Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Healthy but Delicous.

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

RSH

Learning to Sprawl

Career:22-16
Chips:
Ok, well, this topic is basically made to see what you all eat for your meals everyday. I have been trying to stay good to my diet so far with working out. I was eating oats and wheat toast for breakfast, 6 inch chicken breast sub from subway for lunch, and normally salad at night with fruit and granolla bars inbetween every meal. But I have found myself straying farther away from my diet, like tonight I ate spaghetti at dinner, 2 slices of pizza and choclate milk at like 2 a.m. Had hot wings yesterday and chinese the day before. I was doing good for about two weeks untill I guess I became bored with the foods I was eating..

Just wanted you all to post some recipes for things you eat that would be good for me still that would spice things up, I just can't eat the same things over and over. xD Much appreciated.

Post #1   7/3/08 4:50:54AM   

drunkel

MMA Regular

drunkel Avatar

Career:1,268-974
Camp: 7poundbag
Chips:
Beer,it comes in can and bottle form and has been known to be delicious.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #2   7/3/08 8:18:23AM   

HMA123

MMA Regular

HMA123 Avatar

Career:60-44
Chips:
Some snacks stuff you can have.

turkery on wheat, lowfat peanutbutter n J on wheat (add some wheat germ)..
colors over noncolor
brown over white rice
wheat over white
simple stuff like that..

Little protein recipe for ya..
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar-free peanut butter
4 scoops (or 1 and 1/3 cups) whey protein powder - most are low in carbs, but check - any flavor
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Artificial sweetener to taste, about 1-1½ cup (some protein powders have sweeteners as well)
Preparation:Put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix all at once. A mixer works great for this, but a food processor would probably be fine as well, or just a spoon. Then roll into balls. If you like, roll in crushed nuts. I've mixed almond meal with powdered erythritol and that worked well as a coating.

Pasta really isnt that bad, its high in carbs but if your active then its good.
Believe it or not popcorn is a low calorie snack, you have to be smart and not get the "movies buttery kind" .
Get alot of fruit, bananas,apple,an a orange is great, put it all in a blender, add a little bit of water, and you have a natural high energy snack.
I wana say cottage cheese is good, but i think it has alot of calories. But high in protein. Tuna is great.
yogurt,almonds,fruit,granola bars, are all good snacks.

Anything else, just ask

Post #3   7/3/08 2:52:47PM   

beerman77

Banned

beerman77 Avatar

Career:374-225
Chips:
yes and their is a pork chop in every can. lots of protein

Post #4   7/4/08 2:14:46PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I have a quick tip and will post some recipes later.

My quick tip is to use fresh ingredients. Stay away from canned ingredients (full of sugar and salt), store bought mixes and stocks, etc.

Post #5   7/4/08 8:24:11PM   

RSH

Learning to Sprawl

Career:22-16
Chips:
The protein balls thing..I just mix them and eat it like that? Sounds, I dunno.

I'm waiting for your recipes Rush. :P

Post #6   7/7/08 2:02:31PM   

HMA123

MMA Regular

HMA123 Avatar

Career:60-44
Chips:
you mix them then you put the in the freezer or fridge for like a half hour or hour for best results. Bur honestly i meen you can eat them right away, but i dont no if they will taste that good.

Post #7   7/7/08 2:11:17PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:
another thing you can substitute for granola is rice crispy treats. believe it or not but in 1 granola bar there is as much fat as 3 rice crispy treats. and home-made rice crispy treats are even better than the store bought because of the lack of preservatives.

heres the nutrient facts:

rice crispy treats

granola bars

Last edited 7/7/08 2:42PM server time by papercut
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   7/7/08 2:41:18PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by RSH

Ok, well, this topic is basically made to see what you all eat for your meals everyday. I have been trying to stay good to my diet so far with working out. I was eating oats and wheat toast for breakfast, 6 inch chicken breast sub from subway for lunch, and normally salad at night with fruit and granolla bars inbetween every meal. But I have found myself straying farther away from my diet, like tonight I ate spaghetti at dinner, 2 slices of pizza and choclate milk at like 2 a.m. Had hot wings yesterday and chinese the day before. I was doing good for about two weeks untill I guess I became bored with the foods I was eating..

Just wanted you all to post some recipes for things you eat that would be good for me still that would spice things up, I just can't eat the same things over and over. xD Much appreciated.

part of the problem is your oin ly eating 3 times a day.. keep eating the same types of food but eat about every 3 hours you will find your night cravings will diminish... ... make your goal 5-6 meals a day depending on how long you are awake for. . but your last meal should be at least 2 hours before bed..

Post #9   7/7/08 3:49:05PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
I want to make a comment about the 5-6 meals a day thing.

I've done this and I think it can help you lose weight to an extent. It is also healthier because it is generally not good for your body (overall, but mainly for digestion) to stuff yourself.

However, I found one of the problems with the 5-6 meals a day is that I was always hungry. If I was in a position to eat more food at a given sitting (ie. if I went out for the weekend and ate at restaurants) I found that I was eating 5 big meals rather than small meals. My appetite would get out of control.

Another thing I found was because my meals were small, I found it difficult to get a balanced meal. i.e. it's not easy to get a carb, meat and fruit/veggie into one little meal and still have variety to keep your sanity.

So the 5-6 meals a day thing is great, but it can be easy (IMO) to slip to the dark side and you might end up eating more on some days.

