Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

WAMMA Heavyweight Belt Completed, To Be Awarded At Affliction

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Designers have completed the heavyweight championship belt commissioned by the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts for its first-ever title fight. The belt-which features cooper, gold, diamonds, leather and fur-will be wrapped around the waist of either Fedor Emelianenko or Tim Sylvia. The heavyweights meet at July 19's "Affliction: Banned" event in a five-round WAMMA title fight.
Total production time: 150 hours.

Article

Post #1   7/5/08 7:08:17AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
I don't know is they meant to say copper instead of cooper, if cooper is some kind of precious metal I've never heard of it.

Post #2   7/5/08 7:11:01AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Rather than the usual medals, Najjar went with the more-expensive cooper, which underwent 72 hours of waxing and polishing to give it the desired gold look. The plates were then dipped with 18k gold. Right before hand painting the belt's five medallions, more than 500 diamonds were hand set. All the pieces were put into a black leather belt and backed with fur.

Ummm, I'm not a metals guy, but why would you opt for the "more expensive" copper only to dip it in 18k gold? If all you were going to do is dip the damn thing, couldn't you just as easily use a cheaper metal?

BTW- let's just say for the sake of argument that Fedor loses somehow. Can you imagine Timmay as the undisputed World Heavyweight Champion?!

I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit...ok, I'm better now

Post #3   7/5/08 8:06:14AM   

matt_black

MMA Regular

matt_black Avatar

Career:467-269
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

BTW- let's just say for the sake of argument that Fedor loses somehow. Can you imagine Timmay as the undisputed World Heavyweight Champion?!

And then have to fight arlovski for the fourth time....

Post #4   7/5/08 8:39:07AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
Timmay is in love with it already

Posted by bojangalz

LOL at somehow, what by Tim beating him fair and square? In that case he would be the deserved champion so I dont get that. I know he isnt the most exciting fighter but imo ppl take it too far and make out he isnt that skilled when he has the perfect skillset and gameplan to beat most HW's, its why he is ranked top 5 in most rankings

Seriously tho lets hope not cos i think we all desperately want Barneyy VS Fedor, way more than Randy imo

Last edited 7/5/08 9:18AM server time by CornishMMA
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #5   7/5/08 9:01:38AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Career:404-246
Chips:
I dont dig it too much, But lucky for me, I will never fight for it!

War Timmay

Post #6   7/5/08 10:14:46AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Rather than the usual medals, Najjar went with the more-expensive cooper, which underwent 72 hours of waxing and polishing to give it the desired gold look. The plates were then dipped with 18k gold. Right before hand painting the belt's five medallions, more than 500 diamonds were hand set. All the pieces were put into a black leather belt and backed with fur.

Ummm, I'm not a metals guy, but why would you opt for the "more expensive" copper only to dip it in 18k gold? If all you were going to do is dip the damn thing, couldn't you just as easily use a cheaper metal?

First of all, the person that wrote the article has ppor English. It should be metals and copper, not medals and cooper.

To fully comment on why they might have used copper, I would need to know what they normall use. However, there are a few reasons why copper was used. 1) It is a pretty workable metal which would make it ideal for fine detailing. 2) Certain metals stick better to other metals when plating. 3) Copper may be heavier or lighter than the other typical metals which, depending on the effect desired by the artist, is why it was chosen. 4) It might be similar to buying a diamond with fewer inclusions. You can't see the inclusions unless you have a magnifying glass, but the owner knows it is a diamond of higher quality. The analogous idea might apply here too.

Post #7   7/5/08 10:26:42AM   

Vote4Fedro

banned

Career:4-5
Chips:
What a joke, Sam Caplan is one of the worst MMA journalists.

Post #8   7/5/08 12:26:57PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
So does this mean the former champion doesn;t keep the belt? UFC champs get a belt for each title fight but from what it looks like here, The belt is given to the new champion rather than the new champ getting a new belt altogether. Anyways, unless this is like going to be Afflictions Heavyweight title, I think the idea of this is so stupid

Post #9   7/5/08 12:31:23PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Ugly.

Post #10   7/5/08 12:50:35PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,759-1,532
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by matt_black

Posted by bojangalz

And then have to fight arlovski for the fourth time....

Hopefully he would fight Barnett first.

Post #11   7/5/08 2:53:29PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
that is the ugliest belt i've ever seen in mma. they should completely redesign it. I would actually prefer wearing the WEC belt. eww that thing looks like an amateur cartoonist designed it.

Post #12   7/5/08 4:02:24PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I could give a what about how pretty belts are ??

I don't think there is anything odd about a WAMMA belt. There are IBF, WBC, etc... Right now one promotion with its own in house fighters who never fight outside of their promotion and who do not negotiate their own matches fight and receive a belt. How is that any better than a non promotion belt?

Right now the UFC belt is no different than the "Don King championship of the world" belt. It's just something one promotional company gives to its inhouse fighters.

Post #13   7/6/08 2:59:52AM   

Figsak

Barred From Forum

Figsak Avatar

Career:189-106
Chips:
Ya, but screw that. I think we need to cut that monster off at the knees before MMA gets dragged right down that same ugly path.

We don't need 15 weight classes, and it cheapens the sport when every asshole and his mother can just find an organization with a easy to obtain belt and go get it. If Sylvia can't get the Affliction belt, he can go over to another organization and try again, and so on.

Then at what point is it too much? when every 10th fighter has a belt?

I think we need to recognize whats happening here and choose a different gameplan than boxing. We need to recognize that MMA is not boxing, and we need to stop building MMA on the template of boxing.

The future I envision is one more in the mold of Baseball.

A.) 1 sport, 1-2 major league venues, 2-3 minor leagues working in unison with the unified major leagues to mold new fighters, and give a place for the slipping seasoned vets to go to work their way back into the big show. (Yes I mean a monopoly, but it's better for the sport to have 1 solid league that is considered THE sport so when ppl want to watch a good fight, they know where to turn just like baseball, football, and basketball.)

B.) I'd also like to see the IFL formula of fight camps and teams examined and possible rehauled and implimented in a better way. Then we could have fight camps to root for and not just Ronin fighters. This would also bring the possibility of Franchizes and yes DRAFTS!! Who here wouldn't want a fantasy draft?!

Post #14   7/6/08 12:45:40PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
I don't dislike the idea of 'camps' and "teams' but it is truly an individual sport. The difference here is that the "league" would be a governing body that wouldn't set all of the match ups and championships. The UFC is built on the WWE model since the organization decides who to promote, who to match up, and who gets to fight for championships. There is no ranking system independent of the organization and there is no governing body outside of the organization calling for fihts between the next in line. So basically the only way to get championship fights is to be in the good graces of the ownership to get the fights.

I'm not sure your reasoning for disliking the other "championship belt" since ultimately if the UFC belt is nothing more than an organizational belt. That's in hte mold of an MLS team winning a championship for MLS and then claiming it is the world champion. There is a WORLD stage for world championships built into soccer called World Cup and it makes 1 billion in revenue in just tv advertisements---not including gate, merch, etc... and that's for only one month of games.

A smarter system would be to have different organzations recognize that they have their own organizational belts and then every 2-3 years have the top fighters fight each other. They would be mega fights and generate revenue in advertisements, etc... The idea that UFC will monopilize a sport that is growing so fast doesn't make sense. Competition is ALWAYS good---it's the reason we like sports in the first place.

Post #15   7/6/08 6:18:01PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2