Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Coach says Wanderlei is adapting

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

MMAWeekly: How do you see Wanderlei’s last fight against Keith Jardine?

Rafael Alejarra: We know we were coming from negative results (against Chuck Liddell), but we are always in evolution, not only technically, but also the cardio-resistance. But some of our results don’t depend only on those factors. In Wanderlei’s last fight he was more adapted with the new changes, with the rules, training sessions, the environment and sparring.

MMAWeekly: We could see that Wanderlei was 100% for his last fight. We also know that differently from his first fight now he had good sparring training, different coaches. How about your area, did you do anything different?

Rafael Alejarra: Wanderlei truly came ready for this fight, and thanks to his training and great sparring. About my area, I’ve been using the HIPOXIA training style. It’s a very good training that is already used in Cuba with boxers and now I am adapting it to MMA. And I can tell that due to the time of training and adaptation, our results were better than in Wanderlei’s first fight.

MMAWeekly: Many fans were thinking that Wanderlei’s problem was his emotional side and due to that he wasn’t doing good in his fights. In his last fight, he shaved his head and fought exactly as the earlier times. What happened? What changed?

Rafael Alejarra: I wouldn't say emotional problems, but as I said before, we were facing adaptation problems here. We had some new things to worry about and we were very busy in our last months, but the truth is, we never let the training level go down. We know, and Wanderlei knows, his responsibility with his fans.

Link

Last edited 6/27/08 10:34AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   6/27/08 10:22:53AM   

GlancyMMA

MMA Regular

GlancyMMA Avatar

Career:402-238
Chips:
The best thing about Wanderlei (well aside from the fact that he is a wicked fighter) it that feeling of "responsibility to his fans"

That dedication to his fans is whats make Wanderlei such an exciting fighter.

During the Lidell fight, Wanderlei swung for the fences the entire fight (something he promised his fans for years that he would do if he got to face Lidell)

Chuck fought two HARD rounds and then took a couple of point grabbing takedowns in the third....

Although Chuck did deserve that "W" - I give Wanderlei total respect for that fight.

Post #2   6/27/08 12:22:46PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
All I have to say is, GO WANDY

Post #3   6/27/08 1:03:37PM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
He isn't my favorite fighter but I still love him for his dedication. He looks and fights like a psychopath yet he's got great character, respect, he's a family man, and makes you feel like he does it all for you. I hope he peeks here in the UFC. I know a lot of people say he is on his way out but with the risk and sacrifice that he is taking he deserves to be back on top. War Wanderlei!!!

Post #4   6/27/08 3:33:36PM