Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Donald Trump Makes His Move

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
When the Affliction clothing line announced its Affliction: Banned pay-per-view event, there was a great deal of skepticism. To be blunt, there is no way that the show will be able to make a profit.

Fedor Emelianenko, Tim Sylvia, Josh Barnett and Andrei Arlovski have big money contracts, and the ceiling for non-UFC MMA pay-per-views has been around 50,000 buys. That includes the Las Vegas Pride pay-per-views which had comparably star-studded cards, world-class production and a much stronger brand name. As a live event the Affliction show will take place at the Honda Center in Anaheim, which drew a $1.98 million gate for the last UFC show featuring Chuck Liddell.

LINK

Post #1   6/13/08 12:26:42AM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
The key in this in my opinion is absorb the loss at the begining, and hope for profit in the future. I know Trump is a risk taker, but I think he truly believes that this can be a successful promotion. Or he is just a hardcore MMA fan, and wants to see all these fighters fight on one card and is willing to fork over a few million just to see it happen. Think about if you were a multi billionaire and had the means, where losing a few million would not affect you in any way, and you could basically put together an all star MMA card just to watch it. Would You?

Post #2   6/13/08 12:33:18AM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

.... That includes the Las Vegas Pride pay-per-views which had comparably star-studded cards, world-class production and a much stronger brand name....

^^^^ These 2 terms should never be used in the same sentance. Ever.

Ever.

Pride had THE worst production ever. I have seen home videos of live child birth with more regard for thier viewer than Pride production had. Cutting to a STOCK SHOT of the cheering Japanese crowd in the middle of a match, in the heat of action, is unforgivable (just as an example).

As for spending millions to see a MMA card that I liked, if I was a billionare....what better to spend money on! Hell yeah, I'd do that. Then again, I'd hire assassins to hunt down some of the people on this board, too...so maybe my judgement is questionable

T777

Last edited 6/13/08 2:02AM server time by trench777
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   6/13/08 2:00:23AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
editing and production are entirely different.

Post #4   6/13/08 2:03:38AM   

Loot613

MMA Regular

Loot613 Avatar

Career:1,249-863
Chips:
Pride had WAAAAY better production than the UFC has ever had. Pride promos would make you think that you were on a different plane of existence. If I could have given you negative props on that post I would've. DREAM is coming close to Pride's creativity and ingenuity and I hope it surpasses it cause that's what we need. I think WVR and DREAM really need to pool their money and come up with something that could truly surpass PRIDE.

Post #5   6/13/08 3:38:16AM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

Posted by Mchubb316

The key in this in my opinion is absorb the loss at the begining, and hope for profit in the future. I know Trump is a risk taker, but I think he truly believes that this can be a successful promotion. Or he is just a hardcore MMA fan, and wants to see all these fighters fight on one card and is willing to fork over a few million just to see it happen. Think about if you were a multi billionaire and had the means, where losing a few million would not affect you in any way, and you could basically put together an all star MMA card just to watch it. Would You?

In a heart beat...

Post #6   6/13/08 3:58:10AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

editing and production are entirely different.

Slowly... Let go... of the nuts....

Post #7   6/13/08 8:35:11AM   

xburbx

MMA Regular

xburbx Avatar

Career:645-394
Camp: rafrojas
Chips:
I'll watch affliction, but it will hopefully crash and burn. Dana is better at the wheel than Trump will be. The only thing that makes sense is if Trump puts someone equal to Danas understanding in charge and just feeds him money

Post #8   6/13/08 8:48:47AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Trench777

Posted by MMAcca

.... That includes the Las Vegas Pride pay-per-views which had comparably star-studded cards, world-class production and a much stronger brand name....

Ever.

Pride had THE worst production ever. I have seen home videos of live child birth with more regard for thier viewer than Pride production had. Cutting to a STOCK SHOT of the cheering Japanese crowd in the middle of a match, in the heat of action, is unforgivable (just as an example).

