Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lesnar, trainer Nelson prepare for Herring

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Raykill

TAKING A BREAK

Raykill Avatar

Career:289-247
Chips:
Just found this article on Lesnar.

Lesnar

Post #1   6/14/08 12:58:15PM   

MikeyMikeMichaels

Learning to Sprawl

MikeyMikeMichaels Avatar

Career:653-449
Chips:
Im looking forward to this match. I think It's going to be exciting and a good test for Brock's progress. I can understand why a lot of people dislike him. I believe it is mostly because he hasn't paid his dues like most of the top fighters today, but atleast they (UFC) are giving him good, solid competition instead of chumps and old has beens. Also I think is says a lot of Brock Lesnar for accepting tough matches instead of an easy win. I see that as having respect for MMA and what it's really all about. I'm glad Coleman is out (not about getting injured i don't wish that on any fighter) because I think this is a far better match up and will give the fans more bang for their buck.

Post #2   6/14/08 2:34:10PM   

GraMMA

MMA Regular

GraMMA Avatar

Career:890-539
Chips:
Herring looked like his old self against Kongo and Lesnar nearly killed Mir before the kneebar so I think this is a great match up.I do think Lesnars wrestling will prevail this time and he gets his first UFC win.

Post #3   6/14/08 5:33:12PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,881-1,084
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Does anyone else think Herring will destroy Lesnar or is it just me ?

I think Heath will weather an early onslaught, seecure a takedown and finish it via sub late in the first........(deja vu anyone ?)

Post #4   6/14/08 5:37:33PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
I think it is hard to say.. there is still alot about Brock that is an unknow.. he can hit is quick and strong like bull... A bit anxious and young to the sport so still prone to the "Rookie" Mistake... but he is very coachable by all accounts... if has been working hard .. We know Herring is going to be game.. if he is not brock will over power him..

Post #5   6/14/08 8:02:33PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

I think Heath will weather an early onslaught, seecure a takedown and finish it via sub late in the first........(deja vu anyone ?)

you think heath will secure a takedown? i think it will be a good test on brocks chin/pain tolerance for punches but i think lesnar will gnp a victory here

Post #6   6/14/08 11:27:21PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,881-1,084
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by gabe531

Posted by MMAcca

you think heath will secure a takedown? i think it will be a good test on brocks chin/pain tolerance for punches but i think lesnar will gnp a victory here

Yes and then finish it like Mir did

Post #7   6/15/08 4:11:41AM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:
i think if heath finishes it like mir did it will be just like mir. on his back after some good gnp. but heath isnt nowhere near mirs level at bjj though

Post #8   6/15/08 10:13:44AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by gabe531

i think if heath finishes it like mir did it will be just like mir. on his back after some good gnp. but heath isnt nowhere near mirs level at bjj though

for those who view a replay.. your just assuming brock an an idiot... He is an incredible athlete. Plus he is a college graduate.. not sure is gradepoint average but regardless he graduated... ... As an athlete EVERYBODY who has worked with him said he learns things quickly and well.. His fight with Frank was a learning experience.. and I think one brock will take to heart.. I seriously doubt brock will fall for a similiar move... now that does not mean Brock cannot be beaten by Herring.. by all acounts.. and I have only seen one Herring fight... He can hit... ANd brock still hasa basicly untested Chin. We all know he can wrestle.. The question is going to be can Herring weather the quick early onslaught Brock is more likely to bring Or is brock going to be able to dish out too much to fast... THe most important thing Herring Needs to do is control the pace of the fight... If it is hard and fast paced.. Ithink Brock will control it.. he is just too strong.... if herring can keep brock moving around andcircling and not let him get that hed of steam... Herring can slowly wear him down either by hitting brock which I do not even think frank got to do... or get to the ground and make in a Jits match and we'll see what kind of Jits skills Brock has picked up.. also a rather untested area for Brock... I do not see Herring winning a GnP against Brock.. I honestly do not see too many HW's at all weathering a Brock GnP.. as he is fast and powerful... I still think an expereince stand up striker and a real good ground subbmison guy has tools to be brock but a wrestler with GnP on his game plan I think will lose fairly readily to him... I am pulling for Brock but I think Herring has the toold to beat him as long as he avoid Brocks Strength early...

Post #9   6/15/08 12:07:34PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Everyone is hyping up Lesnars GNP but we havent really seen it yet, I'm sure it has potential but he is a fast, strong wrestler. Effective GNP takes striking which we only had a small taste of against Mir. I would be more afraid of having Tito Ortiz on me than Lesnar at this point......

WAR HERRING!!!

Last edited 6/15/08 1:29PM server time by jakeiceman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   6/15/08 1:20:49PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
From what we've seen of Lesnar's GnP, it seems to consist of multiple hammerfists to the back of the head. Good stuff if only it were legal.

I think this matchup is a coin flip. Brock looks like he's twice as strong as anyone in the Heavyweight division but obviously his technique is lacking. I think Brock will take him down quickly and start unleashing some brutal GnP but I think he's going to tire quickly and that's when I see Heath having a chance at securing a submission.

Brock seemed to be so amped before the Mir fight he looked like he was hyperventilating. Brock's in great shape, but if you're not breathing correctly you'll be gassed by the first.

If Heath can weather the storm in the 1st, he'll take it in the second.

Post #11   6/15/08 2:33:51PM   

MikeyMikeMichaels

Learning to Sprawl

MikeyMikeMichaels Avatar

Career:653-449
Chips:
Sorry to burst you bubble buddy, but Mir turned into those strikes. He was moving his head so much down there that even Anderson Silva would have a hard time making a good strike.

Post #12   6/15/08 9:29:22PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Herring has this on the feet, and brock has alot more unanswered variables there as well that could make him even worse then one would think.

Herring has a chin and he has mad heart, lesnar wont stop him with punches if he gets the takedown, i think hes just going to tire himself out. A big bulky guy throwing extremely inefficient hammerfists relentlessly wont be able to lift his arms for the second round.

Hes going to gas, HARD.

Herring tko in the second if brock cant secure the takedown in the second frame. His hands will be low and i think hell get caught good on the jaw.

Post #13   6/15/08 10:37:38PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MikeyMikeMichaels

Sorry to burst you bubble buddy, but Mir turned into those strikes. He was moving his head so much down there that even Anderson Silva would have a hard time making a good strike.

This makes no sense.

Mir turned into the strikes = Bad for Mir
Mir was moving so much Anderson Silva couldn't hit him = Great for mir

So Its
Brock Lesnar is a better striker then Anderson Silva
or
Mir is so great at getting hit by people that Anderson Silva couldnt hit him..

Post #14   6/15/08 11:29:15PM   

jimmypockets

ThE ThIcKFrEAkNeSS

jimmypockets Avatar

Career:1,090-730
Camp: RuStY CaGe FiGhT TeAm
Chips:
I think that Lesnar's only chance is going to be in the first 60 seconds. Herring should be way too experienced for Lesnar. On the feet and on the ground Herring has the advantage in my opinion. Hopefully we get to see this go past the first round. I want to see Mr. Lesnar's cardio. I question whether he is ready for a real war.

XB Live Gamertags- J1mMy PoCkEtS, Th3 Barncat

Post #15   6/15/08 11:34:57PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2