Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Could Crush Affliction, Put Brock Lesnar on Spike vs. Fedor Emelianenko on PPV

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC is the undisputed champion of mixed martial arts promotions, but there are a few organizations that are trying to put some chinks in UFC's armor. EliteXC got a prime time network TV deal, and Affliction has a pay-per-view show next month -- headlined by Fedor Emelianenko -- that will have every bit as much MMA talent on display as a typical UFC pay-per-view show.

But UFC President Dana White could take a huge step to undercut Affliction and show that UFC is still the dominant dog: He could take the Brock Lesnar-Heath Herring fight, which is currently scheduled for UFC 87, August 9 on pay-per-view, and move it to July 19 on free TV or basic cable (most likely Spike), head to head with Affliction's pay-per-view show.

That would crush Affliction. Although I was skeptical about Lesnar when he first signed with UFC, he's undeniably a big draw. He's well-known from his days in the WWE, and MMA fans respect his background as an NCAA wrestling champion. Emelianenko is a much more accomplished MMA fighter than Lesnar, but among American fans, Lesnar's name is bigger than Fedor's, and if the choice is between watching Lesnar on basic cable or paying $50 to watch Fedor, for most fans, that's an easy choice to make.

Link

Post #1   6/10/08 10:02:35AM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
That article seemed like a troll thread. He has no source or even a reason to speculate, it is just his opinion of what would be a good idea.

Also, UFC could be seen in a negative light by trying to go head to head with another org. UFC typically just ignores the competiton and I think that trend continues.

I would let Fedor build a name with another org and then sign him. That would be the most damaging thing to do.

Post #2   6/10/08 10:56:01AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
go Brock!

Post #3   6/10/08 10:56:36AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

That article seemed like a troll thread. He has no source or even a reason to speculate, it is just his opinion of what would be a good idea.

Also, UFC could be seen in a negative light by trying to go head to head with another org. UFC typically just ignores the competiton and I think that trend continues.

I would let Fedor build a name with another org and then sign him. That would be the most damaging thing to do.

I've seen several articles from the guy on MMA, so I don't think I'd go as far as say he's a troll. Whether he has the inside scoop or just sharing his opinion, I'm not quite sure. The UFC has went head to head with their competition several times in the past though, so you can't say this is the first...the most recent would be the Ultimate Iceman marathon on Spike TV to battle EliteXC's first show on CBS.

Post #4   6/10/08 11:03:29AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:558-406
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

I've seen several articles from the guy on MMA, so I don't think I'd go as far as say he's a troll. Whether he has the inside scoop or just sharing his opinion, I'm not quite sure. The UFC has went head to head with their competition several times in the past though, so you can't say this is the first...the most recent would be the Ultimate Iceman marathon on Spike TV to battle EliteXC's first show on CBS.

That's a really good point, but the iceman marathon/chuck wanderlei fight didn't cost nearly as much money to put on as a card. I am a firm believer that competition will help the sport to grow so I hope they do compete with other organizations like affliction and dream. I'm just curious as to whether or not they are ready to risk not making the same dollar amount for putting on a ppv caliber show free on spike. It will be worth keeping track of.

Post #5   6/10/08 11:27:35AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jlock003

Posted by grappler0000

That's a really good point, but the iceman marathon/chuck wanderlei fight didn't cost nearly as much money to put on as a card. I am a firm believer that competition will help the sport to grow so I hope they do compete with other organizations like affliction and dream. I'm just curious as to whether or not they are ready to risk not making the same dollar amount for putting on a ppv caliber show free on spike. It will be worth keeping track of.

I think they would make that tradeoff in a heart beat. They will still make money, just not as much...and with as much momentum the Affliction card is building with Trump getting involved, it would be detrimental for their very expensive, first card to flop...they don't have enough talent to recoup fast enough for a second show with as much depth.

As far as going head to head, other examples are...having their press conference the same time when Handy had his...they went head to head with a CR event when they first started going to Euroope. It's nothing new, but it's smart business.

Post #6   6/10/08 11:38:27AM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
Go Brock!!!!

Post #7   6/10/08 12:37:49PM   

puppetmaster837

Standup Guy

puppetmaster837 Avatar

Career:216-132
Chips:
It seems like it could mess up some fighters training schedule or if they have injuries much less time to heal by moving it a month forward

Post #8   6/10/08 1:43:14PM   

xxdeadpoolxx

MMA Regular

xxdeadpoolxx Avatar

Career:890-595
Camp: Rocky Mountain Wrecking Crew
Chips:
Yea umm I'm going to that event and won't be too happy if they remove one of the main events won't happen

Post #9   6/10/08 2:08:20PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Chips:
That's not really news at all. That guy is just taking a proactive approach to trolling.

BTW, yeah it would be an easy choice for most fans between Fedor, Sylvia, Barnett, Arlovski, Rizzo, and Rothwell or Herring/Brock Lesnar. Any true fan of the sport would watch the better fighters, while the lame-o boo birds who boo when a fight isn't fought at a distance of 2ft while standing up and the WWE crossover fans will side with former WWE superstar Lesnar.

Post #10   6/10/08 2:08:52PM   

hodge

Standup Guy

hodge Avatar

Career:442-256
Chips:
Stupid arcticle hes claiming that watching one free main event involving two fighters is better than paying to watch some of the sports top fighters.

Post #11   6/10/08 2:12:25PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
that would be a pretty smart move, a little snakey but smart at the same time.

Post #12   6/10/08 2:25:41PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

That's not really news at all. That guy is just taking a proactive approach to trolling.

BTW, yeah it would be an easy choice for most fans between Fedor, Sylvia, Barnett, Arlovski, Rizzo, and Rothwell or Herring/Brock Lesnar. Any true fan of the sport would watch the better fighters, while the lame-o boo birds who boo when a fight isn't fought at a distance of 2ft while standing up and the WWE crossover fans will side with former WWE superstar Lesnar.

It's not just the crossovers...it's a matter of Free vs PPV. I know there are plenty of people on the playground that don't throw down the cash for all of the PPV's, so it would be the logical choice for them...not to mention, this is the same card with GSP/Fitch. Also, lets not forget that the majority of people who watch are actually casual fans. It would make a huge impact IMO.

Last edited 6/10/08 2:28PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   6/10/08 2:27:47PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
Personally I would rather pay for the Affliction PPV.....I have no interest at all in the Lesnar vs Herring fight, but i would be turning the channel when the GSP vs Fitch fight came on.....

Post #14   6/10/08 3:40:07PM   

jakeiceman

Banned

jakeiceman Avatar

Career:185-141
Chips:
Either way, whether your a hardcore fan or not, if the UFC does do this, it will crush the Affliction card, and I mean CRUSH it. The talent on the Affliction card is damn good but it wont be enough to beat a free card as good as this. I think it would be a smart move on the UFCs part to do this.

Post #15   6/10/08 3:47:36PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2