Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

McCarthy, ABC to Review ‘Grounded Knees'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
"Big" John McCarthy will propose legalizing knees to the head of a grounded opponent when the Association of Boxing Commissions meets for its annual convention July 2-5 in Montreal. McCarthy, who retired from officiating in December, made the revelation during Sherdog.com's Beatdown radio show on Monday.

"It's a good technique," said McCarthy, who refereed 535 matches during his 15-year career. "It's a very effective tool, and it opens fights up."

The most recognized referee in the game has met privately with ABC representatives in the last few months to discuss amendments to the sport's Unified Rules of Combat. The ABC will unveil their efforts at its annual gathering, where its membership of nearly 80 state and tribal athletic commissions throughout North America will review them.

McCarthy also addressed the controversy surrounding referee Dan Miragliotta, who was criticized for his officiating in the Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson-James Thompson main event at EliteXC "Primetime" on May 31 in Newark, N.J., and the Brandon Vera-Fabricio Werdum heavyweight matchup at UFC 85 on Saturday in London.

"A lot of people are all over Dan," McCarthy said. "Refereeing - it's opinion. Some people are going to look at you and say, ‘You're right,' and some people are going to look at you and say, ‘You're wrong.' We're all human."

Miragliotta made what many viewed as a crucial error in judgment in the Ferguson-Thompson bout on CBS, when he forced the fighters to stand after Thompson had passed Ferguson's guard and secured side control on the ground in the second round.

"When your opponent gets to side control, there are very few things you can do," said McCarthy, who was offered the chance to officiate the Ferguson-Thompson fight. "When you take a fighter out of side control, you're giving the advantage to one fighter over another. James was in a dominant position, and Dan stood them up."

Link

Post #1   6/10/08 6:58:48AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
I always prefared knees to the head on the ground, It makes the ground fighting more active as the person on the bottom has alot more to thnk about.

I never understood the argument that kneeing to the head on the ground is too dangerous......but kneeing standing up isnt!

Post #2   6/10/08 7:38:27AM   

ufcboss

In Full Mount

ufcboss Avatar

Career:404-246
Chips:
IMO they should be able to do nearly anything they want too, Maybe not groin shots or eye/wound gauging.

This Mixed Martial Arts right? Not Modified Martial Arts!!

But I will take it as it comes, Bring on the knees!

Post #3   6/10/08 7:55:13AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Somewhere Bas Rutten is crying tears of happiness

Post #4   6/10/08 8:14:45AM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
This would be great. I've always seen moments in fights where I'd cry out, "God, why can't they knee to the head?!"

Post #5   6/10/08 8:27:33AM   

ThugAngel

Learning to Sprawl

ThugAngel Avatar

Career:357-264
Chips:
hope they really do legalize knees to grounded opponents, and kicks to the head like Pride used to do i mean it's pretty hard to kick or stomp the head when they're on their back and see it coming anywayz

Post #6   6/10/08 8:55:37AM   

stock

Banned

Career:409-235
Chips:

Posted by ufcboss

IMO they should be able to do nearly anything they want too, Maybe not groin shots or eye/wound gauging.

This Mixed Martial Arts right? Not Modified Martial Arts!!

But I will take it as it comes, Bring on the knees!

I agree to a certain extent.
I have always preferred the Pride rules better.

Post #7   6/10/08 9:00:50AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,244-1,261
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Wow - McCarthy spoke pretty honestly in this article...everyone should read it.

He referenced the slam that Nate did as being illegal too - I didn't pick up on that while watching the fight, but it makes sense. No call from Herb on that one.

"I left because people were put into positions based on who they know, not what they know," McCarthy said. "It really drove me nuts. I did not want to be a part of that. It's a problem within our sport, and it needs to change."

WHAT'S HE TALKING ABOUT HERE????

Last edited 6/10/08 9:43AM server time by scoozna
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   6/10/08 9:37:34AM   

gsquat

MMA Sensei

gsquat Avatar

Career:407-229
Chips:
This"opens up the fight" too much. Higher chance of concussions and serious injury. Sorry but I think the rules are good where they are.

Post #9   6/10/08 9:48:14AM   

FantasyFighter

MMA Regular

FantasyFighter Avatar

Career:238-145
Camp: MMA Legends
Chips:
Without a doubt I think the knees to a grounded opponent should be allowed, however, Im not so sure about the kicks and stomps. Really, they just appear to violent of an act to the average joe. When someone shoots in and they get their shot stuffed and eat one or two knees on the top of the head for it, no big deal. But that is just not the same visual as someone who just got dropped with a punch and while they are on the ground, the other guy loads up and lands a big soccer kick right to the grill. I think the kicks to downed opponents are a hindrance to taking this sport mainstream because people will struggle to accept that. The first time someone lands a big soccer kick to a downed opponent on CBS, we will have every sportswriter in the country flaming MMA for being to violent and thats not something I want.

Post #10   6/10/08 9:55:12AM   

candynuts

Belt Contender

candynuts Avatar

Career:253-158
Chips:
Woo-Hoo! Hopefully they will be allowed to have knees to the head on the ground.
WAR Heath Herring!

Post #11   6/10/08 10:17:58AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I'm sort of on the fence on this one. Mostly because of the efforts to get the sport sanctioned in other areas throughout the nation. If it becomes more brutal, then it's going to become increasingly more difficult to gain sanctioning in additional states. On the other side of the fence, I feel like knees are a huge part of the game that the UFC is missing out on. As for the injury stats someoby else will have to pull them. I don't have a clue how many concusions/serious injurys result additionally from knees to downed opponents. Regardless of what decision they make I hope it helps the sport to grow opposed to setting them back a few years.

Post #12   6/10/08 10:50:50AM   

Biggee

MMA Regular

Biggee Avatar

Career:307-196
Camp: Clanton Gang Bitch!
Chips:
I like the idea, i really think it will make the fights alot better, and more entertaining. If the average joe wasnt such a pussy, then we wouldnt be having this conversation. People flip out, but it's no worse then boxing.

In boxing they replay the top knockouts all the time on tv, where people are getting knocked unconscious.
In soccer they are always showing where someone get's kicked in the head or a fight breaks out on tv.

The show, The First 48 will show bodys of humans on the ground with bullet holes in them, with blood everywhere.

This is not bad. If anything it's better, it'll make little kids quit getting picked on at school and maybe stand up and flying armbar that fat bully, and everyone will kick the bully's ass.

my 2 cents

Post #13   6/10/08 11:20:20AM   

bullettdodger

BANNED

bullettdodger Avatar

Career:332-207
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Wow - McCarthy spoke pretty honestly in this article...everyone should read it.

He referenced the slam that Nate did as being illegal too - I didn't pick up on that while watching the fight, but it makes sense. No call from Herb on that one.

"I left because people were put into positions based on who they know, not what they know," McCarthy said. "It really drove me nuts. I did not want to be a part of that. It's a problem within our sport, and it needs to change."

WHAT'S HE TALKING ABOUT HERE????

Perhaps people who drop to a division and automatically get a title shot, people who sign with the UFC and get a title shot, people who get more money just because more people know their name... i think that is just a few of the people John is talking about...

Also WaR Heath Herring, just like you said Candynuts, this opens so many doors for that guy. If the rule are changed, back in the fight vs Kongo.... it would have been a LOT quicker

Post #14   6/10/08 12:48:34PM   

hodge

Standup Guy

hodge Avatar

Career:442-256
Chips:
The pride rules used to rock bring back the old Chute Box tactics

Post #15   6/10/08 2:07:47PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2