Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Inter-Promotional Angles

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,732-1,514
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Anyone insistent that mixed martial arts has more in common with boxing than professional wrestling should learn their alphabet: UFC, IFL, WAMMA, etc.

Like the televised clown convention that is the WWE, the UFC has a stable of athletes unavailable for lending -- kind of like those musty reference books at the library.

That stands in sharp contrast to boxing's business model, which tends to acquiesce to fans' demands. Lennox Lewis was an HBO commodity. Mike Tyson was on Showtime's leash. Yet, the two networks understood that remaining contentious was just leaving money on the table.

With $106 million in the till, the Lewis-Tyson fight was the second most profitable pay-per-view of all time.

MMA's current problem is that no one -- fans, media or otherwise -- are demanding promoters to make important bouts before age and ring wear make them obsolete.

What follows is a list of fighters from disparate promotions that should swap leather before it's too late.

Link

Post #1   6/23/08 8:01:51AM   

Frost_777

MMA Regular

Frost_777 Avatar

Career:963-683
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I thought that at least the fans were demanding this and if not ill start now, i demand cross promotion fights!

Post #2   6/23/08 8:46:55AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
Yea WE been wanting fights from cross promotions since the early days of the UFC and Pride... ...

I think the best way to decide weather it is a cage or a ring is simply to flip a coin at the weigh ins... no one knows what they are fighting in until the night before.. and doing a coin flip in front of a crowd at the weigh ins is the best way to do it since no one could claim they are favoring either athlete ot which ever promotion...

Post #3   6/23/08 12:51:33PM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:
There are so many holes in this logic, its hard to know where to start...

1: How about; theres not 106 million on the table for any MMA org at the moment...not even -close-.

2: Follow -boxing's- example?? Boxing's popularity is & has been on the decline for, oh...a couple decades now? MMA's popularity has been rising like the price of gas over that same time. You gonna go to a trainer that is 70 pounds overweight & smokes 3 packs a day?

3: How about; UFC has a strangle hold on MMA in USA right now and to let thier fighters fight on a co-promoted card would be tantamount to giving any other promotion an I.V. cash & publicity.

3A:How about; The UFC and MMA are virtually synonymous in 90% of American's eyes...to co-promote a fight card would be like McDonalds offering Whopper coupons with every Happy Meal.

Repeat 3 & 3A ad nauseum & ad infinitum with as many varied analogies as you like, because thats all the reason you need for why you are not going to see this happen anytime soon.

We'd all like to see "dream fights"...and hopefully some day we will...but to think the UFC is going to wake up one morning with amnesia instead of business sense is pretty unrealistic.

*tosses his 2c in the pot*

T777

Post #4   6/23/08 12:58:11PM   

Figsak

Barred From Forum

Figsak Avatar

Career:189-106
Chips:
I personally was a fan of both Pride and UFC before the buyout... I thought the Pride guys would come over and wipe the ******* floors with the UFC guys. And to throw me into a total loop, Rampage Jackson, the guy who couldn't win a major Pride fight to save his life, is now running the UFC! Any1 else confused by this alternate universe??

~Bizzzaaarrrooo BIZaaarrrrooo~

Post #5   6/23/08 12:59:21PM