Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

The Case Against Counter Programming

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
What do you get when you mix one part Anderson Silva, one part free TV, and one part revenge?

A huge mistake on July 19th.

Originally rumored to be headlined by Wanderlei Silva or Brandon Vera or Wanderlei Silva AND Brandon Vera, Zuffa has thrown together a card featuring the 205 lb. debut of pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva. The card will also showcase Brandon Vera, a lightweight bout between Hermes Franca and Frank Edgar, and a heavyweight fight with prospects Jake O'Brien and Cain Velasquez.

The questions is, "Why?"

LINK

Post #1   6/20/08 1:23:58AM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,363-780
Chips:
A very interesting article, and I agree with most of what they're saying from a business perspective (although I don't understand why it would lose money). From a fan's perspective though, this is going to be a great show and a blast to watch. It may be risky and ill-conceived, but I'm going to be on the edge of my seat for the Silva fight. He wanted a bigger challenge than what he was getting at MW and he might pay the price for his hubris, you never know.

Post #2   6/20/08 4:39:02AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,185-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think they make a good point - that it wasn't going to sell that much anyway.

I don't know that it does much harm, though, to put more free fights on tv, albeit mediocre ones.

Zuffa just wants to run them into the ground - steal any attention away that they can. Fedor wouldn't sign, Sylvia and AA still carry some of their fame with them.

Bottom line, if you're gonna compete with the UFC, it will have to be based on good matchups.

Post #3   6/20/08 9:46:09AM