As for spending millions to see a MMA card that I liked, if I was a billionare....what better to spend money on! Hell yeah, I'd do that. Then again, I'd hire assassins to hunt down some of the people on this board, too...so maybe my judgement is questionable

T777

I've noticed this on the Fox Sports showings,but never on the DVDS or live events.I always thought PRIDE's presentation,and production far surpassed the UFC.When you watched PRIDE,the entrances were amazing,and they were able to make you believe you were watching Super Heroes duke it out for the fate of the universe.With UFC it seems a bit underwhelming in that department.

Post #9   6/13/08 9:02:25AM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by Trench777

Posted by MMAcca

Ever.

I've noticed this on the Fox Sports showings,but never on the DVDS or live events.I always thought PRIDE's presentation,and production far surpassed the UFC.When you watched PRIDE,the entrances were amazing,and they were able to make you believe you were watching Super Heroes duke it out for the fate of the universe.With UFC it seems a bit underwhelming in that department.

Exactly. a lot of these guys only know replays on FSN and if you notice every time they show the crowd no matter who is fighting it is the same people the guy with the goofy sunglasses etc. then they go back to the fight and 3 minutes had expired. Like Pookie said it is EDITING and by the time it got to ESPN better believe they're cuttin corners. RIP PRIDE.

Trump can stomach anything so i think Affliction will succeed.

I am satisfide with the UFC. There is room for improvement but it is the best.

Post #10   6/13/08 11:39:05AM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
having trump will allow them to do what the WCW did in Wrestling... Turner sunk ALOT of money to attract big talent to his show in fact the show did not break even for a year or so before it turned a profit.. .. Then it made up its losses and was successful.. just never had the pocket Vince had hence the buy out.... Affliciting with Trump in the corner can hope to put on a couple really good shows offer better contracts to various UFC stars as thier contracts expire... steal them over along with the fans who like those fighters.. and then as word of affliction spreads more and more will tune in and get the PPV's espically if the likes of Couture and Ortiz end up there... Perhaps they go for CroCop or some other big names... the idea behind this is eventually the show starts making money.. and is no longer bleeding red.. eventhually the profits make up the early losses and then boom you have a successful show... With out a backer like The Donald... THis would be hard to do... Trump can affoard the losses of 2-3 milling on the first sevearal shows and not bat an eye... Even if trumpdoes not like MMA He is a buisness man... He sees the success the UFC is having.. and things by hooking in to affliction he can give them the money so they can become successful... Why did he pick affliction or not another show? Well I think maybe he either is a fan.. or a top advisor is one and he saw the card they were putting together.. I mean really if this were a UFC card people whould be drooling over it and having seziures and such waiting for it to get here. Its a great card and shopuld be very exciting.. granted the Average north American MMA fan may not know who some of these guys are... but with trump behind it they may beable to show off the legends a couple of them are and bring in more interest... If they were smart a couple of week after the show.. allow it to be played on either basic cable or free tv... just to gain more expousre... or gheck a free web cast a short time later... once fans can see some of these guys in action they will be hooked..

Post #11   6/13/08 11:54:19AM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
Not to mention Mark Cuban who is a mini Donald Trump. We're looking at a potential Powerhouse, an MMA Wrecking Machine!!!!

Post #12   6/13/08 12:17:23PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

Posted by Mchubb316

i highly doubt he is an mma fan, he is a notorious germ freak and doesnt even shake peoples hands haha

I think you were right the first time, he thinks it will be a smart investment.

Plus i think he could work out a deal with tito, he was already on his tv show

Post #13   6/13/08 6:48:21PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by billycarnage

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by Trench777

Posted by MMAcca

Ever.

Exactly. a lot of these guys only know replays on FSN and if you notice every time they show the crowd no matter who is fighting it is the same people the guy with the goofy sunglasses etc. then they go back to the fight and 3 minutes had expired. Like Pookie said it is EDITING and by the time it got to ESPN better believe they're cuttin corners. RIP PRIDE.

Trump can stomach anything so i think Affliction will succeed.

I am satisfide with the UFC. There is room for improvement but it is the best.

Yeah I agree.People really need to watch the PRIDE DVDS,as opposed as to what FSN shows.They end up getting a false sense that PRIDE constantly cuts to the audience,etc.I herd some people mention this the other day about Kimbo and JT,and I just wanted to smack my forehead and scream watch DVDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #14   6/13/08 10:26:14PM