Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Forrest Griffin's Story Can Draw Big Numbers

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,806-1,051
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Although The Ultimate Fighter 7 rebounded in its final 4 weeks with strong ratings and better shows, the show truly failed to hype up the upcoming Forrest/Rampage fight. Even at the finale, I got the impression from their interview that they would be carpooling home from the show. The animosity needed to sell the fight in a conventional way is not there.

However, this fight doesn't need animosity to sell, if they spend the next two weeks on the most obvious narrative of all: The original TUF winner and perrenial underdog against the guy that knocked out Chuck Liddell in the first round.

link

Post #1   6/23/08 4:04:39PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Market Rampage...it's good that they are marketing Forrest but if he loses he'll get thrown to silva on his way up to Rampage. I still think rampage takes Silva.

Post #2   6/23/08 5:39:37PM   

Figsak

Barred From Forum

Figsak Avatar

Career:189-106
Chips:
Maybe. Rampages ground game is crap, but he generally makes up for it by putting a dent in the ring with the guys head when they wrap him up (Ricardo Arona).

I think Rampage is just another sloppy brawler in the mold of Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, and Nate Marquardt. Rampage is better than all them ATM, but I think he'd struggle vs Silva just like they did.

I think the real anwswer to Silva is a technical striker the likes of Martin Kampmann (who I wish they would of put up against him b4 he moved up), Lyoto Machida, and Chuck Liddell. IMO those are his brick walls, I could be wrong.

Post #3   6/23/08 11:17:40PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Chips:
I think you are very right about machida.

Post #4   6/23/08 11:34:10PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Figsak

Maybe. Rampages ground game is crap, but he generally makes up for it by putting a dent in the ring with the guys head when they wrap him up (Ricardo Arona).

I think Rampage is just another sloppy brawler in the mold of Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, and Nate Marquardt. Rampage is better than all them ATM, but I think he'd struggle vs Silva just like they did.

I think the real anwswer to Silva is a technical striker the likes of Martin Kampmann (who I wish they would of put up against him b4 he moved up), Lyoto Machida, and Chuck Liddell. IMO those are his brick walls, I could be wrong.

Rampage is sooo strong though and i think that is where Silva would come unstuck. Rampage would control the fight and win it. Anderson is not a LHW and i think jackson would be a step too far for him. (would love to see the fight though.)

IMO Machida is the only person who can take Rampage's belt away from him.

Post #5   6/24/08 1:39:35AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:

Posted by EliasG

Market Rampage...it's good that they are marketing Forrest but if he loses he'll get thrown to silva on his way up to Rampage. I still think rampage takes Silva.

I would pick Forrest to win if that fight ever happened.

Post #6   6/24/08 1:40:31AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Chips:
I think Forrest is too easy to hit and Silva is too accurate and too powerful.

Post #7   6/24/08 9:59:44AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
Definitly market Rampage, actually just give him a microphone and a camera let him say some of the funny stuff he says then aire a special on Spike with him comments. lol

Post #8   6/24/08 10:08:14AM   

Figsak

Barred From Forum

Figsak Avatar

Career:189-106
Chips:
[

IMO Machida is the only person who can take Rampage's belt away from him.

Then you never saw Rampage fight in Pride. Rampage got walked all over by all their big names, i.e.- Wanderlei, Shogun, Sakuraba. 2 of these guys are in the UFC now.

As I said in a previous post on a different thread, all us Pride fans are baffled as to why Rampage and Anderson Silva are doing so well, and Shogun, CroCop, Wanderlei, and Noguiera are all looking like crap. Rampage and Silva were after thoughts in the Pride lineup. Its an alternate universe, none of this is real.

Post #9   6/24/08 1:46:38PM