Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Time for UFC to get tough on TUF

Print  
Are the TUF antics getting out of control?
Yes 24 37%
No 23 35%
I hate Don King! 18 28%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I suppose if I was between the ages of 18 and 34, I’d find Jesse Taylor’s antics hilarious. I’d find the fact that he got drunk out of his mind, kicked a window out of a limousine, harassed several women, antagonized customers trying to enjoy their leisure time and blatantly challenged security guards’ authority to protect their property a laugh-a-minute riot.

Instead, I find it repellant, just as I found it revolting during another episode of “The Ultimate Fighter” on Spike TV when a once-again drunken Taylor urinated onto the carpet of someone else’s home.

If this is great TV, then you can count me out for Seasons 8 and beyond.

At least UFC president Dana White did the right thing by booting Taylor from his position opposite Amir Sadollah in Saturday’s finale at The Pearl at The Palms in Las Vegas.

The bigger picture is being overlooked in all of this, however. Taylor’s drunken buffoonery might have helped Spike earn a bigger rating, both for Wednesday’s heavily hyped episode as well for Saturday’s finale, now between Sadollah and the man he beat in the semifinals, pre-tournament favorite C.B. Dollaway.

But at what cost did Spike land those ratings? This isn’t the first time one of the competitors on “The Ultimate Fighter” got drunk and rowdy. Most often, it’s harmless. Producers of the show tacitly encourage the fighters with a wink and a nod to destroy the house.

And each season on the show, you know it’s coming as sure as sunrise. What if one of those drunken fighters fell down that tall staircase in the home where the show is taped while horsing around with one of his castmates and banged his head on the floor? And just what if the effects of that fighter banging his head turned out to be a little more serious than a bump or a mild concussion?

Link

Post #1   6/21/08 1:38:05PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
the guys who have been idiots have been kicked off for the most part, so i don't see a problem with the behavior. as for the focus, all reality shows focus on the human side of the show and tuf is no different.

Post #2   6/21/08 1:47:29PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Thats pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Yeh, somebody might be wreaking havok and fall down the stairs and die, but its about as big a possibility as somebody walking by the pool and slipping in and drowning. Its easy to sit on your high horse on the outside, but when your a young guy trapped in a house with people you might not even like for however long it is, youd probably want a release to. If the producers tell them they can wreck the house, then shit, let them do it. Sitting round reading and playing chess isnt everybodies idea of fun, just like breaking shit isnt everyones idea of fun.

Post #3   6/21/08 1:53:06PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Chips:

Posted by nickcuc547

the guys who have been idiots have been kicked off for the most part, so i don't see a problem with the behavior. as for the focus, all reality shows focus on the human side of the show and tuf is no different.

That's true, but the article touches on an interesting point...what happens when someone is drunk from Zuffa/Spike supplied alcohol and gets seriously hurt? I actually had the same thought going though my head when they were tearing out the handrails on the stairs. Someone could easily have fallen to the floor below, especially considering they had been drinking. So, if that did happen, then what? Regardless of a possible ugly lawsuit, what does that do to tarnish the UFC brand, etc?

Post #4   6/21/08 1:54:04PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
I don't disagree and if it's Spike actually scripting some of the entertaining nonsense then shame on them, but if it's just a bunch of bored immature fighters then they're grown men and it's on them. I'm 18 and I love it, it's entertaining imo.

The one thing I would say against it though is that the focus is then drawn away from what's important. Marketing fighters and marketing a show is one thing but they are slowly making the show about false drama and coaches rather than fighters.

Post #5   6/21/08 2:21:47PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
The guy's on the show just need to stop destroying the house. TUF guys need to show some respect to the UFC and act like professional and not an idiot that the uninformed public thinks of these mma fighters.

Post #6   6/21/08 2:33:30PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

The guy's on the show just need to stop destroying the house. TUF guys need to show some respect to the UFC and act like professional and not an idiot that the uninformed public thinks of these mma fighters.

Well when the ufcs producers are egging them on to wreck the house, how can you say their disrespecting the ufc by doing it?

Post #7   6/21/08 2:41:07PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
THe UFC causes it they take everything away from them except food and alcohol what do you think is going to happen. Sad to say dysfunction sells and nobody would watch if there weren't any controversy. I personally don't like it either but what can you do? Watch/don't watch you have the control

Last edited 6/21/08 2:48PM server time by porch28
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   6/21/08 2:46:57PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
You know what then, Theyshould just throw the guys in the house for 6 weeks and say you don't get out until someone wins.That would be insane

Last edited 6/21/08 2:51PM server time by porch28

Post #9   6/21/08 2:51:18PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Just a thought, but are all the guys on TUF 21 years old or older? They must have been otherwise we would have heard about underage drinking.

I've said it many times. I find the whole rowdy behaviour really immature. I mean, it is something I would expect from a teenager, but some of these guys are married and have kids.

Also, do we really need more fighters in the UFC that have problems with alcohol?

For me it's not a matter of not watching it because I don't watch TUF any more, but I don't like the idea of these fighters possibly being the main staple of young up an comers in the UFC (or any org for that matter)

Last edited 6/21/08 3:05PM server time by Rush

Post #10   6/21/08 3:04:06PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
My biggest problem with TUF is that guys from the show get to lose 2-3 more fights before being cut than a guy not from TUF. I don't even mind them getting fights in UFC. When they headline coming off 2 loses then I take issue. Looking at you Grove.

So CroCop cut and Kendall main event? I guess if UFC says they have the best fighters in the world it must be true.

Post #11   6/21/08 3:30:51PM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:

Posted by Porch28
...Watch/don't watch you have the control

& thats what it boils down to.

All the drunken frat boy bullshit that entertains the 18 year old viewers ceased to amuse me about 10 years ago (doing it & watching it). No moral lectures, no speaches on temperance, self-control & 101 Ways to F*** Your Life Up, just...*click off*...there ya go.

I'll click back in the last 30 minutes to watch the fight(s) & leave the beer bong contests and drywall destruction to the MTV crowd.

T777

Post #12   6/21/08 3:39:38PM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Career:130-75
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by nickcuc547

That's true, but the article touches on an interesting point...what happens when someone is drunk from Zuffa/Spike supplied alcohol and gets seriously hurt? I actually had the same thought going though my head when they were tearing out the handrails on the stairs. Someone could easily have fallen to the floor below, especially considering they had been drinking. So, if that did happen, then what? Regardless of a possible ugly lawsuit, what does that do to tarnish the UFC brand, etc?

im sure that the fighters sign some type of release form before the show that would prevent a lawsuit

Post #13   6/21/08 3:40:27PM   

Jipper

Standup Guy

Jipper Avatar

Career:437-217
Chips:
I thought this was a time for TUF to get some tuff fighters. Serious lack of talent since TUF 4.

Post #14   6/21/08 4:05:34PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:

Posted by Jipper

I thought this was a time for TUF to get some tuff fighters. Serious lack of talent since TUF 4.

I personally though season 5 was one of the most talented season.
...other than wang and ruedinger.

Post #15   6/21/08 4:09:04PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3