Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Big John McCarthy on UFC vs. Affliction

Print  
Posted By Message

PunchyMcGee

MMA Regular

PunchyMcGee Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I got a chance to interview Big John McCarthy after a taping of Inside MMA earlier today. Here is what he said about the UFC putting on a show the same day as Affliction's PPV:

“I mean, look at that fight. You got your middleweight champion (Anderson Silva), you’re moving up to light-heavyweight to fight James Irvin. What good does that do for him? I mean, (UFC president) Dana (White) feels … obviously he feels there is some competition there with Affliction. He wants to try to do something to damage Affliction. That’s why he is doing this. I look at it and it’s bad for the sport, it’s bad for the fans. There needs to be more than the one promotion."

Check out the rest of the interview here:

http://punch.freedomblogging.com/2008/06/18/big-john-mccarthy-on-mma-rules-and-ufc-vs-affliction/

Post #1   6/18/08 10:48:29PM   

jimmypockets

ThE ThIcKFrEAkNeSS

jimmypockets Avatar

Career:1,090-730
Camp: RuStY CaGe FiGhT TeAm
Chips:
Well I know that I will be the minority because the UFC is going to be free but I will be watching Affliction. That card means alot more to the sport of MMA than a Silva/Irvin match and an Anthony Johnson undercard. Dana will probably be cheering for Irvin so he has a new star that is locked under contract for a small sum of money.

XB Live Gamertags- J1mMy PoCkEtS, Th3 Barncat

Post #2   6/18/08 11:07:17PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think affliction is damaging itself, blowing its load on just one card, i mean it should make for a hell of a card.

but either they have to sign more fightes or hope their fighters dont get hurt too bad, but i think they will only put on a card every couple of months.

Post #3   6/18/08 11:07:57PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I disagree with John in some respect. Business is business and you need to protect your investments. That means keeping the competition on the bottom rung of the ladder or squash them altogeher in one fell swoop.

Is it bad for MMA? It would be unfortunate for an organization to fail in its first showing, because they seem serious and genuine about putting on good fights. But you can't blame a guy for doing his job.

If Affliction is for real (particularly Trump) then they'll be willing to take a few lumps in the beginning.

Last edited 6/18/08 11:12PM server time by luke420187
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   6/18/08 11:09:15PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I agree w/ him and the majority of posters, but I can't say Dana shouldn't be doing this (from a strictly bus perspective) It's the smart thing to do. I would have planned it a while ago if I were him (just not announced it to avoid Affliction changing the date) but it's smart for him. He wants the org to be the sport, obviously, it's not good for the sport as a whole... Unless you think watching two great events the same day is bad. I just hope a lot of ppl buy Affliction, cuz there will be a lot of ppl watching on the net.

Post #5   6/18/08 11:09:36PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
i'll be taping the ufc and watching it right after affliction is over:)

Post #6   6/18/08 11:29:01PM   

bigox420

MMA Regular

bigox420 Avatar

Career:1,073-798
Chips:
Business is business and you need to protect your investments

Then why would you move your MW champ up a weight class. How is that protecting your investment you are just putting the MW title on hold to try and steal the show. It almost seems like maybe Dana is scared or has some bad blood with Affiction.

Last edited 6/19/08 12:32AM server time by bigox420
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   6/19/08 12:30:16AM   

TheCelica

Learning to Sprawl

TheCelica Avatar

Career:690-578
Camp: Death
Chips:
bad blood for sure, its owned by his enstranged heavyweight champion, of course Dana wants them to fail

Post #8   6/19/08 1:52:15AM   

Kracker_Jap

BANNED

Kracker_Jap Avatar

Career:359-223
Chips:
I'm going to spend the night with my kids

then watch The UFC on my DVR so i don't have to sit through hours of commercials

Then down load Affliction off a torrent the next day

Post #9   6/19/08 3:14:14AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I actualy think putting on a free event the night of Affliction Banned is the worst thing the UFC could do.To me,(and of course this is just my opinion),it now makes it look like the UFC is trying to compete with Affliction rather than Affliction competeting with the UFC.Considering this is Afflictions first card,Zuffa must be worried they will have plenty of fire in them,if their deiciding to directly compete with them on their first show.

I can't really say it's a bad move,but when you look at it from that perspective I think it is.

Post #10   6/19/08 5:26:02AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

I actualy think putting on a free event the night of Affliction Banned is the worst thing the UFC could do.To me,(and of course this is just my opinion),it now makes it look like the UFC is trying to compete with Affliction rather than Affliction competeting with the UFC.Considering this is Afflictions first card,Zuffa must be worried they will have plenty of fire in them,if their deiciding to directly compete with them on their first show.

I can't really say it's a bad move,but when you look at it from that perspective I think it is.

I agree. This is the first time UFC have ever done this, they are obviously worried about affliction, which in turn, will surely make give them confidence about their future events.

Someone on hear made a great point about the "casual fan" probably not even knowing Sylvia, Arolvski and Couture have decided to leave UFC. This may be a reason Dana wants to take some of the attention away from Affliction.

Post #11   6/19/08 7:04:39AM   

hodge

Standup Guy

hodge Avatar

Career:442-256
Chips:
Big John is right there needs to be more than 1 big company otherwise you never get long awaited fights like Liddell vs Silva in the PRIDE vs UFC days. If they both fought under the same company they would have fought each other long before and it wouldnt have been the same as the two great LHWs finally colliding.

Post #12   6/19/08 11:12:25AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
Before Trump got involved with affliction this fight night was a good idea... It could have done enough damamge from a buisness stand point to probably end them after one show... But if Dana thinks he can keep doing this to someone like The Donaldand beat him... Its not going to happen... The Donald does not like to lose. He loves to make money... I am sure The Donald knows if he waits out a few shows keeps putting on big caurds Affliction is going to explode espically if they can get a TV Deal regardless if it is cable or net work it iwll get expousre for the fighters the brand and all.... I think Affliction and THe Donald are here to stay... pl;ay if them getting Megadeth to perform at the Fist Affliction event.. Tht will get people tuning in just to see Megadeth and bring in some hard core fans who love viloence who may not really have been exposed to MMA yet... I am trying to figure out now how I can see this cause this is going to be awesome.

Post #13   6/19/08 12:22:35PM   

mutosufan

MMA Regular

Career:33-26
Chips:
I don't think it is that the UFC is "nervous" or "scared" of Afliction taking hold in the World of MMA productions, but Affliction is basically mortgaging their future on one fight night, this one. I read that they are expecting/needing 250,000 ppv buys to support this card. Fedor's last USA fight vs Lindland only garnered 13,000 ppv buys.

The way I see it, Dana is going to see if Affliction has the stomach and nerves to take a HUGE monetary loss on this card if they , Afliction, does not hit their marker of ppv buys. If Affliction bows out after only bringing in 50,000 ppv buys and nets millions + in losses, then the UFC accomplished their goal.

As far as Silva, their has been talk for months that he may go up to LHW. So Dana taking a chance on losing the franchise by pulling this "stunt" is a little uniformed because this has been bantered for some time.

Post #14   6/19/08 2:24:59PM