Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Marcus Hicks: Married To Fighting

Print  
Posted By Message

ToeZup

Standup Guy

ToeZup Avatar

Career:310-202
Camp: fightlockdown
Chips:
Here is a good Marcus Hick interview by the WEC.
He talks about training, back in the day smack talk by Varner, his stand up and and his one-eyed fight.

http://www.wec.tv/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=13036

Jun-25-2008
By Frank Curreri

He is, in his own words, nearly half the man he used to be. And that’s a good thing, because 155-pound fighter Marcus Hicks once weighed about 245 pounds.

He says he is married to fighting. No time for women, little time even to watch television. He is something of a minimalist who likes to keep life simple. He’s content to be a single-minded gym rat and more of a loner than a socialite. Most days the stocky Texan trains six to eight hours, occasionally reminding himself of what WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner once said about him.

“I remember that last December 12th Jamie said he would smash me,” Hicks said. “Oh, I remember it. So I don’t need any motivation getting ready for this fight.”

Hicks isn’t the kind of man to escalate a war of words with another fighter, so he doesn’t lob any threats back at Varner. But don’t mistake Hicks for a turn-the-other-cheek kind of guy. Inside of the cage, the former pro boxer and Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt is 8-0 and has finished every opponent.

“I’m sure this fight’s not going to go the distance,” Hicks said. “The longer the fight goes the better it is for me. The shorter it is the better it is for me. My confidence comes from my training. I push myself to the limit. Come fight night I don’t have to worry about being tired. All I have to do is bring the fight to him. My training pretty much does everything.

“I think we match up pretty good but at the end of the end of the night I’m sure I’m going to win.”

That is as much vanity, egoism and trash talk as any journalist can pry from Hicks’ insanely polite tongue, which is constantly saying “Yes sir” and “No sir.”

And it is precisely because of his extreme modesty, and reluctance to talk at length about himself, that Hicks packs credibility when discussing aspects of his game that exist but have yet to be revealed in the cage.

“I don’t think I have showcased my standup near to my ability,” said the former Golden Gloves champ, who has won just twice by TKO. “I think I’ve only shown maybe 10 to 15 percent of my boxing potential. I’ve studied Muay Thai for like two or three years but I haven’t really shown a lot of my kicks and elbows.”

Built like a mini Marvin Eastman, Hicks lives in Lewisville, Texas, on the outskirts of Dallas. He owns an MMA gym there and has seen his clientele double thanks to his exposure in the WEC and 3-0 record with the organization. “The Wrecking Ball” considers his WEC debut against Sergio Gomez to be the toughest fight of his career. It was a fast-paced, back-and-forth affair and Hicks was in big trouble when Gomez pounded his left eye.

“It was closed shut, it was done,” Hicks said. “He closed my eye in the beginning of the fight and I couldn’t see out of it the rest of the fight. The doctors were pretty much going to stop the fight. I asked for one more round. So it was going to be all or nothing.”

“I took a little bit of a beating. He was pretty much having his way until he kept taking me down. That was a mistake because I don’t have to see to do jiu-jitsu, I can pretty much just feel. That was a fight where if I was going to quit, that would be the one.”

Hicks’ brush with defeat ended when he finished Gomez with a guillotine choke.

While BJ Penn is widely considered the top 155 pounder in the world, Hicks aims to someday be regarded in the same vein. To that end, he is willing to make huge sacrifices, and the 32-year-old says even love will have to wait.

“It’s hard to be married in a relationship when you’re a fighter because it requires too much discipline and time,” he said. “It’s pretty much impossible. You have to pretty much be married to fighting.”

Last edited 6/25/08 2:27PM server time by toezup
Edit note/reason: Link

Post #1   6/25/08 2:26:34PM