Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jake Shields targets Nick Thompson for EliteXC title fight

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
EliteXC's first-ever welterweight champion will be determined in July, when the organization returns to the CBS airwaves. Veterans Jake Shields (20-4-1) and Nick Thompson (36-9-1), each riding impressive win streaks, will square off for the belt.

Shields can't wait.

After all, he hand picked his opponent.

Shields discussed the events leading up to the bout on a recent edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

"I'm really excited about this fight," Shields said. "I think we're both, me and Nick, right at the top of our group. We're both on a huge win streak. This is the fight I asked for."

The title fight takes place July 19 at the Stockton Arena in Stockton, Calif. Shields expected to fight on the nationally televised event, but he didn't initially expect Thompson to be his opponent.

Shields had long been planning to face UFC veteran Drew Fickett for the belt. Strangely, however, Fickett pulled out of a scheduled June date with Shields due to injury, only to compete in a smaller organization around the same time.

"It's kind of weird," Shields said. "I don't know what happened. I know I was supposed to fight him on the 14th (of June), and on the 7th he fought someone else. I think it was (a) really easy (fight) on the 7th. ... Obviously it was a stupid move. I don't know what he was thinking. That EliteXC would just be like, 'no big deal?' Obviously they weren't happy if they dropped his contract."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   6/28/08 9:37:10AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
should be a great match jake ain't gonna run through the goat that easy

Post #2   6/28/08 12:14:22PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:
The goat is a tough tough matchup for Shields. This is Shields biggest test in awhile, he hasn't fought someone like Thompson for a good year.

I'm excited Shaw got a tough guy to fight Shields, I can't wait to see this fight. The Goat has a good chance to upset us. He has been really active and has looked pretty damn good.

Post #3   6/28/08 5:44:43PM   

Figsak

Barred From Forum

Figsak Avatar

Career:189-106
Chips:
Active yes, but he hasn't fought any top competition since Alvarez about a year ago. He did look really good against Alvarez though who is a REALLY good fighter. Alvarez had a problem with Nick's reach.

Post #4   6/28/08 9:30:01PM