Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Why Did Kimbo Choose MMA Over Boxing?

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
Kimbo would be destroyed by a medium to top level MMA fighter just as he would against a medium to top level boxer. Link

Post #1   6/28/08 12:51:48AM   

Ben_Hutch

Banned

Career:282-168
Chips:
He chose MMA because he can be shit, and stil get a ridiculous amount of money, unlike boxing.

Post #2   6/28/08 12:56:08AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If you look at his stand up it's actually pretty sloppy....he's got an outstanding overhand....lot's of power....but horrible foot work and head movement. Those two things are much more key in a boxing match than with MMA.

Post #3   6/28/08 1:07:06AM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
I personally think he went with mma because of the gloves.

Im not sure how good those hands would be with the 10 lbs on

Post #4   6/28/08 1:14:05AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Agreed, boxing is a new level of striker. Streetfighting only showed that he had great attributes and SOME boxing fundamentals.

He has good head movement and power but is a little immobile, comes straight foreward, and swings wide.

In MMA (HEEAVYYWEIIGHTT) you can get away with being a poor striker but he needs a solid ground game.

Post #5   6/28/08 2:37:21AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Agreed, boxing is a new level of striker. Streetfighting only showed that he had great attributes and SOME boxing fundamentals.

He has good head movement and power but is a little immobile, comes straight foreward, and swings wide.

In MMA (HEEAVYYWEIIGHTT) you can get away with being a poor striker but he needs a solid ground game.

Sadly thoguh I think kimbo is still 2-3 years away from having a solid ground game...

Post #6   6/28/08 3:11:14AM   

Raykill

TAKING A BREAK

Raykill Avatar

Career:289-247
Chips:

Posted by The-Don

Posted by seanfu

Sadly thoguh I think kimbo is still 2-3 years away from having a solid ground game...

I don’t think it’s going to matter. I don’t see Kimbo in this sport 2-3 years from now. Gary will use him like he’s doing right now to create momentum for his show and then drop him when he starts rolling. I don’t think he will be picked up by another organization after that.

But what do I know? I thought you died from pop rocks and soda. I looked pretty stupid when the combination didn’t work on my ex-wife.

Post #7   6/28/08 4:04:19AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well Kimbo's stand up is fair at best. I don't even think he could win Golden Gloves level boxing matches more less pro. I also think his power is more of a myth than anything. TKOing Tank and JT (JT really doesnt count because JT won that fight the Ref just gave it to Kimbo) isn't saying much and if you watch his youtube stuff you will see he really didn't knock anyone out there either. I'm not really sure why he chose MMA maybe because of the fact its easy to get big money without a lot of work. Also it doesn't take really any fights to become pro and MMA is the big thing right now. Also my guess would be no one want to promote him real heave in boxing because you cant make big money in boxing having someone fight cans unless your name is Tyson. I have been out of training for 2 years and I think with 7 weeks training I could beat Kimbo. But I don't really blame Kimbo he knows he needs a lot of work and he is just in it for the money its mainly the Shaw's that are making Kimbo out to be more than he is. It also doesn't help that most of the press is playing right along with. Like SI putting Kimbo on the cover when the fact is he isn't even a mid level MMA fighter.

Last edited 6/28/08 6:23AM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   6/28/08 6:19:26AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Because MMA is more fun.

Post #9   6/28/08 8:26:33AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
Some good points above... But I actually do see Kimbo around in a fewa years.. with Elite XC or any of the bigger groups... NO... But he will putter around a few years I think in some of the smaller shows around the country and the world.. Unless his skills inprove dramaticly he'll fade away fighting the occasional freak fight like if he steps into teh ring with Butterbean or guys like that... we'll hear of it... Persoanlly I think training with BAs is not good for him.. Nothing against Bas as a trainer.. but it seems like to me he is being coddeled there and treated like he is a top teir guy... he needs to get his own prespective on how good he is really not and train in a gym where people hold some contempt for him and realize that he has ALOT to learn still.. and that might make him train harder to earn the respect of those around him... He seems like a nice guy... I feel bad for him he is being USED this way... but if wants to be thought of as a top teir guy he needs to train differently and then start fighting guys who can beat him.. big deal if he gets few losses.. he'll learn from them.. JT was supposed to roll over for him the 1st round which is why he was picked and we saw how that turned out... I wonder what Kimbo really thinks and not what he is told to think...

Post #10   6/28/08 1:29:19PM   

dust

Banned

Career:453-247
Chips:

Posted by The-Don

Posted by seanfu

He'll never have a ground game. People like Pete Spratt have been training for many years and still suck against good competition.

Post #11   6/28/08 2:20:09PM   

Figsak

Barred From Forum

Figsak Avatar

Career:189-106
Chips:
Possibly.

Some ppl are just naturally good at some things, like throwing a punch, or wreslting, and some ppl will never be good at certain things no matter how much ppl school them, like math, or talking to girls.

Post #12   6/28/08 3:12:09PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

10lbs? noone throws w/ 10lbs... 16oz maybe

Post #13   6/28/08 4:56:31PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

10lbs? noone throws w/ 10lbs... 16oz maybe

I mean to say 10 oz. Thats what they use in pro boxing matches, not 16 oz

Last edited 6/29/08 1:01AM server time by sam_rothstein
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #14   6/29/08 12:50:07AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Actually I don't think Kimbo's footwork is bad. His head movement isn't bad either. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. Heavyweights are notoriously bad about "footwork" and even great heavyweights can be plodding. THe issue is in footwork is defensive, balance for combinations, and step offs to the side. He does all of those things and I can think of at least 20 heavyweights that don't. He doesn't throw "wide" shots, in fact he throws a lot of body shots and over hand rights. I've seen him throw left hooks but that doesn't make him "wide". Most of his punches are actually what you would call "short" in boxing. He throws uppercuts, right crosses, overhand rights, and fights between the shoulders and pulls his hands back. Are you guys watching the same fights or just making stuff up?

He can get a bigger name quicker in MMA that's why he took it. It's also why it was offered. In boxing, there is a lot more to wade through. Of course, if he can make a big enough legit name in mma (mid level competition) then he can switch over to boxing too and make money. I mean if someone came to you and said, hey you can make money on showtime right now or you can work your way up through 'ballroom boxing' to espn shows which one will you take? He is the MMA butterbean, but let's not forget---butterbean can be very fun to watch. ;)

Post #15   6/29/08 3:33:08PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3