Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Affliction VP says Edwin Dewees could replace "Tiger" White

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
The July 19 "Affliction: Banned" event recently suffered its first card casualty, as K.O. Dynasty Management confirmed that Vernon "Tiger" White had been pulled from the event.

Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the organization now has its sights set on UFC veteran Edwin Dewees (35-12-0) as a possible replacement to face Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (13-3).

"We're interested in Edwin Dewees," Atencio said. "I haven't had a chance to talk to him, but I know somebody's reaching out to him, and hopefully that will work out. But we're in talks right now."

As we reported earlier today, White was pulled from the card after testing positive for a banned diuretic after a May 31 Xtreme Fighting Association event in Las Vegas. Atencio said no sanctions have yet been levied on White, but he also said that Affliction could not wait until a decision was issued by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

"I haven't talked to [White], but I know that he has a hearing on the ninth of July," Atencio said. "We just can't wait that long to find out what's going to happen to him."

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   6/25/08 10:36:36PM   

juanez13

P4P

juanez13 Avatar

Career:575-288
Chips:
Now that would be a serious mis-match

Post #2   6/25/08 10:51:58PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I cheer for Edwin because he's originally from Florence, and he's a pretty likable guy, but he would be out of his weight class, and up against a top 10 Light Heavyweight in Lil' Nog. It's interesting, but seems to be like Juanez said, a complete mismatch.

Post #3   6/25/08 10:55:34PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
Dewees is a C+ level MW, what in Affliction's right mind would make them think that he would have a shot at winning? he is 1-4 in his last 5 fights and to face Lil Nog on short notice it is likely he will be 1-5 in his last 6. i guess they just need someone to be fed to Lil Nog, and i applaud Edwin for being a true fighter and stepping up to the plate. but lets not kid ourselves, the man is being fed to the lions here.

Post #4   6/25/08 10:57:18PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I agree this would be a total mismatch. I hope Affliction isn't dead-set on this matchup. Although Vernon was a pretty big mismatch to.

Since the IFL's fighters seem to be up for grabs they should start looking at their roster for some potential matchups.

How about a rematch between Vladamir Matyushenko.

He's a top ten LHW in my opinion and he's beaten Noguiera before. I'm sure Antonio would like to avenge that loss.

I was just thinking, why didn't the UFC sign both brothers?

Last edited 6/25/08 11:15PM server time by luke420187
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   6/25/08 11:14:15PM   

wolfman

On the Banned Team...

wolfman Avatar

Career:550-229
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Dewees is a C+ level MW, what in Affliction's right mind would make them think that he would have a shot at winning? he is 1-4 in his last 5 fights and to face Lil Nog on short notice it is likely he will be 1-5 in his last 6. i guess they just need someone to be fed to Lil Nog, and i applaud Edwin for being a true fighter and stepping up to the plate. but lets not kid ourselves, the man is being fed to the lions here.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Post #6   6/26/08 12:38:56AM   

Frost_777

MMA Regular

Frost_777 Avatar

Career:1,049-725
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I wish that they would have matched up sobral and lil nog Damn that'd be amazing, i think edwin is a horrible choice and Im sure with all the pride guys in light heavy weight that are still kinda floaters they could find someone at least dangerous to lil nog

Post #7   6/26/08 12:56:04AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,989-1,152
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by luke420187

I agree this would be a total mismatch. I hope Affliction isn't dead-set on this matchup. Although Vernon was a pretty big mismatch to.

Since the IFL's fighters seem to be up for grabs they should start looking at their roster for some potential matchups.

How about a rematch between Vladamir Matyushenko.

He's a top ten LHW in my opinion and he's beaten Noguiera before. I'm sure Antonio would like to avenge that loss.

I was just thinking, why didn't the UFC sign both brothers?

i think Lil Nog signed for some other org around the time Big Nog Nog joined the UFC.

HCF was it ?

Post #8   6/26/08 1:02:56AM