Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Info on Pride's LWGP????

Print  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Just wondering if anyone has any info...

I heard the opening round was going to be in April or May, and was just wondering if anyone had some solid info??

Hopefully a thread like this will get 'pinned' more sooner than later so it will be easier to check for new info (Help? Mods??)

Thanks guys

Post #1   2/28/07 1:50:27PM   

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy

SteedTheDeed Avatar

Career:786-501
Chips:
gomi will probably get a first round bye and joachim hansen is gonna win it all.

Post #2   2/28/07 6:56:35PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by SteedTheDeed

gomi will probably get a first round bye and joachim hansen is gonna win it all.

Hmm it'll be hard for him to beat Sakurai honestly, but I wouldn't be suprised if Hansen got far in the GP since hes such a talented fighter.

I see Sakurai taking it. From brutal leg kicks to quick submissions/takedowns Hayato is a monster and I think the final fight would be him vs Gomi II or him vs Diaz..

Post #3   2/28/07 7:06:02PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,975-1,117
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Diaz probably won't be in it, due to injury and his previous contract with EliteXC. If they were smart they wouls also leave Gomi out of it IMO. I think tournaments should be to decide a title shot, and Gomi already has 2 losses in non-title matches in the last year. Dealuing his belt furhter would be a bad idea to me. So many Fighter's from other orgs. particpate in this it's hard to call. Melendez, Mach, kawajiri, and Aoki would be the favorites IMO. I have to wait and see if they are in it and what brackets they put up before I would start picking real favorites though.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #4   2/28/07 7:25:11PM   

EEKS

MMA Regular

EEKS Avatar

Career:182-110
Camp: Chicago Top Team
Chips:
i was hoping Diaz would be in it, but infortunatly he most likely wont be in it, but i think the man to beat in the tournament will be Sakurai.

Post #5   3/1/07 7:08:32AM   

Dadaman

MMA Regular

Dadaman Avatar

Career:61-42
Chips:
This GP will set a precedent in terms of the sheer skill level of all the fighters participating. This is going to be an incredible year for the lightweights!

Don't be surprised if the first round of the LWGP exceeds Pride 33.

WAR MELENDEZ! WAR MACH!

Post #6   3/1/07 7:56:34AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Diaz probably won't be in it, due to injury and his previous contract with EliteXC. If they were smart they wouls also leave Gomi out of it IMO. I think tournaments should be to decide a title shot, and Gomi already has 2 losses in non-title matches in the last year. Dealuing his belt furhter would be a bad idea to me. So many Fighter's from other orgs. particpate in this it's hard to call. Melendez, Mach, kawajiri, and Aoki would be the favorites IMO. I have to wait and see if they are in it and what brackets they put up before I would start picking real favorites though.

Good point all around...

I especially agree with the tournament winners should = #1 contender, and that Pride shouldn't allow the LW belt to lose any more luster by another 'non-title loss'

Post #7   3/1/07 12:40:07PM   

ElGuapo31

Learning to Sprawl

ElGuapo31 Avatar

Career:97-60
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
the only fair thing to do would be to vacate gomi's title and put it up for grabs inthe GP...i mean the guy has lost 2 out of 3 in his weight class...it would make the tourney that much more intense...imo sakurai and aoki have great shots to win...if gomi doesnt get focused

Post #8   3/1/07 8:05:31PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Does anyone know how old Sakurai is?
I mean he's been around a while and to me it seems he's still improving. If he doesn't respect Gomi too much as in their first bout I think Sakurai could win it all.
Hansen and Melendez got good chances too but they're just so small compared to Sakurai.

Post #9   3/1/07 8:47:29PM