Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor versus Sylvia to produce first WAMMA champion

Print  
Posted By Message

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
The World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts (WAMMA) will stage its first title fight next month, with the winner of the Fedor Emelianenko versus Tim Sylvia bout emerging as the alliance's "undisputed world heavyweight champion."

WAMMA formed in November of last year as MMA's first sanctioning body with goals that include creating greater visibility for the sport and recognizing world champions in each weight class. The organization's first order of business was assembling a group of journalists and bloggers to rank the best of the best in MMA. (In the interest of full disclosure, two MMAjunkie.com staffers are members of the rankings committee.)

Emelianenko is currently WAMMA's top-ranked heavyweight, while Sylvia checks in at No. 4. They meet at the Affliction "Banned" show July 19 at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. The winner earns WAMMA's first title belt.

While the notion of an "undisputed champion" would ordinarily pit the top two ranked fighters against one another, No. 1 versus No. 4 is as close as WAMMA can get. Both Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (ranked No. 2) and Randy Couture (No. 3) are under contract to the UFC.

The battle between former PRIDE titleholder Emelianenko and Sylvia, former two-time UFC champ, is the first of what WAMMA hopes will be a series of title fights, but stringing together meaningful match-ups to create undisputed champions will be a challenge.

Of the six weight classes ranked by WAMMA, heavyweight is the only division not currently topped by a fighter under contract to Zuffa. The UFC and WEC have traditionally not worked with other promotions to make fights and appear to have little interest in working with WAMMA.
link

Post #1   6/17/08 11:30:54AM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Chips:
this isnt surprising to me at all

my question is.....if Timmy wins will you consider him YOUR HW champ?

Post #2   6/17/08 11:32:24AM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
WAMMA is trying to be like The Ring magazine.

Alot of people clown on WAMMA, but if you look at who is invloved you'll see many respected MMA journalists.

Post #3   6/17/08 11:47:03AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Sylvia via Decision.

Post #4   6/17/08 11:54:14AM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Sylvia via Decision.

i picked him too

not too confident about it though

im just going w/ my gut on my picks lately

Post #5   6/17/08 11:58:02AM   

tibbs420

Banned

Career:94-60
Chips:
Im Goin 2nd Round Armbar For Fedor

Post #6   6/17/08 12:15:17PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
first round sub for fedor.

Post #7   6/17/08 12:17:28PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
yeah im not too confident in that pick either, but what the hell, gotta go for the underdog in this fight. im not a fedor fan.

Post #8   6/17/08 1:03:26PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Chips:
Why does no one want to talk about WAMMA? It was the point of the news article. You all have great analysis of the fight, but what about the actual topic of THIS THREAD?

Lots of respected MMA people are involved.

Sam Caplan is a veteran sportswriter who has covered the NFL, NBA, and Major League Baseball in the past. His work has been featured on sites such as CBS Sportsline, SI.com, and AOL.com. Caplan currently covers mixed martial arts on a full-time basis as the publisher of FiveOuncesOfPain.com as a contributing writer for CBSSports.com.

Todd Martin has followed mixed martial arts since the inception of the sport, and covered the sport for over five years. His work has been featured in the Los Angeles Times, Wrestling Observer, SI.com and CBS Sportsline. Todd lives in Los Angeles and has a degree from UCLA School of Law.

Mauro Ranallo is a Canadian sports announcer, with experience in football, hockey, professional wrestling, and mixed martial arts events. He is best known for his work as a play-by-play announcer for PRIDE FC and, more recently, Showtime for Elite XC broadcasts. He began announcing when he was 16 years old. Since September 2006, he has been the lead news anchor and play-by-play announcer for the Canadian combat sports channel The Fight Network.

Later, he provided play-by-play announcing duties for Muay Thai/Kickboxing events and King of the Cage mixed martial arts shows on Canada's TSN. From 1999 to 2000, he served as the play-by-play announcer for the legendary Stampede Wrestling TV show in Calgary. His color-commentator was the late Bad News Allen. He is most prominently known among MMA fans as the voice of PRIDE Fighting Championships PPV broadcasts in North America from 2003 until October 2006. He was also the play-by-play announcer for KVOS-TV's Top Ranked Wrestling for most of that program's run in 2005-06.
He also calls the MMA action on Hardcore Championship Fighting seen across Canada on the Score network.

Post #9   6/17/08 1:30:33PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,857-1,079
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I posted this article around a week ago and it was pretty popular, had over 20 replies i think but a mod deleted it without reason, but now it's ok to be posted ?

Post #10   6/17/08 1:53:43PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

I posted this article around a week ago and it was pretty popular, had over 20 replies i think but a mod deleted it without reason, but now it's ok to be posted ?

I think it was deleted because some kid told me to get Fedor's nuts out of my mouth after I complained that everyone was just posting their fight predictions and not staying on topic. Just like this thread. The mods love to delete threads I post in, sorry MMAcca.

Post #11   6/17/08 2:11:07PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

Posted by MMAcca

I think it was deleted because some kid told me to get Fedor's nuts out of my mouth after I complained that everyone was just posting their fight predictions and not staying on topic. Just like this thread. The mods love to delete threads I post in, sorry MMAcca.

No worries
I seem to be getting a lot deleted lately too

Post #12   6/17/08 2:12:38PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

Posted by MMAcca

No worries
I seem to be getting a lot deleted lately too

It sucks when one troll can come in and ruin a whole thread. They need to delete the offending thread and not the whole thing. This place would be more popular if the mods weren't so uptight.

The funny thing with that last WAMMA thread is that I wasn't even talking about Fedor and someone tells me I am nut hugging.

Post #13   6/17/08 2:18:39PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:
Props BloodyElbow:

Steve Sievert does some digging and observes what sort of hurdles are in the way for WAMMA to sanction meaningful matches up. Notable quote:

Emelianenko is currently WAMMA's top-ranked heavyweight, while Sylvia checks in at No. 4. They meet at the Affliction "Banned" show July 19 at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. The winner earns WAMMA's first title belt.

While the notion of an "undisputed champion" would ordinarily pit the top two ranked fighters against one another, No. 1 versus No. 4 is as close as WAMMA can get. Both Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (ranked No. 2) and Randy Couture (No. 3) are under contract to the UFC.

The battle between former PRIDE titleholder Emelianenko and Sylvia, former two-time UFC champ, is the first of what WAMMA hopes will be a series of title fights, but stringing together meaningful match-ups to create undisputed champions will be a challenge.

Of the six weight classes ranked by WAMMA, heavyweight is the only division not currently topped by a fighter under contract to Zuffa. The UFC and WEC have traditionally not worked with other promotions to make fights and appear to have little interest in working with WAMMA.

And the heavyweight division hasn't been the marquee division for the UFC for years if ever. So while Affliction and other organizations might be able to peel away disgruntled heavyweights, finding a way to do that with lightweights or welterweights is an incredible daunting if not impossible task. Good luck.

Post #14   6/17/08 3:25:51PM   

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Sylvia via Decision.

Im with you bro.

Post #15   6/18/08 12:06:53AM