Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Heath Herring has no hesitations with Lesnar

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

When former heavyweight champion Mark Coleman fell out his bout with rising star Brock Lesnar due to injury, the call was quickly made to perennial contender Heath Herring, who stepped up on short notice to take on the Minnesota native in his home state.

Herring made an impressive showing in his last fight defeating Cheick Kongo by split decision at UFC 82 in Columbus, Ohio. Despite the short notice, Herring says he had no hesitations stepping in to face Lesnar and the only detractor was pulling his camp together on time.

“The only hesitation was trying to get all the chickens back in the chicken coup so to speak. No one was really set up to try and get ready for a fight. I think we got camp established pretty quick and now everything’s going okay,” said Herring.

For his last fight, he admitted that he didn’t work much on his ground game, expecting a stand-up fight with the experienced kickboxer, Kongo. Now facing a former NCAA Division I wrestling champion, he’s on top of his grappling skills again, but definitely isn’t neglecting his striking ability.

“I actually am working a little bit of ground now, but we’re also training stand-up as well,” Herring stated. “Not to slack off in any area. We’re trying to be as well rounded as possible. I have a feeling he might want to come out and try to throw just a little bit, and I’m hoping he does and we’ve got to make him pay when he does.”

Link

Last edited 6/24/08 6:25AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   6/24/08 6:24:29AM   

TWITA

MMA Regular

TWITA Avatar

Career:1,499-879
Camp: TKO
Chips:
remember Herring Vs. O'Brien??? O'Brien (former Div 1 wrestler) took Herring down and dominated him on the ground the entire fight. I think Lesnar will do the same thing.

Post #2   6/24/08 9:53:03AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by TWITA

remember Herring Vs. O'Brien??? O'Brien (former Div 1 wrestler) took Herring down and dominated him on the ground the entire fight. I think Lesnar will do the same thing.

you are probably right, i dont think that will be exciting at all, lesnar taking hearing down, L&P for a UD decision man that fight is gonna suck

Post #3   6/24/08 9:56:11AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by jocka

Posted by TWITA

you are probably right, i dont think that will be exciting at all, lesnar taking hearing down, L&P for a UD decision man that fight is gonna suck

Yup

Post #4   6/24/08 10:23:07AM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
i'm the first one to admitt i was stoked to see lesner lose his ufc debut to a ufc vet like mir. i think this guy is a machine and with some improved standup and submission defense.....watch out. he's one of these fighters who just goes balls out and if he keeps doing this he's going to start rolling over the competition and good on him.

Post #5   6/24/08 11:27:54AM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:

Posted by jocka

Posted by TWITA

I disagree. I think this is going to be a watchable fight, without L&P going on at all. One thing Lesnar knows from the Wonder World of Wrestling, is how to please a crowd. I was also one who was glad he lost his debut to Mir, but you have to admit, he did his damnedest to put on an exciting performance (and succeded, IMO).

This will be a hard fight to pick, for me. I've been -totally- unimpressed with Herring since he came into the UFC and I really have no idea what Lesnar can do (other than tie knots in rebar with those fugging arms). I know its pretty much the same with anyone who can throw any kind of punch, but if Lesnar catches him with a good shot, its going to be lightsout, in highlight reel fashion for Heath.

I'm looking forward to it. Then again, I look forward to brawls outside bars after closing, so maybe that doesnt mean much :-p

T777

Post #6   6/24/08 11:55:19AM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:

Posted by TWITA

You gotta look at what Herring's done since that. Even before that fight he had some impressive fights I think it is safe to say that against O'brien he was off his game. I don't expect Lesnar to have his way with him. I think he will stay in it like he did against Big Nog. He will wear him down. My suspicion is that Lesnar can't go even 2 full rounds. Herring TKO's him in the 3rd!

Post #7   6/24/08 12:06:08PM   

TWITA

MMA Regular

TWITA Avatar

Career:1,499-879
Camp: TKO
Chips:

Posted by Trench777

Posted by jocka

Posted by TWITA

I disagree. I think this is going to be a watchable fight, without L&P going on at all. One thing Lesnar knows from the Wonder World of Wrestling, is how to please a crowd. I was also one who was glad he lost his debut to Mir, but you have to admit, he did his damnedest to put on an exciting performance (and succeded, IMO).

This will be a hard fight to pick, for me. I've been -totally- unimpressed with Herring since he came into the UFC and I really have no idea what Lesnar can do (other than tie knots in rebar with those fugging arms). I know its pretty much the same with anyone who can throw any kind of punch, but if Lesnar catches him with a good shot, its going to be lightsout, in highlight reel fashion for Heath.

I'm looking forward to it. Then again, I look forward to brawls outside bars after closing, so maybe that doesnt mean much :-p

T777

Good point. However, I think Lesnar will be a bit more cautious in this fight and will try to rely on his wrestling much more than he did against Mir. I think Lesnar realizes that he MUST win this fight and won't stand there and bang against a guy like Herring who can also throw in nasty head kicks along with heavy punches.

Last edited 6/24/08 12:17PM server time by TWITA

Post #8   6/24/08 12:15:07PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Herring easy

Post #9   6/24/08 12:46:27PM   

89vision

In Full Mount

Career:98-46
Chips:

Posted by TWITA

obviously you didnt know herring had just hurt his knee prior to that fight and couldnt defend takedowns, that being said brock will most likely not stand with heath and is much stronger than o'brian, however i think herring is too experienced and will be able to get the TKO late in the fight

Post #10   6/24/08 12:54:04PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by 89vision

Posted by TWITA

obviously you didnt know herring had just hurt his knee prior to that fight and couldnt defend takedowns, that being said brock will most likely not stand with heath and is much stronger than o'brian, however i think herring is too experienced and will be able to get the TKO late in the fight

true and

Lets not forget about the fact that brock lesnars gnp is some of the sloppiest and energy inefficient gnp ever to grace the ufc.
Hes going to gas.

Post #11   6/24/08 12:59:18PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by 89vision

Posted by TWITA

true and

Lets not forget about the fact that brock lesnars gnp is some of the sloppiest and energy inefficient gnp ever to grace the ufc.
Hes going to gas.

dude this guy is a heaveyweight version of sean sherk, he's def not gonna gas. mainly because his fight won't last long enough for us to find out. but hey i know there is always people out there who have to talk down fighters so go ahead. i know i do sometimes, alomst always about frank mir.

Post #12   6/24/08 1:23:51PM   

PaleHorse

Standup Guy

PaleHorse Avatar

Career:334-241
Camp: Society of Woden
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by 89vision

Posted by TWITA

true and

Hes going to gas.

I think the only way Lesnar would gas would be if Herring wore him down with strikes, otherwise that dude is not getting tired. You should watch his workout routine, the man is not getting tired.

Post #13   6/24/08 1:24:43PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
lest we forget about tom erikson vs herring..

erikson was ranked for years as #2(if im recalling corectly) int he nation at HW in freestyle..
erikson would beat obrian and lesnar(in wrestling and mma).. and hearing beat him

Last edited 6/24/08 1:32PM server time by jgtribbett

Post #14   6/24/08 1:28:54PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:
I am kinda hoping that Brock wins this one just so that he sticks arround and improves. I want to see more of the explosiveness he showed against Mir.

Post #15   6/24/08 1:41:56PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2