Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Diego Sanchez refocused and eyeing UFC gold

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
After leaving Team Jackson and trainer Greg Jackson, Diego Sanchez suffered his first professional mixed martial arts loss and dropped two in a row. Now, acclimated to his new training environment, Sanchez defeated Luigi Fioravanti at the Ultimate Fighter 7 Live Finale and has reeled off back-to-back victories. "The Nightmare" appears refocused and is eyeing Ultimate Fighting Championship gold.

"Coming off these two wins now, I feel like I'm back on track," said Sanchez. "The two losses came with perfect timing. To be honest, if I wouldn't have had those loses I maybe would have gone on to become the champion, but the timing wouldn't have been right. Now I feel the timing is right to go and become the champion and hold the belt. That's what every fighter wants to do, become the champion and stay the champion.

Link

Last edited 6/23/08 7:11AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   6/23/08 7:08:42AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
lol that guy is nuts, there is no way in hell hes ever gonna hold that belt unless gsp/fitch/alves all die in a plane accident of something

Post #2   6/23/08 7:22:01AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
that did look to be the best Diegi ive seen but still has me thinking his wrestling is just not good enough so he cant GnP guys like GSP or Fitch ever, and whilst its good his striking is improved he still loses to Alves if they fight next

Post #3   6/23/08 7:24:55AM   

Frost_777

MMA Regular

Frost_777 Avatar

Career:1,070-737
Camp: TKO
Chips:
The thing with diego is that he just keeps on going and now that his striking has improved i think he could stand a great chance with the top guys, the only problem with him is that he doesn't fully commit to his takedowns because he is afraid of being caught with something, if he were to lose this fear we'd see a better diego

Post #4   6/23/08 8:38:11AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
IMHO Diego is the 2nd best Welterweight in the UFC, talent wise. He just hasn't proven it on paper yet. His stand up is better then Kos and Fitches and so is his cardio. I think he could hand with Alves on the feet but once it hit the ground, it's over. I say he's the 2nd best because he's the only guy that does not need one punch to beat GSP. Fitch needs one perfectly timed punch to rock him and so does Alves so it makes his wrestling a little sloppier and easier to defend against when he's rocked. Diego could hang with GSP wherever the fight goes, he stand up is beautiful and his ground game is excellent with a great mix of explosive and fast transitions with his wrestling and he has great JJ I imagine since he's training with some of the best grapplers in the world. That's why I 'd love to see a 5 rounder between them to see who gives first seeing how both have mad good cardio.

I'm glad he's back and refocused. I hope he destroys Swick next and then gets a rematch with Fitch or Kos. Diego is the man...

Post #5   6/23/08 10:44:36AM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

IMHO Diego is the 2nd best Welterweight in the UFC, talent wise. He just hasn't proven it on paper yet. His stand up is better then Kos and Fitches and so is his cardio. I think he could hand with Alves on the feet but once it hit the ground, it's over. I say he's the 2nd best because he's the only guy that does not need one punch to beat GSP. Fitch needs one perfectly timed punch to rock him and so does Alves so it makes his wrestling a little sloppier and easier to defend against when he's rocked. Diego could hang with GSP wherever the fight goes, he stand up is beautiful and his ground game is excellent with a great mix of explosive and fast transitions with his wrestling and he has great JJ I imagine since he's training with some of the best grapplers in the world. That's why I 'd love to see a 5 rounder between them to see who gives first seeing how both have mad good cardio.

I'm glad he's back and refocused. I hope he destroys Swick next and then gets a rematch with Fitch or Kos. Diego is the man...

I am so glad Diego is back. I never really counted him out. I was surprised how much bigger Fioravanti was but Diego adapted so well. I think he is a legit contender. I think he would destroy Kos in a rematch and anyone would be foolish to argue that. I also would like to see him get a shot at GSP/Fitch/Alves next. Excellent showing, always entertaining.

Post #6   6/23/08 11:21:52AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm glad he is back too...however UFC Gold???? How about beating up some top competitors first. Hate to say it but Luigi isn't the best....I would like to see him against Davis, Swick, Gono, or even Roan before he talks about being on track for a title shot!

Post #7   6/23/08 3:39:21PM