiculous. Forrest was winning that round imo until he got dropped. Juanito it just bitter, he was disrespectful about Forrest before the fight and it looks like hes going to continue that way after the fight.

Post #2   7/7/08 8:17:38AM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
Agreed. Juanito is just gutted coz he said on Countdown to UFC 86 that he would retire if Rampage lost.

By bye Juanito. Be a man of your word.

Post #3   7/7/08 8:28:32AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Ibarra comments are starting to piss me off! He should be more respectful, the decision was close but I think it was right.
Rampage will have to work his way back up and Ibarra should admit Forrest was the better man on the night. Whats the point in saying it now?!
Theirs no way the decision is getting reversed, even Rampage said he whooped his ass.
He should either retire like he said he would or give Forrest some respect.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   7/7/08 8:41:11AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Career:404-246
Chips:
He came off as a bit of a dick on the countdown show, Its pretty cocky say you will retire if Rampage loses but now this!!

I always like to think with a close decision , Who would win if it kept going without rounds/time, Back to UFC1 days. Forrest would of killed Rampage!

I think a rematch is needed, But not yet!

I wanted this fight since way before it was close to being on, But now I will be wishing for........................See Below!

Post #5   7/7/08 9:21:22AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Some people should learn to keep their mouths shut.

Post #6   7/7/08 9:30:40AM   

KYGUY07

In Full Mount

KYGUY07 Avatar

Career:896-560
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Im starting to lose alot of respect for juanito, yes it was a close fight but imo it was the right decison, if your gonna complain, maybe u should do more to finish the fight. Juanito is just mad cuz his boy lost, and Forrest was the better man on that night, im tired of everyones excuses.

Post #7   7/7/08 9:46:55AM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
Juanito needs to realize that MMA =/= boxing. Yes, in boxing if you get knocked down you lose a point on the card. That's NOT how it works in MMA no matter how much you want it to. All he knows how to do is coach boxing. He should limit his time to helping folks with their hands and keep his mouth shut.

Post #8   7/7/08 12:23:27PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Here's my view. I think forrest won the fight on the cards by my judging(even though i picked rampage to win)

first round 10-9 rampage(but one of the judges gave this first round to forrest)
second round 10-8 forrest
thrid round 10-9 forrest
fourth 10-9 rampage
fifth 10-9 forrest

but a judge gave griffin two 10-8 rounds but i only saw 1 round and that was the second.

i think rampage should get a rematch after someone else gets a crack at the title first.

Post #9   7/7/08 12:55:44PM   

joshryanshepherd

BANNED

joshryanshepherd Avatar

Career:217-147
Chips:

Posted by KYGUY07

Im starting to lose alot of respect for juanito, yes it was a close fight but imo it was the right decison, if your gonna complain, maybe u should do more to finish the fight. Juanito is just mad cuz his boy lost, and Forrest was the better man on that night, im tired of everyones excuses.

i never had respect for that big dumb bi*ch lol. but he needs to quit messin around and just get back on tn the trail back to the title...

Fox Hound- The Patriots of the Playground!

#1 in points-1st season
#1 in points- 2nd season
#1 in points- 3rd season
#1 in points- 4th season
#1 in points- 5th season

aswell as #1 in Wagers and the entire Secondary league...

Post #10   7/7/08 1:54:36PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Here's my view. I think forrest won the fight on the cards by my judging(even though i picked rampage to win)

first round 10-9 rampage(but one of the judges gave this first round to forrest)
second round 10-8 forrest
thrid round 10-9 forrest
fourth 10-9 rampage
fifth 10-9 forrest

but a judge gave griffin two 10-8 rounds but i only saw 1 round and that was the second.

i think rampage should get a rematch after someone else gets a crack at the title first.

I have it the exact same way, but I can also see how Forrest won round 1. not saying he did, but he was winning until he got dropped.

I see a rematch, but i have no clue why people are saying rampage won. If so, show me how? i watch the fight about 9-10 times, and did somewhat of my own fight matrix, and Forrest wins in every situation. If this was Pride where u judge the whole fight, Forrest still wins.

Post #11   7/7/08 1:57:45PM