Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

C.B. Dollaway comments on "THE TAP"

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
It doesn't matter if it was a tap or not, Herb Dean is able to stop the fight and call it fighter safety. It sucks becuase I was going for CB but I think Herb Dean kknew that submission was in tight and he was gonna stop it anyway.

Post #16   6/23/08 12:08:18PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
For a monet to me the sub looked tight but then it just didn't.. so I see who CD kinda reconsidered his tap.. In classes I have been in the same situation... I mean CB taps once and then just moves his hand away as if .. "Hey, this does not hurt... "

Now I do not recall seeing in the rules for MMA that is says 3 taps.. but in all the classes I ever took it was always 3 taps... but I still think it was a deent call by Herb.. a touch fast.. but fighters saftey is always the concern... Honestly Iwould love to see CB and Amir go at it a 3rd time.. just cause it was a great fight.. not right away.. maybe after they each get a couple of more fights... and learn some new things...

Post #17   6/23/08 12:41:01PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I'm not sure CB is telling the total truth here. That armbar was in really tight. There was no way he was pulling out of that. I mean what do you want the ref to do let CB's arm break. He tapped, end of story. He's still going to be in the UFC and I think he's going to have a good career. So lets get over it.

Post #18   6/23/08 12:43:42PM   

Figsak

Barred From Forum

Figsak Avatar

Career:189-106
Chips:

Posted by The-Don

For a monet to me the sub looked tight but then it just didn't.. so I see who CD kinda reconsidered his tap.. In classes I have been in the same situation... I mean CB taps once and then just moves his hand away as if .. "Hey, this does not hurt... "

Now I do not recall seeing in the rules for MMA that is says 3 taps.. but in all the classes I ever took it was always 3 taps... but I still think it was a deent call by Herb.. a touch fast.. but fighters saftey is always the concern... Honestly Iwould love to see CB and Amir go at it a 3rd time.. just cause it was a great fight.. not right away.. maybe after they each get a couple of more fights... and learn some new things...

I personally don't care if I ever see CB in the ring again. He got caught in the same exact submission on the same exact arm by a guy who isn't exactly a BJJ monster. He tapped, he changed his mind, then when Herb pulled Amir off him, he turned into 8yr old girl. I picked CB in that fight to win a decision, thinking he'd of learned from their last fight and worked on his submission defense. Turns out he was working on his b*tching instead.

Post #19   6/23/08 12:53:16PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
I know PRIDE had the 3 tap rule for sure.
Remember the Royce / Saku controversy when Saku tapped twice?

He was only accepting Royce's apology for knee him in the nuts and saying it's OK.

But Royce has a loose standing guillotine and lots of people thought he tapped.

Not sure about the US though. but Herb made the right call. He's seen arms snap before.

Post #20   6/23/08 1:29:50PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Greg Savage made an excellent point on his show today. He brought up Lindlund vs. Bustamante and the fake tap. That match was restarted... and I think the rules were made more vague so that we wouldn't have any more fake taps to get out of subs.

Post #21   6/23/08 1:38:30PM   

NinjaCyborg

Forum Banned

NinjaCyborg Avatar

Career:175-184
Camp: Double Deuce
Chips:
I've always thought there was a "3 tap" rule myself. However I couldn't find it on the UFC rules list.
But here is the problem. If there is not a defined tap rule that is strictly adhered to, then everytime a fighter simply sets his hand on his opponent could be considered a tap.
You have to have a rule that requires more than 1 tap to differentiate from moments when fighters are planning and simply feeling out their next move.

I honestly didn't think CB was tapping, I thought he placed his hand on Amirs thigh momentarily and then decided to make a move when Herb Dean jumped in and broke it up. You just can't do that. I don't care if CB's arm was about to be snapped off, if CB wants to wait until his arm is snapped off, it's his decision. But the Ref needs to wait for 3 consecutive taps and all Refs need to follow that strictly or you're going to cause alot of controversy.

Post #22   6/23/08 1:39:03PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
I get the feeling sometimes that fighters use the tap in gamesmanship. For instance when they are in a sticky situation they give a little tap on the ref blindside to see if the opponent loosens their grip. Even if only for a split second it could be enought to get out of the bad spot. This one could have backfired.

Post #23   6/23/08 1:58:07PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
This is why i think it was a tap. CB admitted that the armbar was making him submit so he began to tap. after what appeared to be 2 taps, he said that he felt his arm slip into better position so he felt that he could continue. the reason i think that situation happened in the first place is because when Amir felt him tap him twice, he most likely loosened his hold on CB's arm so not do to excessive damage. this happens to me all the time when i roll because i guy will tap you twice, you loosen your submission then they pop out and continue. now, they don't do it on purpose so it is not like it is a strategy, but once you begin to tap the person holding the submission ends to loosen up. he wouldn't have felt his arm get into better position in the first place had he not tapped with the intention to give up in the first place. now i know Amir should have waited for the referee to stop the fight but in my opinion he won fair and square. CB has shown that he constantly leaves himself open for easy submissions and he is always leaving that arm out there for grabs. hell, i think i could even get the armbar on him.

Post #24   6/23/08 3:18:28PM   

originalconspiracy

Learning to Sprawl

originalconspiracy Avatar

Career:767-437
Chips:
just wanted to say i think its dumb of cb. he didnt need to move his hand at all if he didnt tap. his mainconcern wouldve been pulling that arm out and he didnt and tapped on amirs leg..three or one he tapped.

Post #25   6/23/08 4:11:49PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Yeah cb will fight and he should spend about 80 percent of his time working with bjj defense.

His hand wasn't going to the thigh to protect his arm that would be the wrong place to defense it. It was a tap.

Post #26   6/23/08 5:37:48PM   

fade2black2004

Learning to Sprawl

Career:30-27
Chips:

Posted by NinjaCyborg
I honestly didn't think CB was tapping, I thought he placed his hand on Amirs thigh momentarily and then decided to make a move when Herb Dean jumped in and broke it up. You just can't do that. I don't care if CB's arm was about to be snapped off, if CB wants to wait until his arm is snapped off, it's his decision. But the Ref needs to wait for 3 consecutive taps and all Refs need to follow that strictly or you're going to cause alot of controversy.

It was a tap, i really cant even understand how someone could say it was not a tap my autistic little friend even scream "he tapped"

and if you have a real tight armbar in you can snap a guys arm before he can even tap twice

and its not CBs decision on when the fight should be stopped its the refs, thats there job, if the refs just let peoples arms snap then you would see alot of states stop allowing mma to be held there which would put the sport back as a whole

Post #27   6/23/08 8:51:39PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2