Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Melendez ready for a friendly defense

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
One of the top lightweights in the world and the current Strikeforce lightweight champion, Gilbert Melendez has been wreaking havoc on the 155-pound division in the states and overseas. We caught up with Melendez to talk about his upcoming fight with Josh Thomson, the No. 1 contender to his Strikeforce lightweight title and good friend. Melendez gives his take on this fight and other things pertaining to MMA’s lightweight division around the world.

MMAWeekly - Gilbert, thanks for taking some time out for us. You have a tough fight this Friday, not only physically, but I would also assume mentally as you face someone you have been good friends with for the last couple of years. First, tell us your thoughts on how your training is going and whom you’re working with.

GM - No problem. My training has been going great, nothing really different. I always pushed myself hard and to the limit. I was working for five five-minute rounds for my last fight, so it made it easier to jump into the five and five for this fight. So that’s good and I had good training partners in Nick and Nate Diaz, and of course Jake Shields. He (Jake) is the biggest nightmare ever. He’s really discouraging when he’s whooping my ass, but I know when I tangled with someone else they’re not as tough or as strong as him so it’s been going really good. I also drove out to San Diego and trained with Diego Sanchez a little bit, so it was really cool out there.

Link

Last edited 6/26/08 8:42AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   6/26/08 8:37:48AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,989-1,152
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Nice