Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Pedro Rizzo: "If I Beat Barnett I Will Be Top 10 Again"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,899-1,095
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Considered one of the greatest heavyweights of all time at the MMA, Pedro Rizzo went through a bad phase and now is fighting again to be among the 10 best heavyweights in the world. His chance to return to the top will be on July 19, when he will face the fourth fighter of the world at the weight, Josh Barnett, at the event Affliction. To make it happen, the athlete is training heavy and received in the last week the help of his teacher, Marco Ruas, who was in visiting his family. Below an exclusive interview with Pedro Rizzo, who talks about his training and hopes at the new American event.

LINK

Post #1   6/28/08 10:17:41AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
He probably would be in the top ten again, but he's just not the same fighter anymore. Barnett is too much for him at this point in his career.

Post #2   6/28/08 10:31:34AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,040-1,148
Chips:
First of all, that's a HUGE "if", and secondly... no you won't

Post #3   6/28/08 10:49:59AM   

gravy13

Standup Guy

gravy13 Avatar

Career:347-224
Chips:
Yeah, I don't know about that. Barnett is a totally different fighter from the first time they fought, he's way better. I don't think Rizzo will take this, but if Rizzo beats him I don't think he should be top ten.

Post #4   6/28/08 12:32:21PM   

Figsak

Barred From Forum

Figsak Avatar

Career:189-106
Chips:
Horse Sh*t. Anyone who ranks a fighter top 10 after winning 1 fight is nuts, no matter how good the guy you beat is.

Post #5   6/28/08 12:55:47PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

why not?

i think that if he beats Barnett he would be top 10. all bias aside i think that a win over Barnett would i n fact put him over. the fact is, there isn't a lot of top 10 level talent at HW and with a lot of the fighters holding wins over each other and a lot of the top HW facing poor competition, a win over Barnett should put him at the 10 spot imho.

Post #6   6/28/08 12:59:11PM   

89vision

In Full Mount

Career:98-46
Chips:
Rizzo is an old school hero of mine, i wish him the best

Post #7   6/28/08 2:41:54PM   

Figsak

Barred From Forum

Figsak Avatar

Career:189-106
Chips:
Ditto, the upside is also that he's not even that old! He went pro at 22, and was a MMA legend by the age of 26. You look at his record and you think the mans 45 or something, he's only 34. He still has some good fighting years left in him.

Can't wait to see them either.

UUuuuunnfortunately ;) I'm a Barnett nut-hugger. My favorite fighter.

He has a loss to Rizzo already, but that was 7yrs ago. If Barnett can avoid the world class leg kicks, and drag Rizzo to the ground, I think he will get a round 2-3 Sub. Very very dangerous fight for Barny though. I'm gonna close my eyes and cross my fingers on that 1.

Post #8   6/28/08 3:19:36PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,903-1,083
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

why not?

i think that if he beats Barnett he would be top 10. all bias aside i think that a win over Barnett would i n fact put him over. the fact is, there isn't a lot of top 10 level talent at HW and with a lot of the fighters holding wins over each other and a lot of the top HW facing poor competition, a win over Barnett should put him at the 10 spot imho.

I agree. Rizzo's wins over Eilers and Munson along with a win over Barnett would have me putting him in the top ten. Judging him on his last fight, he still has some gas in the tank and I could see him doing better than people expect, both in this fight and future ones.

Post #9   6/28/08 3:26:52PM   

lordicast

MMA Regular

lordicast Avatar

Career:300-205
Camp: Boxing Is Dead
Chips:
this fight will be over in 2 Min barrnet by KO; On a side note i want fedor to stop ducking Barrnet and fight him. Call me crazy but i want to see that fight more then fedor vs couture!

Post #10   6/28/08 4:31:01PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Based on last 3 fights I would IF: He beats Barnett up badly and gets a ko. Other alternatives are maybes but there isn't a lot of talent in HW right now. Rizzo may show better than we all think and MAY be able to put up a good fight against anyone.

On the Fedor Barnett thing, I don't think either one is ducking the fight, as friends they dont' WANT to get in the ring together. They've both said they're willing to for a belt or something. IF they both win or both lose it's prob'ly in the works for the next Affliction.

Post #11   6/28/08 4:49:41PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by 89vision

Same here.

Posted by lordicast

this fight will be over in 2 Min barrnet by KO;

Do Rizzo's two fights in Pride hold a lot of weight with you?

I'm going with Barney by UD. Pedro has never been subbed before and Barnett doesn't have a long track record of T(KO)'s. However, Barnett is the all round better fighter at this point, imo. Of course anything can happen, but I got Josh by UD.

If Pedro does get the win, I'd have him in the lower half of the top 10. It's a tight race for the last couple of spots in the HW division, and consecutive wins over quality opponents such as Jeff Monson and Josh Barnett would get him a legitimate place there.

Post #12   6/28/08 7:23:41PM   

lordicast

MMA Regular

lordicast Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gspfan

Posted by 89vision

Same here.

Posted by lordicast

this fight will be over in 2 Min barrnet by KO;

Do Rizzo's two fights in Pride hold a lot of weight with you?

I'm going with Barney by UD. Pedro has never been subbed before and Barnett doesn't have a long track record of T(KO)'s. However, Barnett is the all round better fighter at this point, imo. Of course anything can happen, but I got Josh by UD.

If Pedro does get the win, I'd have him in the lower half of the top 10. It's a tight race for the last couple of spots in the HW division, and consecutive wins over quality opponents such as Jeff Monson and Josh Barnett would get him a legitimate place there.

I saw the pride fights

Loss Roman Zentsov KO (Punch)
Loss Sergei Kharitonov TKO (Strikes)

Not 2 impressive

Edit; i cant watch AOW - Art of War so i dont know how he looks now

Last edited 6/28/08 7:41PM server time by Lordicast
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   6/28/08 7:40:31PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by lordicast
I saw the pride fights

Not 2 impressive

Well, that's my point. If those are the only, or last fights you've seen of him, then I think I have a good idea of why you think the fight will go the way you claim it will.

Post #14   6/28/08 7:50:02PM   

lordicast

MMA Regular

lordicast Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gspfan

Posted by lordicast
I saw the pride fights

Not 2 impressive

Well, that's my point. If those are the only, or last fights you've seen of him, then I think I have a good idea of why you think the fight will go the way you claim it will.

Well no i saw all his fights in the UFC aswell and towards the end helooked like a striker being phased out of mma. personally i like the rock but josh barrnett is to big of a task at this time

Post #15   6/28/08 8:12:42PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2