Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC Event In Works for July 19

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

Posted by holt8081

I think Vera would get killed out there, plus I dident know Vera was going down to LHW. or am I missing something.

It was like a double wammy announcement there, huh.

Ya no kidding but oh well what ever gets good fights im ok with........It would just be nice if Dana called me next time so I can approve of all of this first thats all, is that to much to ask or am I just being a control freak.

Post #16   6/16/08 1:46:48AM   

F--K_Luck_AuH2O

Banned

Career:340-195
Chips:
I don't think this will affect Afflictions buyrate any. However I do think that it will keep the people who normally go out to bars to watch (because they are too cheap to buy) inside for the night.

Post #17   6/16/08 2:13:21AM   

cloud301336

MMA Regular

cloud301336 Avatar

Career:370-208
Chips:
wanderlei silva!!!!!!! thats all you have to say i hope he gets a title shot after this, if he wins.

Post #18   6/16/08 3:07:05AM   

MondayNiteMauser

Standup Guy

MondayNiteMauser Avatar

Career:888-565
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
i definately think this is part of the announcement but there will be more to it. The Vera/silva fight to me is a coin toss. I personally don't think they will be fighting each other but they will headline the card against opponents. dare i say Vera vs. Carwin and Wandy vs. Sokoujdou? thats my prediction.

Post #19   6/16/08 4:32:45AM   

CornishMMA

BANNED

CornishMMA Avatar

Career:497-280
Chips:
Wandy VS Vera would make me change my boxers several times, but i really dont like the UFC doing stuff like this - going head to head to hurt another companys ppv buyrates, i know its business but as fans we should be looking for the sport to grow and stay competative, this doesnt help that

Post #20   6/16/08 7:30:17AM   

twoguns365

Learning to Sprawl

twoguns365 Avatar

Career:1,656-1,131
Chips:
Pretty big news, but I'm curious about Vera. Wouldn't he be on some sort of medical suspension due to getting Ko'd this month. Isn't there some sort of automatic 3 month-thing?

Post #21   6/16/08 9:30:11AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i dont want to be the rain on this parade, but this is really short notice, and i have to wonder if this story really holds any water. ill be ordering the affliction card and DVRing the free spike event if this is true, and id think that a lot of others would do the same so im not sure that this would have a huge impact on the PPV buys. if this is true, and i do hope it is although im not convinced yet, i will be one happy little MMA fan on the 19th.

Post #22   6/16/08 10:40:17AM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
noooooooooo

who's fighting for 88 then besides Chuck and Rashad "LnP"Evans !
damn, if they keep scheduling fighters that card could be worse than 83.

Post #23   6/16/08 10:43:07AM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
that maad funny

Post #24   6/16/08 10:52:36AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I'm not so sure how I feel about this because I was planning on going to watch affliction and well now I'm not, so I guess their plan worked, with me anyway haha.

I'd rather only have 1 major mma event per night but ...

Post #25   6/16/08 11:51:50AM   

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

i dont want to be the rain on this parade, but this is really short notice, and i have to wonder if this story really holds any water. ill be ordering the affliction card and DVRing the free spike event if this is true, and id think that a lot of others would do the same so im not sure that this would have a huge impact on the PPV buys. if this is true, and i do hope it is although im not convinced yet, i will be one happy little MMA fan on the 19th.

I plan on ordering affliction and recording the ufc also, but i disagree i think it will have a big impact on the ppv buys. alot of people are ufc fans and not mma fans their is a difference. and some people will be like why pay $40 when i can watch the ufc for free. example couple post below yours.

i wish affliction luck, but the ufc are nasty when it comes to business which is partly why they are pretty much the only succesful mma org out there, and affliction isnt the best at business, i havent even seen any advertisements for affliction. if i never came to message boards or read mma news or watched inside mma, which im sure a lot of the non-hardcore fans fit that description, i wouldn't even have known anything about affliction, because they have barely done any promoting and the event is like a month away

Post #26   6/16/08 12:10:31PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
as I think someone said.. this is in poor taste its not fair to fans or the fighters... How many of the fighters themselves do you thik were curious to watch the affliciton event espically the HW's they want to see how Fedor and Tim go.. to see if they may have the shot to take on Fedor or not.. Even though I can't get the PPV I'll refuse to watch the UFC event if it is held out of spite.. I am an MMA fan Not a UFC ... I do not dislike the UFC but this would be bad for MMA in general... my only question is what is The Donald going to do to counteract this?

I just think dana is a baby and is more scared of affliciton now that the Donald has paired up with them Dana is scared... and with good reason.. The Dona;d does not like to lose... and he has pockets deep enough to float Affliction for a good while...

Post #27   6/16/08 12:26:11PM   

masterfister

Learning to Sprawl

masterfister Avatar

Career:543-291
Chips:

Posted by The-Don

as I think someone said.. this is in poor taste its not fair to fans or the fighters... How many of the fighters themselves do you thik were curious to watch the affliciton event espically the HW's they want to see how Fedor and Tim go.. to see if they may have the shot to take on Fedor or not.. Even though I can't get the PPV I'll refuse to watch the UFC event if it is held out of spite.. I am an MMA fan Not a UFC ... I do not dislike the UFC but this would be bad for MMA in general... my only question is what is The Donald going to do to counteract this?

I just think dana is a baby and is more scared of affliciton now that the Donald has paired up with them Dana is scared... and with good reason.. The Dona;d does not like to lose... and he has pockets deep enough to float Affliction for a good while...

The Donald may not like to lose, but he can and has. Remember the USFL?

I can't at all blame the UFC on this, it's straight up business and whether anyone wants to admit it or not, (and many here have) this is a business not just a sport. It's the world we live in unfortunately, every other major sports league has had to acknowledge this and if you want to see MMA make it into more than just a niche sport (and thus have more of it out there, and more readily available), you might have to get used to the idea.

Last edited 6/16/08 9:38PM server time by masterfister
Edit note/reason: spelling

Post #28   6/16/08 9:37:29PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I doubt this will happen and if it does I don't see a huge impact on Affliction. Wand is a big name and so is vera but people want to know who this Fedor guy is, they love AA, they love to hate big Tim and all the hardcore fans woulden't miss the Affliction card for the world.

Post #29   6/16/08 10:19:40PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

and all the hardcore fans woulden't miss the Affliction card for the world.

Good point, but how many hardcore MMA fans is there in the world ?

I think less than 100,000.....

Post #30   6/17/08 12:59:39AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3