Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Bobby Lashley Training With AKA, H.I.T Squad and others for MMA Debut

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
LEXINGTON, Ky. - MMA promoters have long targeted professional wrestling fans as potential ticket-buyers for their own events. Now, those same promoters are targeting professional wrestling's athletes as potential stars.

Pro wrestling's latest export, recently signed American Fight League fighter Bobby Lashley, recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he doesn't want to be viewed as just another wrestler.

"I'm putting it all together," Lashley said. "I'm going into this thing not with just overpowering my own style with [wrestling]. I'm actually learning everything else. I'm learning the jiu-jitsu; I'm taking it from the basics. I'm learning my kickboxing, my boxing. I'm getting the whole game tied together. So when I debut, it's not going to be a wrestler trying to do MMA. It's going to be a fighter."

LINK

Post #1   6/24/08 1:17:17AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,360-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

I'm learning the jiu-jitsu; I'm taking it from the basics. I'm learning my kickboxing, my boxing. I'm getting the whole game tied together. So when I debut, it's not going to be a wrestler trying to do MMA. It's going to be a fighter."

So he's debuting in 2011 then?

Post #2   6/24/08 1:20:19AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by MMAcca

I'm learning the jiu-jitsu; I'm taking it from the basics. I'm learning my kickboxing, my boxing. I'm getting the whole game tied together. So when I debut, it's not going to be a wrestler trying to do MMA. It's going to be a fighter."

So he's debuting in 2011 then?

Post #3   6/24/08 3:21:00AM   

Figsak

Barred From Forum

Figsak Avatar

Career:189-106
Chips:
PPL talk about Kimbo ruining MMA, but IMO this right here is the REAL problem. How is it fair for these guys to spend 10yrs in a wrestling organization which I'm sure ENCOURAGES them to roid up, then just jump over to the MMA boat. The rest of the guys who go with MMA from day one don't have that advantage. Even the small Venues test if they're sanctioned.

If Joe Schmoe Doright Debuts against Roid Rogers, who do you think has the advantage?

Post #4   6/24/08 1:19:52PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
strongly disagree. the only guys that are coming out of wrestling to fight are the ones who have the right drive. and they all have wrestled and won titles in college wrestling. it's not like your gonna see john cena make the transfer. they're just getting bored with putting on a show and have the need for real competition.

different subject it seriously bothers me that 75 percent of the posts on this site are negative about the fighters who make us the fans hobby a reality.

not singling anyone out here.

Post #5   6/24/08 1:33:29PM   

jimmypockets

ThE ThIcKFrEAkNeSS

jimmypockets Avatar

Career:1,083-725
Camp: RuStY CaGe FiGhT TeAm
Chips:
Yeah it is really senseless to crique Lashley when he hasn't even performed yet. I just get tired of eveyone lashing out when someone outside of MMA enjoys the sport and decides to try and compete in it. Lashley is phenomenal wrestler and we all know that is a pretty good foundation to build on. The man is training with AKA so he is obviously taking the sport seriously. Reserve your comments for after you have given the man a chance to compete. I am tired of watching old washed up guys fight over and over. I am glad to see ATHLETES coming over to the sport to compete and if anyone disagrees that Lashley is less than a great athlete you seriously need to go to the hospital and get checked out.

XB Live Gamertags- J1mMy PoCkEtS, Th3 Barncat

Post #6   6/25/08 11:20:50AM