I have more recipes, but I'll start with a simple pasta one to get you guys rolling

Pasta d'olio

Take some spicy sausage and remove the meat from the casings. Fry it up (break it up into bits in the pan) with a bit of olive oil. I usually use one sausage for two servings (I typically make 5-6 servings at a time)

Cut up at least two of your favorite veggies. I put lots of veggies in my pasta. My faves are brussel sprouts, spinach and celery, but I also have used asparagus. Feel free to use whatever you want, but I find that if you put more than two veggies (or fruits) in the pasta it kind of takes away the distinct flavours of each component.

Fry up the veggies with the meat, a bit more olive oil, lots of freshly minced garlic (I do my own in large quantities), basil, parsley, oregano and dried chili peppers. *note that some veggies like the brussel sprouts should be boiled prior to frying them. Otherwise they will not cook thoroughly.

Boil your favorite pasta to. I use either bow tie, fusilli or penne noodles because they mix better than long noodles. I only use whole wheat pasta.

Drain you noodles and mix them with the meat, veggies and spices. Make sure the noodles are coated with the oil and spices evenly.

Serve with some parm cheese if you want.

variations and notes.
**If you like seafood, replace the oil with mussel broth (made by boiling mussels in water until the water turns white). Add shrimp and mussel meat instead of sausage.
**I usually have about as much veggies and meat (together) as noodles so I don't just fill up on carbs.
**you don't need to add meat at all. Sometimes I just use the veggies. I found that chicken and beef didn't go well.
**olive oil is good for you and better than a sauce that is packed with salt and sugar. Canola oil can replace olive oil, but it doesn't work as well IMO.

I have more, stay tuned

Post #10   7/7/08 4:20:23PM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
I make my wife cook for me........

"I'm the King of the Castle"

Post #11   7/8/08 8:36:42PM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Some really good snacks, are stawberries, blueberries, green beans in a bag(are really good), tuna on wheat, you no thinks that aren't high in fat, or sugar, and they all taste good

Post #12   7/15/08 1:00:27PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
is there anything that isnt to bad for you late at night? no matter what I eat during the day I always get hungry at night. and sometimes its to the point that i cant sleep. I know eating at night isnt good for you because thats when your the least active and i think the metabolism is the slowest, but what is ok to eat late?

Post #13   7/16/08 3:31:52AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

is there anything that isnt to bad for you late at night? no matter what I eat during the day I always get hungry at night. and sometimes its to the point that i cant sleep. I know eating at night isnt good for you because thats when your the least active and i think the metabolism is the slowest, but what is ok to eat late?

I found a bit of yogurt settled my stomach enough to get to sleep.

Post #14   7/16/08 11:02:16AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I want to make a comment about the 5-6 meals a day thing.

I've done this and I think it can help you lose weight to an extent. It is also healthier because it is generally not good for your body (overall, but mainly for digestion) to stuff yourself.

However, I found one of the problems with the 5-6 meals a day is that I was always hungry. If I was in a position to eat more food at a given sitting (ie. if I went out for the weekend and ate at restaurants) I found that I was eating 5 big meals rather than small meals. My appetite would get out of control.

Another thing I found was because my meals were small, I found it difficult to get a balanced meal. i.e. it's not easy to get a carb, meat and fruit/veggie into one little meal and still have variety to keep your sanity.

So the 5-6 meals a day thing is great, but it can be easy (IMO) to slip to the dark side and you might end up eating more on some days.

I have more recipes, but I'll start with a simple pasta one to get you guys rolling

Pasta d'olio

Take some spicy sausage and remove the meat from the casings. Fry it up (break it up into bits in the pan) with a bit of olive oil. I usually use one sausage for two servings (I typically make 5-6 servings at a time)

Cut up at least two of your favorite veggies. I put lots of veggies in my pasta. My faves are brussel sprouts, spinach and celery, but I also have used asparagus. Feel free to use whatever you want, but I find that if you put more than two veggies (or fruits) in the pasta it kind of takes away the distinct flavours of each component.

Fry up the veggies with the meat, a bit more olive oil, lots of freshly minced garlic (I do my own in large quantities), basil, parsley, oregano and dried chili peppers. *note that some veggies like the brussel sprouts should be boiled prior to frying them. Otherwise they will not cook thoroughly.

Boil your favorite pasta to. I use either bow tie, fusilli or penne noodles because they mix better than long noodles. I only use whole wheat pasta.

Drain you noodles and mix them with the meat, veggies and spices. Make sure the noodles are coated with the oil and spices evenly.

Serve with some parm cheese if you want.

variations and notes.
**If you like seafood, replace the oil with mussel broth (made by boiling mussels in water until the water turns white). Add shrimp and mussel meat instead of sausage.
**I usually have about as much veggies and meat (together) as noodles so I don't just fill up on carbs.
**you don't need to add meat at all. Sometimes I just use the veggies. I found that chicken and beef didn't go well.
**olive oil is good for you and better than a sauce that is packed with salt and sugar. Canola oil can replace olive oil, but it doesn't work as well IMO.

I have more, stay tuned

Yes I know what you mean on this.. I used the food guides out of the Body for ife program and he gives tips for healthy cheating.. for instance.. fruits and veggies.. if your still hungry eat more of them... as for the carbs and protien.. use your hand size as a guide line.. neither should be bigger then your hand or fist in size.. though the veggies are good as long as they are cooked properly..

As a former dietician in the Navy and a chef I have lists of healthy recipies I can get for people soon as my home PC is back up and running... the last week or two I have been on at work...

Post #15   7/16/08 12:40:38PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3