Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Matt Hughes Wants Matt Serra Showdown

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Former UFC champion Matt Hughes had a long journey home after his defeat at UFC 85: Bedlam. Hughes was beaten in the second round of his fight with Thiago Alves at the 02 Arena in South East London. Hughes has had time to reflect on the defeat and consider his future as a fighter.

He shared his views on his blog at www.matt-hughes.com .

“Well, I didn’t think I’d come back writing something up after a loss. I fully expected to win, things didn’t go my way. Thiago came in big, some people told me that he looked bigger than me in the octagon. I didn’t expect that but I also think that had nothing to do with the outcome of the fight.

LINK

PS. Thiago really did come in big! He made Hughes look tiny in comparison i thought.

Post #1   6/13/08 12:20:26AM   

holt8081

MMA Sensei

holt8081 Avatar

Career:604-346
Chips:
im not a big Hughes fan but I will enjoy watching him dismantle Serra

Post #2   6/13/08 12:23:42AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
I really don't care for Serra, and any excuse to see him get pounded is ok in my book. But- Hughes has looked really old in his last few fights. His shot is well...shot. He just doesn't explode like he used to. And I'm not sure that he can hold his opponents down like he use to either. I'm not too familiar with Serra's sprawl but if it's B level or better I think Hughes would be in for a long night.

I am kinda hoping Dana saves Matt from himself on this one. He's already on that slippery downhill slope, and another loss- especially to a second-rate competitor like Serra would leave a pretty poor taste is fan's mouths. And finally, lets just say for instance that Serra wins- does that throw him back into contention for a title shot? I'd sure hope not, but it gives him an argument. And I'd prefer that he take his licks in another few bouts against the likes of Kos, or Diego, etc. Then he can take his rediculous "Serra Jiu Jitzu" (I feel dirty just typing that) and go home.

I'd also hope, that if this was to happen, they make it an undercard fight. Not a prelim by any stretch- But this doesn't have the headliner billing that it once would have.

All in all- Matt, I know it's been a great run. I can't say that I've been a huge fan, but I certainly appreciate all that you've done for the sport, and for the UFC. I'm sure that there are plenty of other avenues for you to travel, and be successful at. Good luck, thanks for the great memories. Don't be afraid to go, you're leaving the UFC in strong and capable hands. PLEASE let one of the younger guys be the final nail(s) in Serra's coffin. Don't allow him the oppertunity to be the last nail in yours.

Post #3   6/13/08 12:51:17AM   

gravy13

Standup Guy

gravy13 Avatar

Career:347-224
Chips:
This fight is going to happen whether anyone likes it or not. It's the whole "bad blood" aspect that's making this fight inevitable. Although I am not the hugest fan of these two, I really want to see this fight. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.....

Post #4   6/13/08 2:04:32AM   

Trench777

MMA Regular

Trench777 Avatar

Career:171-141
Chips:

Posted by gravy13

This fight is going to happen whether anyone likes it or not. It's the whole "bad blood" aspect that's making this fight inevitable. Although I am not the hugest fan of these two, I really want to see this fight. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.....

You're not. I'd love to see this one, too. I do agree with Bojangalz about it being a downer to see Hughes go down to Serra. Hughes is looking very washed up, of late...but I think (re: hope) he has the skills to put a beating on Serra still.

I'd love to see Serra shut up again, like after the GSP asswhipping he took. I -love- seeing him eat all the shit he talks. I never understood the media angle of him being "charismatic", at all.

T777

Post #5   6/13/08 2:20:31AM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
im pretty sure Dana White is gonna make that fight happen, imo Matt Serra will beat him pretty easily

Post #6   6/13/08 2:59:55AM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:
WAR SERRA!!!!!!!!

Post #7   6/13/08 6:58:48AM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Of course Hughes wants the Serra showdown its probably the only fight left that he has a chance at winning unless he starts fighting cans....

Post #8   6/13/08 11:19:35AM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Career:130-75
Chips:
i personally hope that serra beats his ass

Post #9   6/13/08 11:56:49AM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:

Posted by Bloodhound

im pretty sure Dana White is gonna make that fight happen, imo Matt Serra will beat him pretty easily

Post #10   6/13/08 12:16:37PM