Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMA doesn't need more rules, it needs the right interpretation

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Moments after being stopped by Fabricio Werdum with only a few seconds left in the first round at Ultimate Fighting Championship 85, heavyweight Brandon Vera did what most conscious fighters would do in such a situation: complain.

He jumped to his feet, got in the referee's face, milked the crowd's sympathy -- all for nothing. Arguing an early stoppage in mixed martial arts is like arguing a pitch's location in baseball. An umpire will never change a strike to a ball, and a batter just looks like a fool for even trying.

But Vera had a legitimate gripe Saturday. His fight was stopped too soon, even if the call did adhere to a hazy refereeing standard regarding unanswered blows.

Per the vague rule, a fighter's failure to intelligently defend himself is cause for stoppage; a fighter's covering up to protect his face from a flood of punches is not. Most of the time the standard is fair. But it caters to a specific situation -- one of many in a sport with numerous fight permutations. One that didn't occur in the Werdum-Vera bout.

Link

Post #1   6/9/08 5:13:23PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
Could I please see a vid of the stopage, I would like to know what all the ruccus is about. Props to the person to post the vid, it doesnt have to be the whole fight just the stopage!

Post #2   6/9/08 5:19:12PM   

Raykill

TAKING A BREAK

Raykill Avatar

Career:289-247
Chips:
So true, everyone see's fights in their own way. Ref's have a hard job and have to make quick calls. But I don’t know how many times I have seen where the fighter is just covering to avoid damage and just hasn’t been able to find the opportunity to get out of the situation.
The fight is stopped and the fighter hasn’t taken any real damage and can keep fighting.

Post #3   6/9/08 5:21:03PM   

TWITA

MMA Regular

TWITA Avatar

Career:1,375-811
Chips:
I keep watching this one over and over and I just don't get it. Yes - Verdum had a mount on Vera that wasn't going anywhere. However, Vera wasn't hurt, was blocking most of the punches, there were only seconds left in the round and (per Vera's post-fight interview) Vera was stating to the ref that he was OK. I'm not sure there is much more you can do (except for getting Verdum off of you - which he wasn't going to do). Same ref let Thompson land a few minutes worth of uncontested shots to Kimbo's dome and didn't stop that one - Miragliotta SUCKS!

Post #4   6/9/08 5:21:04PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by casey64

Could I please see a vid of the stopage, I would like to know what all the ruccus is about. Props to the person to post the vid, it doesnt have to be the whole fight just the stopage!

Link

Post #5   6/9/08 5:27:03PM   

thatfedorsohotrightnow

banned

Career:142-108
Chips:
One of the worst parts of the current state of reffing is the questions that refs ask the fighters. One ref asks are you ok? Another asks do you want to quit? Standardized questions and answers would help.

The second part of my fix is to NEVER LET DAN MIRAGLIOTTA REF AN MMA FIGHT AGAIN!

Post #6   6/9/08 5:38:20PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by casey64

Link

Sorry, grappler I have to spread the love, and thanks for the vid, on the other hand the ref shouldn't have stopped it IMO.

Post #7   6/9/08 5:42:05PM   

Martin-666

Banned

Career:93-68
Chips:
I don't think it should have been stopped, he was covering up. Bad call!!

Post #8   6/9/08 5:44:49PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Watching the slow motion replay, it looked like Vera was absorbing a lot of punishment, and those strikes were getting through. I think the ref shoould have been watching Vera a little more closely. Is he going stiff, are his eyes rolling up, something that conveys wether a fighter is hurt or not.

The main reason behind the stoppage as I see it is that Vera never even tried to buck him off or try for a hip escape. He just layed there covering up in survival mode.

What does Vera expect, he's not trying to escape. He's content to just cover up and let the punches rain down on him. I don't think there's any comparison between this and the KImbo fight, because Thompson was just letting his gloves fall on Kimbo. I wouldn't even equate the punches and elbows Thompson through while maintaining the crucifix to a light jab. Werdum on the other hand was throwing some serious leather.

You cover up to survive and don't attempt any escapes, just lay there and take your beatdown, then yeah they have a legitimate reason to stop the bout.

Vera just looked like a big baby playing to the crowd. He's lost two fights in a row now, and he asks for a rematch. Yo've got to be kidding me. Werdum would be a fool to rematch a guy he just beat, who's only a fringe top ten heavyweight with back to back losses.

No one's giving you anything for free Vera. Werdum's looking for bigger and better things, and you'll have to earn that rematch.

Post #9   6/9/08 6:06:50PM   

beerman77

Banned

beerman77 Avatar

Career:374-225
Chips:
since we are on the subject of the truth... what evere happened to him droppong down to 205 after big tim killed him. he was all about proclaiming his last fight as a heavy. .

Post #10   6/9/08 6:36:51PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by beerman77

since we are on the subject of the truth... what evere happened to him droppong down to 205 after big tim killed him. he was all about proclaiming his last fight as a heavy. .

yeah, he'd do a lot better at 205. as for the Werdum fight being an early stoppage, give me a break. He was getting smashed, those punches weren't hammerfists, and were going through his arms and hitting him in the head.
For Miragliotta!

Post #11   6/9/08 7:36:56PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
IMO i do think it was an early stoppage due just do to the fact that Vera never showed any signs of being hurt...I think Vera just thought he could lay there till the end of the round which is a mistake on his part....If he was doing more to try and escape i dont think the fight would have been stopped that early.....

Post #12   6/9/08 7:42:36PM   

dannyfrank

banned

dannyfrank Avatar

Career:130-75
Chips:
i dont think that was really a bad call. it might have been a little too early for the fight to end, but hey, the ref was just trying to keep vera from getting hurt. and to all of you people saying that the ref sucks, shut up. just because you dont agree with his decision doenst mean he sucks. i would like to see you do better

Post #13   6/9/08 8:12:18PM   

kaskd

MMA Regular

kaskd Avatar

Career:1,162-637
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
We've all seen Fedor fights or Nog fights that could've been ended b/c both of them were in a worse situation than Vera. The ref should take into account the level of fighter and who the fighter is.

The reason that fights are stopped is to protect the fighter. Vera didn't need protection he only had to survive a little longer, and he wasn't damaged enough at that point to consider a stoppage. I just don't like Miragliotta and don't agree with his stop.

Post #14   6/9/08 8:15:34PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
All arguments aside Miragliotta has to go. I really, truly believe he is bad for the sport. I've never liked him from the instant I laid eyes on him. There's something off about that character, and I have a pretty good instinct for that. I know it sounds lame, and you can call it like it is- based on nothing. It's just how I feel.

After seeing how he handled this situation and after seeing how he handled the Kimbo/JT situation I especially don't like the guy. I think he took payment or was coerced in the Kimbo fight and I don't think he had legitimate reason to believe Vera was hurt in his fight. If you're going to base a stoppage on "the potential for a fighter to get hurt" then you might as well call a stoppage before any of the fights even start.

Last edited 6/9/08 8:30PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   6/9/08 8:30:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2